1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

K-80 blow up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Heard today the most reasonable explanation of the recent K-80 blow up. Look @ the photo, there appears a lot of burns on the upper barrel. This indicates excessive head space. Excessive head space will cause the barrel to cant to the right in the receiver and this will cause receiver failure. If your barrel has any side to side play get it serviced.

Phil Berkowitz
  2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

But didn't Krieghoff just service that gun? Why would they not have noticed that then?
  3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A company is as good as its worst employee !!!!

Phil Berkowitz
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very true Phil.
  5. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Member

635 G, I might have to agree with you, but I take exception in this case. I know the old saying that the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, BUT I have met most of the gunsmiths from Krieghoff (when they rotate thru their vendor and repair building in San Antonio during various shoots during the year, I don't "think" they have any "Worst employees". I think your comment is a little off the mark and undeserved.

Mike* (MH*)
  6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Phil,

I think you are in La La Land. HMB
  7. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Even the best person in any field can miss something, big or small, human error is something that is hard to overcome every single time....
  8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Pictures were dark and taken by a cell phone......very reliable, lol.

"Look @ the photo, there appears a lot of burns on the upper barrel"........Really, no lie, for goodness sake. The thing was just blown up within 10 minutes of the picture...LOL

Why would Krieghoff even bother to send the receiver to a lab for testing when there are engineering geniuses who can solve the worlds greatest mysteries right here on ts.com....LOL
  9. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Did Krieghoff International Serivce it from Ottsville or some other Krieghoff like Allems or Dupont?

Did the barrel go in when serviced? Doubtful

So another example of you just cant hang a barrel on that some local yahoo has worked on.

The headspace may get you and servicing the receiver and forearm iron will have nothing to do with that.

Regards from Iowa

Gene
  10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Boys... They keep blowing up. Why? It is a well kept secret.Jeff
  11. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"Excessive head space will cause the barrel to cant to the right in the receiver and this will cause receiver failure."

I don't understand. Can someone please explain why the barrel cants to the right (never to the left?), and how this canting causes the receiver to fail?
  12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

All I know the guy who showed me a sketch, made everything super clear--its a no brainer--do maintenance on all high mileage guns--no problems

Phil Berkowitz
  13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You are still in La La Land. HMB
  14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I don't own a K gun and have no intentions of owning or shooting one. The info I'm putting out is for K gun owners-HMB-- see your proctologist so he can remove your head.

Phil Berkowitz
  15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Excessive headspace will not cause a K-Gun to blow up. With a lot of extra head space the gun will not even fire. This is because the firing pin will not reach primer. HMB
  16. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

why is it no one puts the pics on the site?
  17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Moderator Staff Member

slowdp, I posted the pictures once. Sorry you missed them.

[​IMG]

And the second picture.

[​IMG]

There, how's that for service, slowdp?

Hauxfan!
  18. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Guys; give Phil a break,he is a Submariner.

After the USS Thresher Admiral RIckover trained those guys to examine the issue(he never used the word problem)and recognize that even the best engineers and mechanics are capable of errors,either in engineering, procedure,or workmanship.

The data seems to indicate,at least to the casual observer, that K80s are experiencing some kind of failure rate that MAY be differnt from other shotguns.

Good engineering would tell us to follow the data, do the engineering analysis and dont be defensive.

Jim
  19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is clear to me that the problem is caused by excessive annual service. HMB
  20. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"Excessive head space will cause the barrel to cant to the right in the receiver and this will cause receiver failure."

I don't understand. Can someone please explain why the barrel cants to the right (never to the left?), and how this canting causes the receiver to fail?

Anyone, please.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.