1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 Maintenance & Fitting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TDB III, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

K-80 Maintenance & Barrel / Stock fitting...........

Need help. Is there an instruction book/manual, etc., that can be purchased that would eventually enable me to do my own service on my K-80; such as replacing hammer springs, top-latch spring, firing pins, etc.? Also, same for fitting new barrels and/or stocks? I'm tired of sending my gun somewhere everytime something minor (my term) happens such as a broken/worn-out toplatch spring or hammer spring or firing pin or ??? Any thoughts or suggestions from the "self-made" gunsmith crowd...

TDBIII

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Kay Ohye's tape "Krieghoff: K-80 & Model 32 Gun Repair" is about all I'm aware of.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sent you an E mail with a K-80 schmatic enclosed. Maybe that will help. Bulge.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why do you think your K-80 springs are wearing out? Germans make very good springs, that last a very long time. But if you want to work on the gun yourself you will have to purchase some special tools. HMB

5. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

MTA Tom.....Thanks. I'll look into getting the tape. Much appreciated.

sarge.....Haven't worked on handguns much but I can tear any of my rifles (single shots, bolts, AR's) down, replace their parts, modify their triggers, etc., all day long and put them up against any varminter or hunter around who thinks their guns "shoot". Want to be able to do the same on my K-80's.

Barrelbulge.....Thankyou much. Just rec'd the schematic. This will get me started.

hmb.....In the past year I have had one hammer spring break and a firing pin break on one of my K-80's and have had the top-latch spring "fail" on another K-80 while at shoots. I've had to improvise and quickly fit one barrel to another receiver to finish the shoot but did not feel good about doing this given not having the knowledge about the K-guns. I then have to send the gun to Kerry Allor to have the repair done. I'd like to be able to do some basic replacement of parts in these situations and realize that I will need some specialty tools to accomplish same. I have quite a firearm tool and parts collection at present and don't mind purchasing more of same to make things easier should the need arise again.

Thanks All and if someone has a list or description of the specialty tools hmb refers to I'd appreciate it.

TDBIII

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

TDB III, I just brought up my old thread about the samething. Hope it helps you.

7. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

Hi Auctioneer: Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Hi Sarge: Not pissing and not turning barrels. Just want to get educated enough so that if something minor, fairly basic, happens when I'm shooting I've got the ability to take care of it in a competent manner. Don't get me wrong. I've saved for a long time for my K-80's and have upgraded them as I've been able to afford (wood, ribs, extra barrels, etc.), and I take care of them like they're the best money can buy.

TDBIII

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a Rottweil for almost 30 years. It has been rebuilt 3 times. I have learned to strip it down to bear frame. If I need to replace a spring I know how to and I have the tools. I have replaced hammer springs at shoots while people on the field waited. No I can't fit a barrel but somethings are best left to the gunsmith. I know when to stop and when to do it myself.

TDB III, Get the books and or videos and learn how to do what you can. Also learn when to stop and let the gunsmith do it. If you make a mistake it may cost you more then you think. Learn to stop and ask questions.

9. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

Auctioneer:

Thanks for the advice. I definately do have Kerry Allor do the things that are over my head. He has the lasers, the advanced machining skills/equipment and the equations for patterning the barrels and chokes depending upon the situation he is presented with. I'm still curious about barrel fitting though.

TDB

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The key is to educate yourself as to what each part does and its purpose. Then it is a matter of knowing what needs to be adjusted in which way to correctly fit. Most of this will be trial and error. Just remember when you are taking apart things, especially the K-80 receiver because of so many parts, to disassemble the receiver inside a plastic see-through bag. Cut open the bottom of a large bag and put your hands through the top and bottom. That way when you remove the pins and things, the bag stops the springs and pieces from flying across the room, and will save you hours of more frustration looking and listening for where the parts landed. Don't forget the safety glasses!

11. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

Stl Flyn:

Thanks for the tip. Would have never thought of the plastic bag. I've always put a receiver, etc. down in a box when first taking it apart in case springs go flying or little parts suddenly fall out of place. I also take pic's as I go along when taking something apart for the first time and/or tag parts with corresponding number if I have an exploded view that is numbered. Has helped me immensely in the past, especially when I have to leave a project for a period of time.

TDBIII

12. just_bob

just_bob Member

It's a pity they don't sell enough of these fine guns for someone to publish a takedown guide.

Many of us understand what the individual parts do.

It's knowning the sequence of take down that is the problem.

If I knew I only had to go half way to get to the firing pins, I could do that.

But if it took a complete tear down I'd not bother.

Special tools can't be that special. Maybe an arbor press would help.

I was a tool maker back in the day, expect something could be made if needed.

I have a K-80 schematic version with the old K-32 V-springs B.C. on trapshooters sent me.

If anyone needs a copy PM me. I check a couple times a week.

Just_bob

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

All of those spring failures you listed make me think they were not original K-80 parts. HMB

14. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

HMB:

Not sure about the springs. Kerry Allor didn't say a thing about the springs 'not' being K-gun springs.

TDBIII

15. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

For most work on a K-80 you can buy a Rem. 32 manual. It will rell you most of what you need to know. Bud Wood

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

k 80 parts diagram

k80 diagram

k80 receiver part names

k80 receiver schematic

kreighoff k80 gun rebuild instruction

krieghoff k-80 and model 32 gun repair

krieghoff k-80 firing pin maint

krieghoff maintenance