1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hmb, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Having trouble with K-80. When shooting lower barrel once or twice per round after pulling trigger there is an audible click but shell does not fire. Little or no mark on primer cup. Pulled stock and checked firing pin. Looks fine, and functions properly. Thank you for any suggestions. HMB

2. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

its either a warn firing pin or a primer that is seated to deep. What primers are you using? Some have been known to burn firing pins. I would email Krieghoff today or call them tomorrow.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Could be headspace problem? have you had it serviced by Krieghoff?

it could also be a broken firing pin that rotates- so depending on the position of the pin- it either catches or might even be a different length because of its position

regardless- have it serviced by Krieghoff or by a Krieghoff certified gunsmith

regards

Gene

4. B.C.

B.C. Member

k80's have a two piece firing pin system

look for something else

weak hammer spring or ?

hope this helps, BC

My3johns thanked this.
  5. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

Make sure that you push the top lever ALL the way over to the right so that it locks. If you don't, the gun will still open and close but will automatically switch to the other barrel. You will hear a "click" but it is actually trying to fire the other barrel. This has happened to me on a couple of occasions when shooting an unsingle. Did not push the lever far enough and it tried to fire the top barrel.

Hope this helps

6. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

Make sure that you push the top lever ALL the way over to the right so that it locks. If you don't, the gun will still open and close but will automatically switch to the other barrel. You will hear a "click" but it is actually trying to fire the other barrel. This has happened to me on a couple of occasions when shooting an unsingle. Did not push the lever far enough and it tried to fire the top barrel.

Hope this helps

7. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

I had a similar problem. What was actually happening is the bottom barrel was not cocking. The upper barrel hammer was dropping, not the bottom barrel since it wasn't cocked. When I opened the gun I thought it was cocking normally. If you pull the stock off immediately after the failure, you'll see both hammers have fallen, if this is your problem. If the top barrel is still cocked and the bottom hammer is fallen then it is another issue. I needed to have the cocking levers replaced. I sent it to Ottsville and they repaired it.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Send it to Ottsville! There's a number of possibilities for your problem!!

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the gun out tomorrow and see if they work. HMB

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the gun out tomorrow and see if they work. HMB

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I took the gun to the range today and it worked just fine. Last night I soaked the front of the receiver in mineral spirits and gave it a thorough cleaning. HMB

12. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

I too am having FTF's in the lower barrel of my new K-80. Problem started when I switched to Fiocchi primers, but I don't think it is the primers fault because the FTF's only happen in the bottom barrel. When the FTF occurs there is a very light indentation in the primer and the shell will fire if I take the shell out, put it back in the lower barrel and try again.

I took the stock off (for the first time) and it looks dirtier in there than I would have suspected since I only have 25,000 shells through it so far.

How do I clean the inside of the receiver and especially the firing pin holes?

13. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Send it to Norbert and get it fixed. He is not at Ottsville. He is at San Antonio. Allen

14. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

I have had a similar problem with both Fiocchi and Cheddite primers. Not all of these primers, just certain lots. I have loaded and shot 30,000 Cheddites before I encountered the problem. With the Fiocchi I purchased 3 cases and had no problems with the first 10,000 primers but multiple problems with the last 5,000.

I sent my gun to Ottsville and after an extensive service, including the measuring and replacing of the firing pins and springs, the gunsmith's conclusion was the gun was to spec, before and after the service. He said that some primers have thicker material on the primer cap. It seems to be a variable in the manufacture of some primers. He related a similar case of another customer that had problems with new Gun Club shells.

When I run into one of these FTF, I just re-shoot the shell and I have never had one not go off the second time. Because of this issue I never shoot these shells in competition. However I have switched to Remington and Winchester primers and have never had a FTF with these primers.

The firing pins and firing pin springs (not the hammer springs) are contained in a separate housing contained within the receiver. To remove it you will need to remove the top cap and lever. If you haven't done this before you need to have some one show you or send it to a Krieghoff certified gunsmith.

You can soak the receiver in some kerosene and blow it out with compressed air. This may help, but you really need to look at the complete firing pin (removed from the gun)to make sure it isn't burned or shortened. If the pins are OK then consider hammer springs. If they're OK then it's primer cap material.

I hope this helpful. If you want to discuss email (drop the XX at the end) me and we can connect for a call.

