1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-32 v. K-80

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GordonWood421, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Where can a comparison of the "significant" differences between the referenced K-guns be found ? I have never had the opportunity to handle much less shoot a "32" or "80" - - - but I have seen a couple that have me itching .

E.G. Is the trigger group significantly different in design and/or material of construction ? Is the steel in the barrels/receiver different ? What about the extractors/ejectors ? Firing pins design/wear ?

Between two guns of about equal condition , would one be worth more than the other ? Are replacement parts for a "32" difficult to get ? more expensive ?

If blindfolded and handed each gun (of same weight and configuration :LOP , D/C , D/H etc) would the model be recognized just by the feel ?

I tend to favor a slimmer receiver/FE a la P-gun styles and have a P-gun clone by Zoli , as well as a 32" CITORI . Will a "32" or an "80" feel much bulkier than the P-gun and about the same as a Browning ? Because of the "latch" design and resultantly higher top of the rib , will a more erect head position be noticeably favorable , detrimental , or a non-issue .

Any direction that can be given in my search for information will be sincerely appreciated .

Charlie

2. KRK32

KRK32 Member

The receiver shape and design has been the same since the 30's when remington first made them. The main differences in the two are upgrades to reliability to different parts of the gun a k32 the trigger is almost the same except where you put your finger was made to slide and shaped better than the 32s in the trigger the old ones first have v springs and were prone to breaking the k80 has sear springs that dont break as often. Mine has the old v springs and i dont worry to much i always have the stock wrench and an extra in my bag. The ejectors have a spring with a ball to hold them in while the k32's have a flathead screw. These guns are versatile almost any stocks and forearms can be fit to any gun, if you took a k32 made in 1970 with a little fitting you put 2009 barrels on it if you please. As for parts they are all readily available and older guns can have the upgrades done to them to make them the same as new but it costs. Heres the bad ive tore mine down completely for my own annual service alot but when parts are needed they will not sell them to you unless your a factory trained gunsmith they want you to send it in and pay out the ass to get it fixed then you get it back two weeks later when alot people have the knowledge to do it themselves if they have what they need and the nack for it. Kirk

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Externally, the K-80 does have a point of impact adjustment on the unsingle barrel and the trigger position can be adjusted. The receiver of the K-80 is also much harder than the 32. Internally, there are several differences.

Pat Ireland

4. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

For all PRACTICAL purposes, the only difference between a Model 32 and an original K-80 is 48.

Jere

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My K. guru, he who takes care of my 32 and KS-5, says there is absolutely no reason to swap parts from the 32 for the 80 although there are advancements in the later gun. But then there are advancements in later 32s when compared to early ones. BTW, he was a Krieghoff gunsmith in the German factory for a career and moved here to Orygun when he retired and is one of very few that K. International will permit to install parts they usually insist on doing themselves. He will often make parts in his shop instead of paying for factory items.....Bob Dodd

PS: I've heard the Krieghoff model 32 barrels are prized over later ones but I have no empirical knowledge as to why....BD

6. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I have owned both - two K80's and one K32. And have several friends that have owned several over their shooting careers. We have often discussed the merits ( and the drawbacks )

The triggers are different - and many "update" the K32 trigger for the K80 - but Krieghoff will tell you its not necessary to perform the $700 upgrade and parts for the K32 are still readily available.

Someone mentioned the receiver hardness - the K80 cannot be engraved by your choice of local engraver because the receivers are case hardened. If you want any additional engraving you have to send the gun back to Germany to get it done.

If I could follow the post about how to post pictures I'd show the work done by Bill Main on my K32 San Remo. Many people I know have purchased a plain receiver K32 and had custom engraving work done on them.

Some folks have said to stay away from K32's with a serial number below 5000 due to softness of the receivers. I cannot verify this one way or another.

