1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just One Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cableguy, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

OK, Here's the scenario.

You (all of you)(even Lumper!) have been invited to a special event. 100 birds in each category will be shot. To include; 16 yd. singles. 16yd. doubles, Handicap singles and doubles. 27yd. singles and doubles. A round of 5 stand. A round of sporting clays. A round of wobble trap. Heck, even a round of skeet, (pink tutus will be provided to all who ask)and, a game or two.

For the purposes of the scenario, let's all assume that all expenses are paid for. Time isn't an issue either. The prize money is phenomenal ! Well worth attending. All participants get a belt buckle and contingency
    money. The sponsoring cub provides RV parking, hook ups, port-a-potties and, 3 meals a day. Hotels and restaurants also are nearby. For the sake of the argument, NO detail is overlooked. You all have the time and the means to attend.

Here's the rub. You are only allowed to use ONE SHOTGUN for the entire event. It must be the only shotgun that you shoot for all events. Checks and balances will be in place. Cheaters will be disqualified, beaten, branded, tarred and feathered and, sent home in shame.

Here's the question. What ONE SHOTGUN would you use? Please include any and all specifics. We'll assume that chokes are changeable unless otherwise specified.

I am sure that the smart a$$es will chime in but, this is a serious question deserving of at least a semi-serious answer.

Thanks in advance for all of your responses.

Shawn

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Dude.......you have to lay off the BOOZE.........What a stupid question, and who gives a rats A$$............get a life...........

GS

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  4. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I really like these events, and will go aways to compete in them. I always use one gun, and one choke for that matter----A SuperX-1 trap with I/M barrel.

FYI, these are typically refered to as "Iron Man" shoots.

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Easy. A good over/under with 30 in. barrels, adjustable comb and interchangable chokes. Perazzi would be (and is) my choice. Jake

6. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

The first smart a$$ checks in. More to come I'm sure. Makes me wish that I did drink.

Believe it or not, there is a purpose to this.

7. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    I hope you don’t consider this a smart-ass remark! We used to set up a sporting clays gun, which came with screw in chokes from the factory, with a Shockmaster system to shoot all events. It had two combs, one was a monte-carlo and one was a standard straight comb. The straight comb could be parallel or not (your preference), and was lower than the monte-carlo comb, so that it was correct for Skeet, Sporting clays, hunting, etc. It came with a rear (recoil pad) assembly that gave you a length of pull short enough for a low gun mount, and with a pitch that was correct for for the above events. The Monte-carlo comb came with a rear assembly which gave you a longer length of pull and less pitch, in order to be strictly correct for trap. You could change the comb and rear assembly from one to the other in less than 5 minutes, and then of course change chokes. I think my father’s slogan for this was “Beware the man who shoots only one gun”. - Mike Gregory

8. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

BERETTA 391.........

Mike, your Dad is a smart man. GOOD LUCK

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Browning Citori Plus 30" I tried it at sporting clays recently and could not believe how awesome it worked out..and from the 27 its nuthin but schmoke

10. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

can i switch barrels if so i would use my citori combo not the new one this was built like 30 years ago. i would switch between my 34 in single fixed full and my 32 in o/u f/im

If i couldnt switch barrels i would just use the O/U of the same gun i can shoot skeet with it even tho it is a long full choke and nobody can beat me at wobbles from any yardage with it, but im not a good 5 stand shooter every thing else i would dominate.

Steven

11. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

The best all-round gun that I have ever owned or shot at anything moving or flying is the Browning Lightning Special Sporting with high rib. It is the only gun i would ever consider IF i only could take or use just one. GW

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

One Eye..that was my second choice...I don't have the Lightning..Just the regular Hi-Rib Special Sporting...a great gun that works for everything

13. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

My Beretta 682 Gold Trap Combo. Just the 30 inch o/u barrel if I couldn't use both barrels.

Jim

14. skinitback777

skinitback777 TS Member

Super! This sight should be fun like this, I agree with Tron However I use 32" K-80 for all of it. Fixed choke 17(bottom) 25(Top)

15. JW Heck

JW Heck TS Member

Browning Sporting Clays, 30", Invector plus.

Deadly.

16. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Question - what do you already have? If you have an O/U or semi that fits you and shoots where you look, there's your answer! - JoeBerg

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I find this to be a very interesting topic, because I've been there as far as using a gun for every facet of clay shooting. Before 2000, I would use a BT99 (which I bought new in 84') for Trap, a 3200 for Skeet and an 1100 for Sporting clays....this combination, each with a totally different POI, lock time and handling characteristics, I feel (well, I think so now) was a perfect recipe for mediocrity. I mean, sure, I had my days...but, jeeze I sure was inconsistant.
    Then I had an idea of using ONE GUN for everything. The problem was, there wasn't a gun on the market that I liked as an all around "tool". One of my Sporting Clays buddy's (Dorian, one Hell of a SC shooter) had a 390 that he always shot well with and one thing that was very evident was that HIS auto wasn't breaking all of the time, like my 1100's were....BUT, I found the 390 to be built for a larger person (which Dorian is). I needed a gun with a narrower forearm and maybe a smaller radius at the grip. THEN one day while at Fenton gun club, I ran into a fellow who was probably the first guy in Michigan to have the 391. When I picked that gun up, I knew right then that that was THE GUN.
    I got on the phone with Angleport and ordered it up. I fit the gun and after a couple of months, all of my games went way up.

I don't really think it matters what gun you choose as long as it fits you and you know where it's shooting. Some guys may want an OU, others (like myself) prefer an auto because of less felt recoil.

Tron.

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Oh no ... this is a hard question to answer and it would keep me awake for many a night before an event of that caliber trying to determine which gun to shoot.

11-87 or 1100 ... 11-87 or 1100 ...11-87 or 1100 ...11-87 or 1100 ...11-87 or 1100 ... ah crap I'd shoot the 1100 cause or would it be the 11-87.

Dang you ... dang you Shawn, why must you make this so difficult. BTW if the club is providing 3 meals a day who cares about restaurants being close by?

Heck lets make it my trusty ole Remington 1100 with the 30" barrel ... yep the Remington 1100 it would be with my favorite target bustin factory extended chokes.

19. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Shooting one gun would be interesting so I won't pick a gun, but give my opinion of what I would look for in the gun. I want a high shooting gun 80/20 would be ideal. The gun would be balanced neutral, meaning not barrel heavy. We are just going to have to learn to follow through the shots instead of letting the gun pull us through. This would mean the gun would be fast which mean a mental slow down on some of the events listed, but the speed is needed for the others listed. Auto loader or O/U wouldn't matter at this point. It would have to be 12 gauge and I would load my own loads for the events. That would be one way to maximize the gun by giving it different loads for different events.

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Now that I have answered the most difficult question poised to me I cant get this 3 meals a day off of my mind ... just what would they be serving for the 3 meals a day? Would it be the same thing served at each meal but just on a different day? Would they change it up a little by serving what they served for lunch on one day for dinner the next and what they served for dinner serve for lunch the next day?

Come on now ... this is really bothering me ... what type of food would it be?

BTW & FYI ... I agree with Tron in regards to ... "No big deal. It's all in your head."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

just 1 gun

which chokes to use on a citori 725 for wobble