1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 didn't survive fire! looking for help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Krieghoff---Ottsville----- Or Allem guns----SJB

2. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Go to Ottsville with it

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

something like that needs to go back to Germany

Send to Ottsville

Gene

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I would think by the time you're done, the cost to bring back to safe condition may outweigh the value of having it done. Depending on the heat, you may be looking at a complete anneal and reharden, remachining if there was warpage, refinishing, complete replacement of internals, ect. Just a re-nickle by itself is going to run you over $500.

I would think $1500 to $2000 would be a starting point for having this brought back to serviceable condition.

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Call Braxton at Krieghoff in Ottsville. If you live nearby, call him and make an appointment.

7528 Easton Rd.
    Ottsville, PA 18942
    (610) 847-5173

Tell him what you have and that you want to send the metal (or the entire gun) to him for evaluation.

Tell him you don't want them to do anything with it until after they evaluate it and can tell you (a) if it can be repaired, (b) what needs to be done, (c) what it will cost and (d) how long it will take.

Braxton will not BS you, nor will the people at Ottsville, IMO.

If they tell you it cannot be salvaged, count yourself lucky to have invested the shipping cost to find out, rather than having someone try to repair it and find out you wasted a bunch of $.

Also, there might be some insurance coverage available under a homeowner's policy, so don't overlook that.

Gene in Illinois

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

A lot depends on whether things fit together and work. Do they?

7. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Turn it in to the insurance company and get a new reciever. You did have insurance didn't you.

Doug

8. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Most guns that go through house fires are not salvageable. That gun needs to go back to the manufacturer and get evaluated to see if it can even be saved.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Well, if the fire was that hot it annealed the receiver at least it's now an engravable paperweight!!

10. oleolliedawg

Trust Krieghoff. They may know plenty more about the hardness requirements in various critical parts. Without a Rockwell testing unit the rest is guesswork!!

11. g7777777

Border Bandit-- how would allems have any equipment to tell if the metallurgical components of that receiver are safe?

BS

There is a liability attached to this receiver for the current owner because he knows it was in a fire. Not only if he is shooting it and it blows up and injures someone nearby but particularly if he sells it.

Don't be stupid

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. g7777777

Border Bandit- that is the point--- no one knows- but what we all do know is that it has been in a fire and fires often make guns unshootable and unsafe unless repaired

So if I seemed abrupt that wasn't the intent but to recognize the true liability of the owner--- we kind of get pushed into one solution don't we?

Now if Allems with their "equipment" and with no charge can or will give a written release that it is safe- I guess we don't have a problem do we

So do you think that will happen given your faith and knowledge of their "equipment"?

All this will do is to add expense and create delay-

Gene

13. oleolliedawg

I worked in a machine shop for over 30 years. We had machine operators, machinists, quality control people, metallurgical engineers and everyone in between.

We never asked a machine operator to perform a metallurgical failure analysis. Back in the 60's we had a few 175mm cannons fail in Viet Nam. We didn't go back to the guy who turned 'em for an opinion. Some things are best left to professionals.

The manufacturer-Krieghoff International-should have people in place or access to individuals with the expertise to make the correct decision. The rest are wannabees!!

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I was just imagining what Gene looks like while reading his comments above and the first image that popped into my mind was Biden. Just saying.......

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

blizzard, that's too funny. I was going to comment on what a pi--ing contest this thread became from a poor guy asking for help. God help us what a group.

16. oleolliedawg

Maybe not so much a peeing contest but an attempt to provide correct information to an inquiring individual. Gene may not have been politically correct but he certainly nails this one!!

17. g7777777

Not politically correct would have been saying it is a DUMBASS idea to mess around with the safety of a fire damaged gun and to try to take shortcuts in the area of safety is stupid

Now everyone has an initial point to make but to continue to suggest that anything other than total safety is the goal here after reading other people comments to that regards is plain stupidity isn't it? Someone that is politically incorrect would have said that--- I didnt

Or to point out that 20 years from now as you are trying to fund moving into an assisted living community you get sued because you knowingly sold a firearm damaged in a fire and never had the proper authorities approve its use.

That might happen even 20 years after the fact and several owners later.

That would have been politically incorrect to state that.

I didn't

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS I like to think of myself as one of the more politically correct people in the world or at least that post here.

18. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Reading this post has got way off what was asked, he never asked the leagel part of repair. If you read on most barrels it will say USE FACTORY LOADS ONLY. Now are all you that have shot reloads in these guns going to be responsable 20 years from now as stated. I think no one will give written paper work declaring this gun safe. IMO thanks Ronnie

19. oleolliedawg

It'll be plenty easier to determine the receiver was in a fire than if a previous user shot reloads!!

20. g7777777

It isn't only the legal-- I somehow think you have an obligation as a person to make certain this is safe

Ronnie you might be correct--- however maybe Krieghoff can send it back and have it stripped and annealed and the surface retreated or maybe they will say it is ok-- as is

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.