Barrells are "interchangeable" but require a little fitting by a competent gunsmith. Competent is the important word here. I had a K80 Plantation Grade with a non same serialed numbered barrel. When i received the gun from the seller I had tremendous difficulty getting the barrels on the receiver. I sent it to Ernest Marlette and he fixed the problem in short order.

K80's being newer guns are higher priced. That being said, many people are realizing the "value" of the K32 and prices seem to be going up - or at least that is my perception.

An interesting side note - I was at the Indiana State Trap Shoot today and there was a rep for Browning there. He asserted that 60% of the guns on any trap line are Brownings ! I can't disprove that statement - but the Brownings are a lot more affordable for the average shooter ! That being said see my comments above regarding barrel interchangability ! Browning will NOT put any barrel set on their over/under guns that are not original to the gun as it left the factory. I know, I tried to get a 28 inch barrel set for a Browning Citori that came from the factory with 26 inch barrels. I was told flat NO by the Browning reps at the Grand in Sparta a couple of years ago.

You will often see a K32 advertised for sale with K80 barrels. I think the reason for this was the lack of a variety of barrel styles for the K32. In fact, most factory barrels produced when the K32's were being produced didn't exceed 28 inches - which obviously is much too short for today's trapshooter when 32 or 34 inch barrels are demanded for the trapshooting game - or sporting clays or skeet for that matter.

Feel of any gun is relevant to the shooter's face and the stock dimensions. I haven't owned a Browning trap gun for quite some time - but have owned several as well as Remington 3200's, Remington 1100's, etc. The "feel" of the gun is more balance point and stock fit. ( And will also determine felt recoil to a great extent )

There is also some "snob" factor in my opinion. Krieghoff's are built like a bank vault. That being said the naysayers will relate that a Krieghoff is supposed to be returned to a qualified dealer every year for an "annual" tune up at a cost of $200-$300 plus shipping. I've known many who have shot their K80's for over 100,000 rounds w/out experiencing any problems without havin the annual performed.

I'm not sure there is an appreciable difference between any of the quality guns manufactured today - i.e. Perazzi, Browning, Krieghoff, Ljutic, etc.

If you're considering purchasing the K32 - usually finding one that has had the upgrades done and K80 barrel installed is cheaper in the long run than finding an original K32 and then purchasing a different barrel or barrels, trigger, etc.

Do like I did - pick a durable gun like a Krieghoff and then spend way too much money for a custom stock with exhibition wood from Wenig or DeVault or other. Following that, give a good ( no great ) engraver a blank check and your instructions re: what you want and let him do his magic. You'll then have a distinctive gun that will get ooh's and ah's from your shooting friends. You may not shoot any better but you sure will look good ! ! ! !

Noel

7. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Thanks - - SO FAR - - for all the input ! ! !

But if there is more out there keep it coming 'cause I'm trying to learn w/o having the advantage of a gun in my hands . I am enamoured with a "32" that , for the present , I am only able to "look at" .

Am I being told that I CAN buy a set (or are both hammer springs identical)of springs that I can replace "in the field" - - or since I am not a "recognized" gunsmith , must I resort to a back-up gun while I send a "shooter" to a shop for repair .

If I were to acquire a "32" with fixed chokes on a set of "80" barrels , generally speaking , would the cost of installing CTs be disproportionally more expensive than another O/U of similar quality ; say a Perazzi .

Taking that further , is putting CTs in a set of late production barrels a poor idea ? Would the idea be OK but the list of "shops" capable of such work be quite "short" ?

Your input/feed-back has been of great consolation .
    Charlie

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Then why do they do it?

9. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

So you're saying K80's blow up because the receiver is case-hardened, and the factory does this to sell more engraving?

10. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

What are the K-32's with upgrades selling for? No engraving just a standard gun with the upgrades? Anyone have one for sale?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning citori vs k32
cost of k32 trigger upgrade
k32 upgrades
krieghoff 32 with all upgrade k80 parts
krieghoff k 32 or k80

krieghoff k32 vs k80

krieghoff k32 vs other