1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

k 80 factory nitrate finish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

No cons

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

From what I have seen and heard locally on two different K-80's it is durable, looks good and won't stick to any gold that you have on a gun.

John E.

3. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

The nitrate finish was used to replace the old coin finish. It has the look of coin but is much more durable and won't wear as bad. However, it will not stand up like nickle will over the long haul.
    I have had K-80's with all of those finishes along with blued and the nickle is the most durable, then nitrate, coin, and blued was by far the worst for wear.
    The nitrate is a first class look.

4. fly

fly Active Member

My K-80 Nitrate finish was done poorly, but un-noticeable when I received the gun. I got the gun in 2003 new, and when I shot it, the receiver had Tarnish spots appear on it, that didn't come off easy. Krieghoff originally blamed the oil in my hands, but that didn't explain that it would only spot in the same locations, and not everywhere I touched it.

They replaced the receiver with a new one (6 month wait) and the problem was gone.The Nitrate finish from the factory was not put on 100%, and ultimately had coin finish surfaces that were unprotected.

5. fly

fly Active Member

The nickel finish gets shiny spots where you hold it. They all have some concerns, but still probably your best choice.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nitride is much more durable than nickle- I dont know the numbers but if I were to guess I would say Nitrate is 50 times more durable

Someone above said nickle was more durable- that is wrong in my experience

I dont know guys---------- I have had a bunch of nickled receivers and several nitride ones so someone might think they had one type of finish but really had another

Now nickle is a good finish- I am not saying that it isnt- it is a lot more durable than blue or any of those bake on coatings but it isnt in the same category of nitride

nitride is not a coating- its an actual chemical change to the top 3 thousands of the surface metal as I remember and it is hard- very hard- so hard it makes a great way to refinish a K32

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.