1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 Blows Up!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauxfan, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was shooting his K-80 at the Cedar Falls Gun Club yesterday, and his gun literally blew up.

He'd already shot a few rounds before this happened.

He said he'd just bought a new box of shells.

I don't know why it happened, I only know it did.

Check out these pics I took.

hauxfan_2008_020320.jpg

hauxfan_2008_020323.jpg

Just glad the shooter wasn't hurt. But I think it scared the heck out of him.

Hard to believe that could happen, but I saw it in person.

Hauxfan!

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Maybe he should have used that new box of shells he just bought.

-Gary

3. andybull

andybull Active Member

I'm glad he wasn't a left handed shooter.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Haux, I bet he typically uses reloads, and stiff ones at that. Am I correct??

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

This was on a factory load?

The photos are similar to a number os Cesar Guarani Blow ups I have seen photos of. It appears that the mono block fractured and took the side of the receiver with it. Did they find all the pieces?

T

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's not the first time on K-80's as I recall.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A question, is it possible for a shotgun to blow like that without a barrel blockage or an over loaded shell?

Hap

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

It even took the top lever out and splintered the forearm lengthwise in pieces.

GW22.....He was using BRAND NEW Remington STS's.

Tron......His reloads are on the light side in powder and shot.

Hap....He doesn't set the barrel on the ground or on his toe....his last shot was normal sounding and he had hit the bird quite well. As stated it was a NEW STS shell.

I have no idea how he came out of this incident with no injuries but he did thank god..

9. Hap MecTweaks

LTS, thanks, your information answers a lot of my questions guy!

As you've seen in the tone of a few posters, they believe it was the shooters fault in this blown gun as well as most all others that blow apart.

Did any of you guys read Neil Winstons actual chamber pressure reading recently he posted? Hence my question above; "is it possible for a shotgun to blow like that without a barrel blockage or an over loaded shell?"

How much chamber pressure does it actually take to blow one apart? Not too much if there's a metal problem related to stress or TOO HARD in my opinion. Remember, K guns are so hard you must have them engraved before the hardening process? When you can't scratch the metal with a carbide cutter, it's harder than a new weddin thingie!!

Hap

10. yhc

yhc Member

Glad to hear your friend escaped the accident without getting hurt.

How old were the receiver and the bbl and was there any after market modification done on the receiver and/or bbl? Also was there any evidence of metal fatigue prior to this incident?

It would be interesting to hear from Don or others from Krieghoff if and when the pieces are mailed in for inspection.

Regards,

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I think the gun was bought at least 15 years ago, and he has uses it as his main gun.

I can't see where the shooter did anything wrong. It was a new box of shells, and I know he had shot at least 3 posts before the gun blew up.

He is a very experienced shooter, so I don't see him doing anything out of the ordinary to cause this.

I think he counted his fingers after the incident............you know............just to make sure he had them all as it was a very loud boom!

Hauxfan!

12. bigelow

bigelow TS Member

A friend called to alert me to this post. It was my K-80 that blew. Feel very fortunate to not have incurred any injuries to me or any bystanders.

Gun was just returned from the factory for annual service. Due to shoulder surgery I have not shot the gun since late October until last Monday when I shot 50 16's and then yesterday on my third round of "practice."

Was using a new box of STS 3dr Light Handicap 7 1/2 which I had planned to use for a 27yd practice but when my friends wanted to shoot another 16 so I used those.

Don't know what caused the explosion. Do know barrel was not obstructed as I shot and hit the target before the blow up. Luckily I was on post 5 so most debris went to my right, back into my sleft shoulder and down the front of me.

Very thankful not anyone was injured. Guns can be replaced. Harder to replace hands, eyes, or lives..............

Gun will be sent to factory for evaluation and hopefully a positive outcome.

Thanks to everyone who has contacted me with their concerns...

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The LAST thing I would do is send it to Kreighoff. That is like the wolf guarding the henhouse! I would pick up all of the pieces and send it to an independent lab for analysis.

If Kreighoff was immediately responsive and offered to replace the gun for free, then I would send them the parts AFTER the third party had inspected it and written a formal report.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Do know barrel was not obstructed as I shot and hit the target before the blow up."

But did you look through the barrel before loading your next shell? In other words, are you absolutely positive no part of the previous round was left in the barrel?

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Bigelow, I am sure glad you are ok! It is mind boggling how much damage was done by 19grains of powder!

I hope my post above wasn't taken as too stern. It is just the reality when the manufacturer does the forensic analysis, there are other forces at work besides good engineering.

I never thought we would have someone on this forum with a gun explosion!!

16. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

If the shell was not a reload, I would have to assume that the factory shell was somehow faulty,perhaps double charge of powder? Guns, especially Krieghoffs, do not blow up like that for no good reason. I will be interested to hear the outcome of the metallurgical investigation on this incident. I have to show this to a friend of mine that flat out refuses to wear eye protection. Keep us posted! Pete

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I would think a blockage would split the barrel not destroy the receiver..

18. Hap MecTweaks

Matt, if he broke the prior clay, what might be left in the barrel to cause this?

Remember Bruce Bowen's attempt to blow a barrel with obstructions? Over charged with massive amounts of powder, etc.etc.?

When Winchester first brought out the model 59 with glass wrapped SS liner, one of their demonstrations on how tough this barrel is, they'd throw a live 20 ga shell ahead of a 12 ga round and shoot it out!

I wholeheartedly agree with Avaldes!! Get an indepandant test lab to TELL you what went wrong, FIRST, then send it to K guns. First thing K will ask, did you shoot any reloads in this gun? Case closed.

Hap

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hap,

No argument there. But I'm sure in your many years experience you have seen part of a hull tube left in the barrel. I know I have. If one simply ejects the hull and and pays no mind to it while also not looking through the barrel, how would one know? I have no idea what a part of the hull tube left in the barrel would do. Is it possible the shot left the barrel on the previous shot but not all of the wad? I'm just curious like the rest of ya.

20. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

The way the metal looks, where the side of the receiver blew off, appears just like the one I have that blew up. I was given the receiver a few years after it happened, I was there keeping score when it blew. This gun lost both sides of the receiver and the barrels made it to the trap house. The shooter literally was standing there with a forearm in one hand and the stock in the other. I ran around in front of him, he was stunned, and all he had was a speck of powder on his face. This was a very experienced shooter/reloader with a very technical background. He was told by the powder company that he couldn't put enough powder in a shell to do this kind of damage, without an obstruction. I looked at the barrels myself and there was nothing in them and no bulge or ring. Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
k 80 blow up
k 80 blowup
k-80 barrels blowing up

krieghoff barrels blow up

krieghoff k-80 blow ups
krieghoff k-80 blow-ups