1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 for hunting pheasants ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Do any of you who shoot Krieghoff K-80s for trap use a K-80 for hunting pheasants or other upland birds ?

Assume a different stock and barrels.

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

One of my closest friends Paul shoots English Springer Spaniel Field trials. He Shoots a K-80 Shul Scroll Lightweight with 32" And 34" barrels. The stock dimensions are about 1 5/8 x 2" and about 3/16 left offset for a lefthander. As far as I can count he has shot at least 50,000 Pheasants in the last 20 or so years.

He also hunts shoots trap and Skeet with his K-80. Last Tuesday he shot a 98 at 16 yards. Nothing special until you take into account he does this low gun.

I have a model 32 with 32" barrels I just got and plan on using it for everything as well. My prior two everything guns were a Gamba and a Beretta Dt-10 Trap gun.

I have found that is the load selection for Pheasants is more important than the gun.

Joe goldberg

3. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I shoot K 80 for trap but shoot K 20 for pheasants and quial. thanks Ronnie

4. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I would think either a K-80 or a K-20 would be to heavy to lug around in the field.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My oldest son tried that trick one day. His ears were ringing when he came home!!

6. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I don't shoot a K80 but I do hunt with my MX8 with a sporter stock and Briley Chokes. I also shoot trials NSTRA and AKC Retriever Trials with it. 31.5 bbls It is the gun I shoot the best so why not shoot it. I just change stocks to shoot trap. Live Well Wayne

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That would be my concern, the beating it would take in the field. I can see how if shooting a sporting gun for 1000's of rounds a year, you would be better off shooting the same gun while hunting. I found that out this year while trying to duck hunt again after 20 years. Still can't hit sh%$ with that old 870.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The only thing that takes any beating besides the birds is the stock finish. Unless your the kind that couldn't live with a scratch or two. I say shoot the gun you shoot best. BEWARE THE MAN WITH ONE GUN!

On the other hand there is another solution Coat the stock with a better finish. One of my commercial customers calls the finish I use double diamond. It's as hard as a diamond and as clear as one. Actually it just a high performance clearcoat.
    Joe goldberg

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

My good friend uses his K80 sometimes to shoot pheasants at tower shoots.

I have used my Perazzi 20 gauge for tower shooting. I plan to use my MX12, when it arrives, for tower shooting.

With tower shoots, you can sometimes shoot more in one day than all season of "hunting" so shooting a K80 at such a venue is not a bad thing when using those pheasant loads.

For "hunting" and if you wanted to use your K80, I would buy a plain jane lumber board looking stock set or a used stock set at a good price and just switch out the stock set (provided you have forearm iron too).

For those that shoot at gun dog field trials: how does that work? no dog here but am always on the look out to do any type of game shooting, aside from the regular "hunting". Do these field trials ask for volunteer shooters to participate? I had come across a British labrador breeder that hosted a field trial and they used a duck tower shoot to run the competition. Shooters have to pay a couple hundred $$ fee to participate in just the tower shoot.

10. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I used my Browning Ultra XT w/32" barrels for pheasants a couple of times. It was a little heavy, but I shot it well.

Chris

11. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I've used a K-80 LtWt for years usually with 28" barrels that have a tapered-step rib and screw-in chokes and a JS AirCushion stock. Works great. Before I started using the K-80 I used a Perazzi Mirage that had the barrels backbored and Briley's added --- pheasants and waterfowl in a field blind - never salt-water.

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Why would using a K gun or a P gun in the field be any different than using a fine Parker or M21 in the field?

13. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I use my K-20 for pheasants. I hunt mostly at one game farm where we typically hunt solid for 3 hours, break for lunch and then hunt 3 more hours, sometimes four. I use a 28" barrel as I found the 32" tubes I started with a bit too long as they tended to get hung up in the grass more often. I shoot the Federal 3" copper plated 5's at 1300 feet per second. I have killed or dropped birds at unbeleivable ranges with this shell. I use full and modified chokes. The owner of the farm usually guides us and his labs have a tendancy to flush the birds out a bit so this combination seems to be the best.

As for scratches, none yet in my Wenig custom stock and I have hunted with it many times. As for weight, yes, it is a bit heavy, mostly due to my huge stock but my shooting percentage is very very high. I guess I'll live with it.

Mark Zauhar

14. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

sernv99 At a lot of AKC Hunt Tests and Field Trials the handler cannot carry a gun, and only designated shooters can kill game, also lots of NSTRA entrants like to have a designated gunner so they can handle the dog. AKC is always looking for gunners in the Retriever and Spaniels Tests. Be forwarned you must be able to kill live birds. I have watched die hard clay shooters fall flat on their face in this game, while some kid that hunts with dad is deadly. I get my gunners from both the trap and skeet clubs I belong to, but only from guys I know that hunt. Great shots that are familiar with their guns and have no problem shedding blood. Live Well Wayne

15. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

K80? Target games, yes, doves and maybe ducks & geese, but no way in hell would I be lugging one around for upland stuff. A 6# gun is as heavy as I want to carry, ever.

16. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

For me it would be too heavy. I suppose this depends to a great degree on how big and strong the shooter.

A K20 would be grand as would a 20 ga Perazzi...but these are still generally expensive guns for upland hunting.

17. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Force Break: thanks for the info on the gun dog hunt tests, it's very interesting. I think doing the gunning at this type of event would be nice to participate in. I'll try to hang around at a few events and see if maybe this is something I would like to get myself into. Thanks again.

18. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

People will drive $35,000 trucks every day but will not think of carring a $10,ooo dollar shotgun in the field. A truck is more likely to get scratch or dented on the highways than a shotgun scratched or dented in the field. I am picky about trucks and shotguns. IMO thanks Ronnie

19. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use a K80 lightweight all the time- I changed the trigger to a K32 and put a K80 shortened barrel (25 inches) with briley chokes on it

Have a k32 trigger guard

Use K32 oil finished trap wood( much lighter and thinner than K80 wood)

Weighs less than 5.25 pounds in 12 gauge

Regards from Iowa

Gene

20. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If you shoot alot with an 8 or 9 pound gun shooting a 5 or 6 pound one will not be nearly as consistant on the longer birds. If shooting really heavy cover at short shots a light open choked gun is fun.

Most of the pheasants I shoot are either over dogs, Tower or driven birds where most of my shots are 50+ yrds and a few are 75 yrd or a bit longer shots.

Joe goldberg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

k80 upland birds