Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

K-80 Blowups what area is it happening in

5K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Dr.Longshot 
#1 ·
K-80 owners that have had K-80s blow up, where was the problem area? Was it an O/U Bbl? Which Bbl top or bottom?
Un-single what area of the Bbl let go, and where? Be as specific as possible so we can see if ther is a relationship to other K-80 Blow ups.
What was the serial number of the gun Omit last 2 digits, interested in the year it was built.

One step further did you purchase the K-80 New or Used?

Also list if re-loads were being used, and the load you were using, powdercharge, shot charge, hull, wad, primer.

If new shells what brand? and load.

Personal scientific study going on here.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#3 ·
Another rumor to add fuel to the fire. I was told about a Dr. in Florida who was injured when his K-80, Malfunctioned ( I don't want to use the words blown up). In the subsequent attemt at litigation, an out of court settlement was reached and both parties lips are sealed.

Has anyone out there heard anything about this scenario. Is it fact or just another rumor?

Phil Berkowitz

#4 ·
Gene only want replies from the actual owner of the subject K-80s that have had that problem.

There would be no rumors only actual information.

They can send their reply to my e-mail address.

I feel this information is pertinent, may show a weakness or deign defect if it is in a certain area of the K-80.

I don't know why this info hasn't been asked before.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#15 ·
DB-Bill it looks like the bottom Bbl fired first and the Bbl broke loose from the mono bloc and caused the top Bbl to fire, with the Bbl out of the action,
Why did the Bbls seperate from the Bbl monobloc, were the Bbls still partially attached to each other? What did it look like at the muzzle end?

I have always wondered about the Bbl Thickness on a K-80 at the mono-bloc, it is not heavy like a Ljutic, Kolar, Perazzi and others.

Need more pictures of other K-80 failures.

I would say that this was not caused by a shell.

Thanx

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#17 ·
A short time ago a poster reported his K80 had a cracked receiver. Since has reported he got a replacement from Kreighoff. There were reports over the past several years of similar cracks found. If these cracks were to go unnoticed what might the result have been?

If there were a problem with some guns no manufacturer would ever admit it. It would open them up to litigation . So the smart thing to do is offer free replacement of the gun. A very smart practice in my opinion. Surely saves them money. A friend had his let go at our club a few years back, it was replaced and he is very happy with his new gun and has nothing but praise for Kreighoff.

For along time I didn't understand why such a well built gun was recommended for an annual inspection, I think maybe I do now.

That said, do I think there could be a problem with all K80's? No I don't.
I shot my friends one time a couple years before it let go and found it a dream to shoot. never missed a target with it. Would probably own one if I could afford one.
I would though recommend ,(IMHO) that if you shoot one to have the annual inspections done.

TFC

#22 ·
The barrel(s) on a K-80 can separate from the monoblock. This happened to someone I know. Repair was at no charge.

He admitted he fired two double charges of Red Dot (36 gr) early in the life of the gun. The gun held both loads with no apparent problems. It is possible they contributed to the unsingle barrel separating from the monoblock many years and many 10's of thousands rounds later - but who knows?

The double charges happened when he got lazy/confused using an older PW that does not have removable dies. He had a snafu and he indexed it manually to where he thought it should be in the cycle. He now empties the machine when he gets a hiccup and no more double charges.

I have no doubt this is true. The man admitted he screwed up - never blamed the gun. But, it did not blow up on him either.

Don Verna

Don Verna

#25 ·
For you posters thinking that the top barrel has "moved" or "elongated" in relation to the bottom barrel: I think the picture above is a little misleading (unintentional). In reality, I think the top and bottom barrels have separated from each other completely, they are just positioned next to each other on that narrow stool and at first glance it looks like the top barrel has moved back while still attached to bottom barrel.

I think there were additional pictires of this gun posted some time ago that makes it easier to see that the barrels were completely separated. That also probably contributed to the forearm wood shattering as questioned above.

#26 ·
TFC -------- the report of the "cracked receiver" awhile back, was from an owner of one of the lightweight receivers, which was a lightweight alloy, and they did have some that showed signs of stress related cracks. I owned and shot one years ago, with no signs of failure. I know several skeet and trap shooters who shoot thousands of FACTORY loads only thru their K-80s with no problems whatsoever. One shooter in Texas, puts min. 1,000 rounds thru his every week, sometimes many more, and has shot the same K-80 since 1992, no problems. I am no expert, certainly not a metallurgist, but something is certainly causing the problem, and any gun can experience this problem...............Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.