1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 - Bore Diameter Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by krieghoff80, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

any where from .730 to .735

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

the Krieghoff bore diameters is what is leading me to dump Krieghoff and go with Perazzi. Just recently Krieghoff started offering .735 bores in their O/U guns. Perazzi can go all the way up to .740. My 2009 K80 ProSporter came in at .732.

With respect to their small gauge, Krieghoff has a average bore size for the 20 gauge at .615 while Perazzi allows you to order all the way up to .630.

For 28 gauge, Krieghoff has a bore size of .543 while Perazzi will allow up to .555 bore diameter.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The difference of a few thousandths in bore biameter is mental at best. You might want to ask Briley if they agree with my opinion. Does anyone actually know how little .005 really is? Obviously not!!

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"If the bore is over .725 it is not a true 12 ga.."

I thought the nominal bore size for 12 gauge was .729, Roger.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Roger is correct. A .725 bore equates to 12 Gauge, by definition! Anything other than that is something other than a 12 Gauge but NOT a true 12 Gauge.

Overboring the 12 Ga. was supposed to produce better patterns, reduce recoil, stop global warming, increaser gas mileage and all other such wonderful things. I seriously doubt that anyone can tell one from the other after shooting and handling both. Does overboring increase scores? I personally don't think so. Many top shooter shoot guns of different manufacture and therefore different bore diameters. If one produced superior scores, they would all probably be shooting the same thing.

Kolar now produces a .750 bore diameter, up from their previous .740. Gunmakers toy with lots of things in their continuing efforts to separate customers from their money. It's called "marketing".

6. Maurice

Maurice Member

MTA TOM is correct, .729" is the correct size for a 12 gauge. This bore diameter was arrived at by using the formula that 12 balls of lead of this diameter equal one pound. Maurice ( The Brit. )

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"The standard definition of shotgun gauge assumes that a pure lead ball is used. With this assumption, since the room temperature density for lead is 11.34 g/cm3, and with there being 7,000 grains to a pound, the following formula results:

[​IMG]

This formula accurately estimates the diameter (dn) in inches of any shotgun gauge size (n)."

.729 QED

8. brownk80

brownk80 Member

sernv99,

I am not clear on your reasoning for changing from a K gun to a P gun. Could you provide a little more information please.

I have never worried about the bore diameter of the guns I shoot but whether or not they have good patterns and break the targets well so I guess I am not as knowledgable as I thought.

Maybe we can get Daniel and Deiter to arm wrestle over this and the winner gets to determine the correct bore size for each guage.

Brownk80

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is also very important to have the thickness of the soles of your shoes directly proportional to the bore diameter of your shotgun. HMB

10. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Minor bore diameter differences...... another "shotgun fad" to get us to spend more money on guns...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bore diameter of a k-80 shotgun

how to detrmine bore diameter on krieghoff

kreghoff 12 ga bore size

kreighoff bore diameter

krieghoff 18 7 bore sze

nominal 12 gauge bore of krieghoff

perazzi bore diameter 12

shotgun gauge formula