1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 Opening on 2nd shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brownk80, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brownk80

brownk80 Member

While shooting doubles yesterday my K-80 was opening. It was difficult to tell if it began on the first shot (bottom) or second but it was very disconcerting to say the least. I had just finished shooting singles and handicap with no problems. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this? Any help would be appreciated.

Shoot well,

Brownk80

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know about your K80 but when my 682 Berettas start doing this, it is time to replace the locking bolt with the next larger size.

3. 1166

1166 Member

Probaly the locking slide spring has gotten week. I have had to replace a couple of them for the same reason, nothing lasts forever.

4. 333t

333t Member

Over-lubrication of the locking mechanism and camming surfaces can cause this.

Phil

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The "camming surface" on a K80 is the top latch- over lubrication has nothing to do with it

Was this barrel "fitted"? or not? Could it be so loose at the hinge pin or the headspace so great as to allow a large gap?

It probably is the return spring as mentioned or some grit or dirt preventing the hood going forward.

6. JRW

JRW Member

Do you shoot singes and caps with an unsingle? You said there was no problem there. Doubles do you shoot bottom first? Thus making the problem occur when top bbl is fired. Jerry

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I shot the Homestead Cup in the rain one year with a guy whose K-80 did the same thing. He said it only happened when it was raining! I thought at the time it was really too nice a gun to be shooting in the rain anyway. It was heavily engraved and had gold inlays all over.

8. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Thanks all. I did speak with Dan Lammers this morning and he told me that rain could make it happen as the surfaces are slick but it was probably the top spring. Called Kreighoff and they are sending me a heavier top latch spring for now until I have the gun serviced. These are the original barrels so I know they fit properly still with plenty of space between the barrel and top cap but it probably is time for service--just hate to be without a gun for a week or two.

Thanks again to everyone for you help.

Brownk80

9. andybull

andybull Active Member

If your lever is still facing right and the action opened upon firing, change the spring.

Andy

10. 333t

333t Member

The K-80's owner's manual advises only a light lubrication on the camming surfaces of top latch and barrel wings. It's interesting that rain could possibly have the same effect as over-lubrication in this area. The parts that mate are tapered to allow for wear take-up and this makes it more important that the tension spring is in good shape and that the parts aren't over lubricated. All in all, a superior lockup system on an O/U.

Phil

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Phil- how exactly do you think over lubrication could have any effect? the hood just moves further forward assuming that there is still movement and excess headspace exists

Over lubrication (whatever that is) would not play a part in a K80 flying open unless something else was wrong

Spring first but also investigate headspace - now know this is an orginal barrel are what need to be investigated (along with headspace of course is worn hinge reception cutouts)

Rather than ordering a spring you should probably take or send it to a gunsmith that deals with Krieghoffs

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. B.C.

B.C. Member

Dan Lamers is well qualified to repair any thing you need in the way of Krieghoff ! Bill Cook

13. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Thanks again for the input. Dan Lammers told me to check the barrel (O/U)without the forearm on the gun and there is no "wiggle" at all so it is doubtful that the culprit is the hinge. I am going to change the spring (heavier for guns made before 2000) and then shoot it again. Hopefully that should fix the problem. I doubt it is head space either but I will have it checked just to be sure.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments.

Brownk80

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Is it ready to BLOW UP? Just kidding,, I would do what GN777777 says.

It sure is not an all weather gun.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.