1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**Justice Served**

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rich-s, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich-s

rich-s TS Member

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Las Vegas police say a homeowner shot and killed a suspected burglar after coming home and finding the person in his home.

Homicide Lt. Lew Roberts says the homeowner likely would not be charged for the Sunday incident west of Nellis Air Force Base, but said the investigation was still in its early stages.

Roberts says he does not know whether the burglary suspect, identified only as a man in his 30s, was armed.

Robert’s says the homeowner’s gun is registered.

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Home owner could lose everything.

If the burglar was not armed, and was not threatening/attacking him, the guy could be an ex-homeowner.

I am unable to justify killing someone because he is stealing. I could not kill for stealing. Filling out the insurance paperwork is better than dealing with killing the bastard.

I carry and I could kill in self defense. I have invested in training to do that. I have wondered how a "righteous kill" would play on my little pea brain. I hope never to find out as I fear it will not be a positive experience.

Don

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Shooting a criminal is like throwing the trash out.....nothing to think about nor regret.

Curt

4. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

If they break into my house,they better bring a body bag.

If I lose everything, so be it.This person will not be stealing from you.

Bocephas

5. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Just remember....1st shot-center mass just for breaking into your home...2nd shot-center mass for leaving the mess he made in your home by the 1st shot..Wound him and he will sue! Dead Men Tell NO TALES!.......

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I didn't know we had such a thing as gun registration in NV. Perhaps they meant the guy had a ccw permit.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

What if he is a 14 year old kid stealing your laptop? It is dark, you are scared and your adrenaline is flowing. You will not know it is a kid until after the shooting.

Yes he is a "criminal". Your wife and kids may see it your way; but what if they instead see the blood of an unarmed boy oozing onto their floor. Maybe you will not have any regret Curt - but your family may not be as "strong" as you are. If you escape criminal prosecution, you will likely lose the civil case. Instead of protecting your family you have accomplished the opposite.

Just something to think about - in case killing really comes that easy for you.

Heck, you could kill a rapist, drug dealer or a child molester and be a "hero". Do you feel lucky?

Don

8. Robb

Robb Member

This slope is very slippery. The law I read seems gray. Any lawyers out there?

9. below 0

below 0 TS Member

As my Daddy used to say "Shoot the bastard and walk away whistling" Dale

10. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Dverna, your way of thinking is what has led us down the path we now travel on. There must be consequences for ones actions in life.

I would hate to kill a 14 year old in my house but in the end he would be dead with no remorse from me. I am one of those that think every person should reap the rewards of what they do be it good or bad. The age of the burglar doesn't change the fact that he/she invaded private property and asked for what they were just given. Maybe a run in with a thug 14 year old gang member might change your mind.

11. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Tough call, however I would rather be judged by 12 of my peers than carried by 6 of my friends ....

Bob

12. below 0

below 0 TS Member

AMEN...Bob

13. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Dverna, send a 14 year ole to break in my house and steal from me and see what happens to him if I catch him. They will need a body bag to remove the remains. If someone wants what I have bad enough to steal it, he belongs dead. And, before ya get the civil suit reminder going, we are immune from prosecution in Texas. Don't ya wish you were too?

Gne J

14. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Thats why you put the kitchen knife in the guys or childs hand after shooting him. There is plenty of reasons for your finger prints to be on the knife but none for the persons.

15. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

How would you know someone is in your home just to steal? This happened a few years ago in Fort Wayne. The prosecuting attorney at the time said you have every right to protect yourself, family and home. The man was never charged.
    Wayne

16. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Bob Schultz said the truth.

17. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Donny boy, your channel of thinking will probably get you KILLED someday. First off try and IDENTIFY the target. If it isn,t my family or dog, it's not there to do me any good! For sure nothing breaking into your house in the night is not there to do you any good! Maybe it is a kid, but maybe he is high on drugs and has a weapon. What are you supposed to do' ask him for his driver's lisc. to check his age!??!! If you want to play the waiting game then fine, but for mine and my families saftey that's NOT a chance I'm willing to take!

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

dverna...grow a set or shut up!!

You're on the wrong site to spill your San Francisco bilge water!!

Curt

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We had some high school age thieves in our neighborhood that got bolder and bolder. These little bastards have been running rampant for the last couple years. One neighbor woke up to see the prime shithead in his bedroom. Chased him through the neighborhood in his undershorts but never caught him.

They have attitudes, too. I don't know how wisconsin is with castle doctrine, but I would perceive them as a threat because of the histry. Dumb bastards have alittle too much "Grand Theft Auto" in their fuzzy brains.

It's too bad there are no home invasion shootings to act as a deterrent. Kids think they can sue you if you don't let them do whatever they feel like.

I think wisconsin is maybe too much on the liberal side of this issue, would like to know more.

HM

20. JOND

JOND TS Member

Looks like the homeowner should have asked the intruder if he was armed! JOND

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.