1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just tryed downrange wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nailer123, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I just loaded up 100 of the new fig 8 wads from downrange. They loaded just as nice as the remington fig 8. I will try them on monday i think they will be a winner.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

And will save you a few $$$

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hope you have good luck with them. I've been trying their Jammer XL 1 wads. 12ga for 1oz shot. Been having trouble with seating the wad deep enough in my AA hulls. I've found that this only happens with AA two piece hulls and not the one piece. So I take the shot out, lift the wad up, with my finger, and then spin it on the way down, usually hearing a light "click" when it seats. I only bought 500 so I'll have to come up with something different or a new wad.
    Dave T.

4. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

DR has a new wad just made for the new style AA's I have been loading them on the last 2000 AA and there is no problem with them seating, they are just great
    Chuck

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Would the "new" figure 8 wads be the Economy wads? If so, sure would like to hear how they perform. Planning on buying a case of these the next time I need wads. Josh

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm 25,000 TGT12 clones into the Downranges. Love them.

And the TGT12 work for both an ounce and an ounce and an eighth.

7. esoxhunter

I have use the DRRT12 and the XL-1. Like them both. Life is too short to reload the new AA hulls. Ed

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If you absolutely must load the newer style 2pc WW hull--- have no other option,-or whatever, use the TGT wad it will seat without that hangup,, many approved loads available on line & company reloader guides, USE A SCALE. Ross
    PS-- better yet throw them away & get STS's.

9. woodski

woodski Member

I second the idea on throwing the New AA,s away as the two piece wad could cost you a barrel Or Worse when it hangs up in your barrel and blowsup!!! Look for used STS or Gunclub hulls & should be able to find them in your clubs trash barrels or for sale .03ea for GC or .04-.05ea for the STS. Its worth it believe me as relpacing barrel ends or Worse is not the way to go!!! Expensive and dangerous!!!

10. esoxhunter

Recently we had a guest shooter at our club. He shot at least 5 rounds. He was using new AA shells. After he completed shooting he asked if I wanted the once fired AA hulls. I told him that is what that barrel is for. Many years ago, I would load nothing but AA; today I will not take the hulls for free. JMHO. Ed

11. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I gave $9.00 for 500 in omaha they are the new red economy wads .I loaded 300 more today not one problem . They are very slick .

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

anyone who does not want there once fired AA's,,,,I will pay to have shipped to me,,,,70,000 loaded,,,,no real problems,,,,

13. woodski

woodski Member

What I was refering to was my best friends same thoughts that this never happens as we loaded nothing but the 10,000's of the old AA's, so he loaded 500 of the new 2 piece hulls and around 300 later on of them hung up in his O/U and next time around he split the end of his barrels and lost 2 inches off them. No one next to him at that time in practice so nobody got hurt but had there been it would have been ugly. He sent them out to be shortened and choke tubes installed and the gunsmith said he had heard of this quite abit. As far as lawsuits this is only rare because of the lawer costs and someone getting really hurt would sure make it more common. Russian Rulet is fun too until someone gets shot!!! Good luck ;-)

14. Robb

Robb Member

Are the Windjammer style petals connected and is the plastic as slick as a new AA?

15. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I am using the DRA12 1oz wads in new AA hulls. They load and shoot great. I hear all these horror stories but have never seen or had a bad experience with them.
    One thing I've always done from day one is look down the barrel of my O/U before I load any shell, if there ever is wad separation or any obstruction, I'd see it. Good practice to get use to.

16. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

The DRA-12 wad is a direct replacement for theWAA12 wad, It is slick and easily loaded. I have just finished reloading the Economy wads which look like the Rem. Figure 8s. I'm loading them 1 1/8 in old style AA hulls and they load slicker than a baby's butt. I'll be shooting them this weekend but at this point in time, it looks as though I'm going to be loading a bunch of them as I can't tell any reloading difficulties at all.

17. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

The older one piece in the red and gray work fine. But, now that I'm thinking of it, all of the wads I've used have been hanging up. Both Downrange wads, pink and blue, I use as well as some gray 7/8 Win wads. I have too many hulls to throw out. I'm loading with a Dillon. Maybe just a little more wad pressure
    is needed to get by the lip in the hull. Dave T.

18. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Only Downrange wad I've tried is their Federal 12S3 clone. Goes into a Federal GM plastic a lot easier than the Fed 12S3 and Claybuster clone does, but when compared to the other wads it's no wonder it goes in easier... it's a bit more narrow! Can't remember the actual measurement, but in the world of reloading, I consider it to be a fair amount of difference. I've had no problems with the Downrange wad though, even in winter, but a Federal 209A and e3 underneath it may make up for a less than perfect seal.

~Michael

19. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Come to think of it, I was shooting Fed GM Hull, Fed 209A, 17 gr. e3, 1 1/8 oz of shot, and Downrange 12S3 when I had two hulls come apart about a thumbwidth ahead of the brass. Possible a poorly sealed wad play a part in the hull coming apart? Scared the heck outta me when I pulled the hull outta my O/U (glad I wasn't shooting the 391) and saw most of it was gone. I don't keep track of loads, but that hull had had 8 reloads at the most, more than likely it had only had three or four.

Oh, and I know GMs are supposed to be a one piece hull, but it sure looked like the bottom of the hull was trying to pull away from the rest of the hull and the brass.

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.