1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just saw "Lincoln"....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Powerful movie. It's a historical drama, don't expect action. I think I can safely predict that Daniel Day-Lewis has the Academy Award in the bag for this one. Most movies about Lincoln you have the feeling it's just an actor portraying Lincoln. In this movie he IS Lincoln, if you know what I mean.

The movie is basically a docu-drama about the last year of Lincoln's life, trying to pass the 13th Amendment. The main core of the movie is the fight to get the extra votes they need from the Democrats, since a 2/3 majority is needed. Whether everything is historically accurate or not I do not know. All I can say is it is a well done, powerful movie worth seeing.

One thing really stood out... The movie made it VERY clear the Republican Party championed the cause of banning slavery, and that the Democratic Party opposed the abolition of slavery.

Speaking of Republicans vs Democrats, Tommy Lee Jones does an outstanding job of acting in this movie, and I know many of you will enjoy seeing him banter with Democrats. Especially when he puts one behind the 8 Ball in his office.

2. Nutso

Nutso Member

Just saw

Brain, we saw the movie on opening weekend in Eugene while visting our son who is a grad student there, and who studied under a Lincoln scholar, he said there is only one person who has more books written him than Lincoln....that would be Jesus.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just saw

Another movie, I repeat another movie (NOT HISTORY, someones interpretation of history) about "freeing the Slaves." Is that all Lincoln did? There should have been a part two movie, like: "Lincoln repatriates Slaves to Africa."

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just saw

Saw it last night what a great movie and portryal of Lincoln an award winning movie for sure.

5. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Just saw

shot410 - Another progressive interpretation of history. Lincoln's idea was to provide a way for any slave to return to Africa "if they so desired". They were forced here under duress and some might have wanted to go home. Lincoln was idealised by the newly freed "Americans". Evidently you do not share that admiration. Jimmy Borum

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Just saw

Brian:
    I intend to see this movie in the near future. The other day, a radio station interviewed a Lincoln historian, and he felt the movie was fairly accurate.
    Steve Balistreri

7. The Stive

The Stive Member

Just saw

I saw the movie Lincoln and was very impressed. One of the few times I have been
    in a movie theater and had the attending crowd applaud. John

8. glock22

glock22 TS Member

Just saw

Brian, thanks for the post!

9. tbuster

tbuster Member

Just saw

There is supposed to be another movie made for television that is taken from the book Killing Lincoln by Bill O'reilly on Fox News. This movie, Killing Lincoln, is supposed to air on the National Geographic channel in February. Watch for this one. If it is anything like the book Killing Lincoln, it should be a great show. Also, Killing Kennedy is in the works to follow that book that O'reilly wrote.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just saw

Jimmy: You are correct in your assessment of my views. Hollywood loves to rewrite history in their own image of what should have been rather than what occurred. And of course, most of the Clunks in America believe the rewritten history because it makes them feel good. Oh so good, then they clap.......It makes me want to puke. It's called the dumbing down of America via Hollywood.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Just saw

The Stive, no one applauded when Lincoln finished at the theater I was at. Everyone sat still in their seats all the way through the credits. Not one sound was uttered. It was only after we got out into the hallway that people started talking about it, praising it.

Lincoln, dead, and portrayed by an actor, gets far more genuine respect than Zero ever will.

Again, if the movie is historically inaccurate, I'm not aware of it. Those who claim it is revisionist, please, educate us as to the exact faults.

12. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Just saw

Brian,

If I remember correctly, Tommy Lee Jones was Al Gore's roommate when they were in college. Not that it really matters.

I have not had the chance to see Lincoln yet but I enjoyed your review.

13. FIB

FIB Member

Just saw

Great movie. I really enjoyed it. My kids not so much. They were very bored (19 and 12).

14. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Just saw

I heard that Kobe Bryant and half of the LA Lakers went to see this movie when it first came out. The were shocked to learn that Lincoln got killed. Like ......they didnt know.......must have been out of school the day they taught that.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Just saw

They prob'ly teach in history class these days that the slaves freed themselves along with the help of a few prominent Democrats, that was in the chapter just before the one where Nixon started the Viet Nam war.

16. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Just saw

If some of those clapping had lived through Lincoln's complete disregard for our constitution my guess is things would be seen differently. Today, Lincoln would have easily been impeached. Along with FDR he pissed on the constitution more than any president in our history.

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Just saw

The book "Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly is a great read.
    Much more accurate than the hollywood version.

18. tbuster

tbuster Member

Just saw

Just saw on The Factor that the television version of Killing Lincoln will aire on February 17 on the National Geographic channel.

19. oz

oz Active Member

Just saw

try seeing 2016 the movie. not a sound in the movie or after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.