1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 Hi-Viz

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by bsd, Nov 24, 2016.

1. bsd

bsd Active Member

Is the K-80 front bead a simple unscrew/install for a Hi-Viz or does one need to use a heat gun?

2. silver sides

silver sides Active Member

I can assure you that if you use a heat gun the white part of the bead will melt!I never messed with mine but past threads indicated it should simply screw out.

3. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

It should unscrew unless if someone used Loctite. Then you would have to using a hairdryer to loosen the glue. I would suggest apply some pressure to loosen and if it doesn't move, either have a gunsmith look at it, or just leave it alone.

4. bsd

bsd Active Member

It's brand new

5. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

If your front sight has the screw to attach on the muzzle end, be sure to use the correct screwdriver to remove. You don't want to bugger up the screw head.

6. badbaddog58

badbaddog58 Active Member

So you bought a new k-80 cool and good luck also let me know what hivis bead you use or thread size as I want to change mine and where you got it

7. bsd

bsd Active Member

Yes, it has a screw. I have a complete collection of small screwdrivers, but it didn't come loose with moderate force and thanks to your comment, I didn't want to ruin the screw head.
    I'll try moderate heat and see if it loosens.

badbaddog58, I ordered it from Amazon for $25, model 1002.
    Just an experiment. I borrowed friend's gun with Hi-Viz and liked it; it stayed in my peripheral vision while I was looking at the clay. I want to use a colored sight for a week, then switch to the white that's included, then switch back and see which I prefer.

8. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind your warranty will be void unless you have the company work on your K80 or your factory trained.

9. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

I unscrewed it... no problem both barrels.

10. bsd

bsd Active Member

I installed the Hi-Viz on my second gun just for testing and I've been testing off/on since I posted this in Nov.
    My optometrist, a shooting optometrist, suggested the Hi-Viz because of my age and script.
    Double checked with Krieghoff, called and asked them to make sure since using heat to remove screws can be a PITA with small screws.

They said..
    One, no heat is required. One must use the correct size screwdriver (it came off with eyeglasses screwdriver and a bit of torque) .

Two, no "warranty issues" changing a bead.
    FWIW: if they gave me any "warranty issues" because I changed the front bead, I would switch to shooting a Kolar in a heartbeat.

11. badbaddog58

badbaddog58 Active Member

So have you made the change yet and what you think?? let me know what color you liked the best I always used the green.

12. bsd

bsd Active Member

OK. It's been 10 degrees here lately, only shot 1/2 a flat this week. Maybe between now and April I can try all the colors.

Search tags for this page

hivis sights for k80