1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just How Dangerous Is A Loaded Round

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stokinpls, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Always wondered what it would look like. Good video.

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9-D9KqR4k

The great Herb Parsons had a trick he used indoors. He would load his Model 12 with a shell, remove the gun's barrel, hold his hat over the exposed shell and fire the gun. Everything ended up in the hat. Very impressive.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

A friend of mine told me about a time when he was reloading and a shell went off when it hit another shell in the basket under his bench. The only injury was to the back of his shorts. Bill Malcolm

4. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

So, what are we to take away from this?

Has anyone ever been killed by an UN-loaded round?

5. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

We had a shooter that was an police gunny instructor by the name of Harry Maybalm as a member of our club years ago that would put a live round in a reciver like the one in the you tube video and fire it into a paper shopping bag, it would not break out of the bag.

6. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Would brass react the same way??? Any guinea pigs out there???

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

With pistol/rifle rounds, the explosion takes the path of least resistance. When a round is discharged out of chamber, the brass case will shoot off leaving the lead bullet in place or moving very little. The case can shoot off with pretty decent force. This is what i observed thru my stupid teenage experiment years. I guess results could vary.

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I had one go off in the catch box below the reloader. Not even very loud. That happened one time in about 20yrs and jillions of rounds of reloading w/ that setup. It was pretty much a WTF? moment aside from the light smoke and strange smell. I couldn't find any pieces and since they box is well contained under the bench nothing made it out. Nothing visible on any of the other shells in the box either. Nearly a non-event.

9. ctreay

ctreay Member

From my stupid teenage years I learned that a can of pork&beans left at the edge of a campfire for too long will,1.scare the crap out of you when it gets hot enough, 2,make a real mess out of everyone sitting close to the fire. A boy scout campout in the late 40's.

ctreay

10. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

That had to be a fun one. Like the time I played with black powder after disassembling some old shells with bad crimps. diffently don't burn like today's smokeless

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I knew a nut who used to think it was funny to toss 12ga shells into the air and "hit" them with a wooden baseball bat. Never saw one go off, although bystanders sometimes did, LOL.

-Gary

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

BigHeap,

I've done that trick and got a $20 bill from the biggest titewad at the club.

ss

13. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Herb Parsons shot 7 targets with a pump. That is only 3 targets less than what Tom Knapp did with a semi auto. Now that is impressive.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Unless the round's pressure is developed in the barrel they are not very dangerous per se. Of course, you can get burned but there is no chance of shot or bullet flying through the air.

So the old cowboy trick of throwing some ammo in the fire for a distraction is not necessarily the truth. the minute the burning powder has an escape route you get fizzle instead of bang.

(Don't ask me how I know this)

HM

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

A friend of mine and myself lost $10 apiece from a shooter, (who was a retired game warden), who said he could fire a 12 gauge shell and catch the shot in his hat. We were standing in a local gun shop. He took a Model 12 that was on the rack and asked for a shell. We thought he was nuts and would surely blow a hole in the floor. (He did just as was described by "Bigheap"). This was probably 40 years ago. That was big money then.

16. chemist

chemist Member

Ok here's one- done as a demo at a chemistry teachers workshop at Dreyfus in 1983. Ex military man, who became a science teacher in CA wanted to show a chem reaction using a live 30-06 round suspended form a wire that was free to move = he heated the shell and said that the projectile( head) would go forward and the case rearward but would not explode as pressure had to build up, and since it was not in a chamber nothing to worry about- after the reaction we found the case fragments throughout the front 3 rows- I guess he crimped the round a little to much and the powder built up enough pressure to explode the casing- he was an idiot.
    Guns and shells in the hands of idiots are dangerous- use them as intended. It only takes one exception to see someone get hurt. I often thought that CA gun laws were the result of his being a resident.

Rich K- Chemist

17. TomB

TomB Member

I have a friend who blew the action open , top barrel and rib off a Browning OU with a shell that was loaded in a PW. Was shooting skeet...56th shot. No obstruction in the barrel. Remaining 44 shells were cut apart and checked and found to be OK. Big mystery !! He wasn't hurt !! Tom B

18. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I had 2 shells this summer loaded in a PW that were clearly double charged (probally my operater error while loading..... was the lever up or down) that pushed me back a pad. I looked at my 1100 thinking it was broke in half. It was ok, but I know it wasn't good for it. Kicked harder than any shell I have ever shot in my life. Most likely 37gr of red dot. NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!! Mec 9000 now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.