1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just shot doubles!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've never shot doubles before and only shot singles trap once in my life, 4 weeks ago. I used the Browning Citori Plus I bought yesterday and shot a 33 and a 30. How is this for a first timer?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Rich,

You are off to a good start. Concentrate on the first bird and getting it broke. When it gets more comfortable swinging the gun, getting to the second bird will be a natural thing and scores will improve drastically.

Dare I say, Shoot a few rounds of skeet with your newly acquired gun to get comfortable with the way it swings and handles. Don't worry to much about your score though.

ss

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Sounds great to me Rich... I shot my first dubs Sep 07, I think I got maybe 2 of my second birds... What a blast tho--make that two blasts!

As usual the more you shoot'im the more you you'll break'im. Youll be surprised how soon your scores creep into the 40's.

Guy Babin

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

My first doubles were in April. I shot about the same.

Shot a 98 and 97 at the Grand in August.

Get a good coach and you will be amazed at how quickly you improve. Proper hold points, stance, and moving your eyes quickly to the second bird (your gun will follow) help the most. That assumes the gun shoots were you look. If it does not, you cannot shoot good scores.

They sure are fun to shoot.

Don Verna

5. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey!
    Glad to hear you enjoy doubles! They were a little intimidating when I first started, but, had fun, and still do. The thing that helped me the most with hitting that second target, is that it takes no more lead than any other angle. Don't over-swing and think they need a bunch. Pop that straightaway quick, and then swing over and get the gun barrel just past the second bird. Your first several rounds it'll feel like the 2nd bird is "getting away". Make a conscious effort to keep your head down on that stock, and be deliberate. Shoot a light load for your first so it won't bump you off the gun. Go with a 7/8 load for your first. And, HAVE FUN!!
    -powderburn

6. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I just started doubles this spring. What a blast! haven't shot much 16 yard this year. Limited hours at work , doubles much more fun for the money. I agree with last post. 7/8oz for first shot is sweet. Focus on getting first target quickly, be smooth to the second target. Keep your head on the gun. Keep practicing and have fun.

7. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Take a class when you can,,,,after you get some practice but before the bad habits start,,,,,Kay Ohye's class took me from shooting D class for fun ,,,too some wins and runner ups all the way up to B class,,,any good teacher is money well spent

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm going to shoot doubles again on Saturday. I shot singles today and shot a 20 and then a 21. Not too bad for only shooting clays for about 2 weeks! A lot of the more experienced guys at the club have been helping me out with tips.

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Just got back from shooting doubles again, shot a 33 and then a 36. I'm loving this game.

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Rich219,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the game of Trap. Doubles is alot of fun. I would suggest something to you. Spend about $180.00, and get these videos: Phil Kiner's, Harlan Campbell Jr.'s Trapshooting My Way, and Harlan Campbell Jr.'s Doubles & Handicap My Way. Those 3 videos have a great amount of info on them, and will make you improve. Watch them, and watch them again. You will learn something new every time.

Matt Woodson

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'll look into those videos. I doubt netflix has them. :(

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Rich319,

You can order Phil Kiner's online @ philkiner.com. There is a link to his website on the home page of this site. You can find Harlan's on Ebay, or google it.

Matt Woodson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.