1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Totally off Topic, amazing how many planes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Coyote 270, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

amazing how many planes in the air at one time and notice where the Money is.

rignt now I am tracking my wife from SeaTac to Maui

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Remember back to 9/11? All the planes were grounded for what 3 or 4 days. It felt weird walking outside, because something was amiss. It was the absence of airplanes those days and nights. You didn't realize how big a part of your life they were till they were gone.

In the summer at night I will sit out in the backyard with a drink in my hand and look up and watch the planes streak through the sky. I will wonder where this or that plane is headed and how many people on board.

3. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does this include the drones for pigeon shoots?

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I remember thinking the same thing after 9/11. I always look for contrails in cowboy movies though. lol

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bisi, I sometimes do that in New Brunswick about 60 miles east of Frederickton. Very little traffic but the ones you see are heading overseas and of course very similar flight paths. Never thought about how many on board, that may require a refill- too deep for me;)

6. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

After looking at this site --- does anyone wonder why Air Traffic Controllers need a break every 30 minutes? Or why they have such a high rate of nervous breakdown?

Chuck

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I know what all the standard flight routes in my area are. Once in a while I will see some huge plane flying a totally non-standard route, way low, just weird. I always wonder what brought that about.

Do you ever watch the skies at night in the summer? The number of satellites in orbit is amazing. This summer I watched 3 cross paths within 90 seconds. You get a feel for how fast they are traveling. A few of them are really smokin'. Once in a while one that is rotating in flight will create reflection flares off it's solar panels that are shocking to see. When I am watching that dark void and suddenly those flares of reflected light blast outward, it has the effect of making me feel like I'm out there in space with it.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The irridium satellites are really noticeable. They reflect a lot more light for a longer period of time.

Some of the stationary stars you see are satellites in geosynchronous orbit. They move against the stars, but too slowly to be noticed. You can spot them with a look angle calculating program.

Somewhere I still have an old DOS stargazing program. Used to take an old laptop out in the backyard and track the stars and planets. It also came in handy for photography, because you could put your viewpoint at any location on earth, then see when the moon or sun would rise or set for a scenic photo.

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Dam, you guys have a lot better eyes than me if you can see satellites. I probably don't know what I'm looking for though.

With all the light glow from the urban and suburban sprawl it is getting harder and harder to watch the stars. You don't really notice it until you spend the night in some desolate area removed from the city lights, then the stars really pop out.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you know the airline flight # or the tail # for private flights you can also track flights on flightaware.com

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Bisi they are easy to spot. Dead silent and you can tell by watching the arc of their flight path they are way up there. No blinking associated with them and they will only be visible for a portion of the arc of sky you can see. They will at times outshine all but the brightest stars and if you see one flare it will make the hair on the back of your head stand up because suddenly it isn't merely a pin prick of light you are looking at, you are observing a space craft in flight at what is, in space distances, very close up.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You guys want a flight!?!?

How about the one I just took?

Delta 200 - Atlanta to Johannesburg. 14 hours.

The week before I took Delta 201 - Johannesburg to Atlanta. 16 hours.

Now THAT's a flight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.