Jim Pappas

15. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

claycruncher,

My lower barrel FTF is also, like you, only with Fiocchi primers. I have never, repeat never, had a FTF with either W209's or R209P's. For example, I can load up 100 shells with Fiocchi's and I will generally get 1 to 2 FTF. The last time out, however, I got 4 FTF which is what prompted me to ask you fellows for advice. I have on several occassions taken the same hulls that had been previously loaded with Fiocchi's and then loaded them with W209's or R209P's and they all fire perfectly. Since the Fiocchi's are so much cheaper I figure I can live with 1% to 2% FTF (but not 4%) for practice shooting. I will use my W209's or R209P's for serious shooting. If the problem is my gun, it is so marginal that it is only showing up on the Fiocchi's.

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

hmb, I use the soaking method as well. I have an ultrasonic cleaner and in order to keep the solvent as clean as possible, do a good cleaning of the receiver before soaking it. I put a piece of white kitchen paper towel in the bottom of the tank, lay the reciever on it, and fire it up.

In an hour, there's a perfect outline of the receiver on the towel made up of all the tiny stuff that collects and you can never get out. I've fixed a lot of missfiring problems this way. Sure beats shipping it to Ottsville, doesn't it?

Neil

17. K-80 Jim

K-80 Jim TS Member

hmb, the attached link may offer some help.

Shoot well,

Jim

18. Bow Hunter

Bow Hunter Member

hmb had the exact problem you state after cleaning my K-80 in mineral spirits. The problem arises from lack of lubrication between the hammers. As they heat us from shooting they swell and bind on each other. After cleaning some lubrication must be put on the inside of the hammers. This will (and did for me) eliminate your problem.

Al

19. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

tractorboy: I found that the number of FTF per box of reloads varied. Sometimes I wouldn't have any and the next box might have 4 or 5. I would suggest that you have a gunsmith check out the firing pins and hammer springs to avoid problems in the future. You don't want something to go south in the middle of a shoot.

Also BowHunter's suggestion is interesting. It's any easy fix. Give it a try and let us know how it worked.

20. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

I found this info doing a search for K-80 receiver cleaning. They (Kreighoff UK)apparently don't recommend soaking the receiver in a solvent because it will remove grease from hidden areas where it can only be replaced by stripping the receiver down. Here is the link http://www.krieghoff.co.uk/26.html

For you fellows who soak your receivers, how do you re-lube the inside of the receiver? Have you encountered any premature wear from removing the grease?

The text of the link is as follows:

Reciever Cleaning Donald Blue - 02:06 01/07/1998
    What is a good method for cleaning the K-80 reciever? I shoot practice three times a week, I average 600 rounds per week.

Re: Reciever Cleaning Donald Blue - 04:28 03/07/1998
    I have removed the stock and submerged the whole reciever in kerosene and then used Krieghoff spray oil to re-lube the internal parts, I have been told that the kerosene contains enough petroleum as to not cause any problems? Do you think that this is ok?? It seems to work without any problems and it removes all the tiny bits of crud that gets inside.
    : What is a good method for cleaning the K-80 reciever? I shoot practice three times a week, I average 600 rounds per week.

Receiver Cleaning Alan - 17:33 03/07/1998
    Don,
    I don't really recommend soaking the whole receiver in anything and I will try to explain why. When the K-80 is built at the factory every part is properly lubricated with a special grease with very strong adherent properties, this means it stays where you put it. Special attention is given to contact points on spring ends and any surfaces that rub together. The same treatment is given to the gun when it is stripped and cleaned during routine servicing by any Krieghoff authorised repairer. When you soak the receiver in a solvent such as kerosene you will remove all this grease. Simply spraying the mechanism with a lubricating oil does not gaurantee that you actually get any into the places that matter. I know that some oils have a "creep" nature and do get to most places but you cannot be sure that you got the oil where it is needed. Secondly, oil does not have anything like the same lubricating properties under load as does a specially designed grease. As if all this was not enough, oil will not stay where you put it, over a short period of time it will drain down leaving some vital areas of the gun unprotected. Lastly, excess oil in the mechanism will soak into the head of the stock and destroy the grain structure of the wood (one reason why I always recommend guns are stored muzzle down). I don't believe that you will have done any damage to your K-80 but I would have it stripped and rebuilt by an approved shop. The inside of the mechanism should not pick up much in the way of debri shooting even a 1,00 rounds a week. I check mine out periodically and it is perfectly clean after six months hard use. You need to consider that if the inside of the head of your stock is oil soaked it will have bits of blackened wood falling off into the mechanism all the time. Best solution is to dry the wood off as well as possible and remove any bits sticking in this area. If your K-80 has been properly put together after service, the mechanism will not need any lubrication for a whole year, the only maintenance required is to take off the stock and chase any water out after a wet day. A light spray with a water repellent oil will do the trick and a light spray will not be enough to remove the grease.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
krieghoff certified gunsmith

krieghoff k80 cocking levers