1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

just saying --- don't be offended

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdtracker, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

like the title says, don't be offended. A guy I know isn't a very good driver. But has alot of money. Bought a very expensive german car. He cleaned it all the time, did its services, then one day he is driving it and it "blew up". So he asks the dealer, why did this happen? Dealer said he didn't use factory oil. When installing his own oil, the aluminum seal came " dislodged" creating an obstruction, thus building up to much pressure. Everyone was thankful he was not seriuosly hurt. So he starts doing some research and just by coincidence there are other of these fine cars that have "blown" up.And not just a few. And they look the same.Interesting. So if I was a smart consumer would I buy one of these or maybe a tough durable one made in the U.S.A? Just saying. Birdtracker

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I think this post was directed at the blown-up Krieghoff situation, and had nothing to do with the U.S. auto bailout.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

You probably answered your own question in the first couple sentences, when you said the guy "wasn't a very good driver."

Such a person probably isn't a good bet with anything that has wheels or bullets in it. It will always be the reloading machine's fault, or the gun's fault, or the manufacturer of the wads, etc.

We can't help it that incompetent rich people always choose the same brand to buy. Somebody keeps buying Mercedes, after all.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

"Incompetent rich people".

Nice, Buzzy.

I can't add to that.

Merry Christmas.

HM

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

German cars are the most over rated vehicles in the entire world. I've never been impressed even the least and they have lower quality ratings than our American name plates.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ahmen Tron

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I read a few years ago of a SAAB taxi in Sweden that had 600K miles on the original engine. Big deal. I have a friend with a VW Rabbit with 375K. We normally drive at least 150K before we even think about trading and then often give the car/van/truck whatever to one of our kids (and they are still in great shape...kids and cars).

Point is, most mechanical things last a long time if you take care of them. Keep 'em clean, tuned up, free of grit and grime, aligned, (trunions and hinges lubed) and use quality fuel.

I'd think the same applies to guns.

Tron.....I agree on the German cars but BMWs are fun to drive. When the Japanese worked on the Lexus/Infiniti/etc they were given BMWs and Mercedes to use as a benchmark...now make it better. They did, for the most part.

We still drive American, at least 66% but I admit that I caved in when gas hit $4.50 and bought an old used Honda Civic in June. 89 model with 79K miles for $3500. One of the best "little" cars I've ever owned. Never less than 32, often as high as 44 mpg and fun to drive. I'd be tempted to look at an Accord or another Civic next time.

We, my family and I, have always tried to start with one brand of oil and always stay with it. Doesn't seem to matter whether it is Pennzoil, Mobil, or what (my father-in-law always used Gambles Varcon) and with no exceptions, we have never had internal engine problems in the first 100K to 150K miles and very seldom after that.

IMHO, gun problems are normally caused by the operator and the stuff they feed into them.

8. twopipe

twopipe Member

Biiiiiiig swing.........and a miss

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I back up what Pat said about VWs. My final job in the car business, which ended earlier this year, was at a VW-Audi store and I'm here to tell you that I never in 38 years of service management saw such poor quality. And talk about expensive to maintain and repair!

One example of poor logic on VW's part concerns the Jetta, which in entry-level trim comes with a 2.5L five-cylinder engine that holds almost seven quarts of synthetic oil and has a 5,000-mile recommended service interval. We're talking three $75 oil and filter changes a year for a car that is often bought based upon a monthly payment amount. That doesn't inspire much brand loyality, especially in the young folks.

If properly maintained, I believe their powertrains will last a very long time. The rest of the car is another story, however - especially the electronics.

Ed

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Bought a new bug in '77. Great car if you discount the maintenance...adjust valves every 3000, oil change 1500, front stabilizer bar replacement often. Great in the winter.

My worst ever...one of GM's great errors...81 Olds Omega. Trouble with the trans/alignment/noise/rattles/etc. Was happy when it got sideswiped by a semi.

Second worst...89 Chevy full size van. Continual trans trouble through the entire (extended) warranty period.

From what I've heard/read/seen I'd be hard pressed to pick anything from Germany and would stay toward the Honda/Toyota/Nissan if going jap. I've driven a lot of domestics as rentals in the last 15 years and am not fond of Chrysler products for quality/economy reasons but did like my Cherokee.

Best so far: either of our two Windstars(on our second one now) or my Silverado. I favor Ford in the survival contest going on right now. Brother-in-law has a new Malibu (09) and so far he is thrilled with it. Early in the model cycle. I like most American brands and even considered a Vue Greenline.

Interesting thoughts. Thanks, guys.
    Stan

11. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Most automobiles are reasonably good, it just that different people prefer different cars and sometimes confuse their opinion with fact.

The free market efficiently weeds out the bad cars- think about the Chevy Vega, the GM diesels of the 80's, the Yugo, Renault, Fiat and all the others which are no longer available because the word got out and nobody would buy them.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

German name plates; over rated and over priced. If you want a vehicle that is reliable and for the most part trouble free you need to look at the Toyota /Honda vehicles.

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

98 Silverado is on it's 3rd TRanny, now with 241K it still rides nice, original Ball joints and exhaust too. just starting to rust thru. A nice back up vehicle!!! the squeaky heater/blower motor is brutal however......

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Just get a Perazzi. The Italian stuff not only does not blow up, it has soul.

15. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

jakeo, you seem to be lost unless Perazzi is making automobiles now. LOL

16. birdtracker

Shootlow: since my surgery I had to take up a new hobby!This is fun!!! Wonder if Tron would be interested in giving me a clinic! Yes everybody, it was about a certain german gun that has a history of blowing up and the triggers breaking."Be advised" as I am told by one of my shooting friends. They have a history. But in my defense. I am just saying! Birdtracker

17. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Back to the TOP (read the title thread again)......I would fight the AUTO company that is saying it WAS HIS domestic(for that matter any GOOD) oil. THAT is B.S. The case wouldn't last 20 minutes in German or American court. BUT, then again......what is THIS Aluminum SEAL? Are we talking about the seal on an oil container that HE allowed to go into his engine? Now, that would be dumber than dumb.

18. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Just a tiny bit of those seals on the top of the oil container can wipe out an engine. I'ts not dumb, dk, it's an accident and it's not hard to see how it can happen. I've thrown away several quarts of oil because I suspected that a bit of the seal might have gotten in the oil. Better safe than sorry.

Rotella T doesn't use aluminum foil seals any more because of this very problem.

19. birdtracker

this sounds familiar!!!!

20. hdskip

hdskip Member

All this and the word detionation never appeared! WOW!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.