1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

just had a HOLLY CRAP!! wake up call

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

I've been reloading metalic cartridges for decades and only recently started shotgun. I read all I could, got a single stage MEC so I could do them nice and slow...one at a time.. and learn as I go. I've loaded about 4,000 rounds and shot them all. I've tried a few powders and shot weights. Since I like to do the best I can, i've been weighing each and every powder charge and each and every shot charge (yeah... I know, I know....) I've settled on my favorite which was actually what I started with: 18.2 grains Clays, AA hulls, Win 209, Waa12 wad. It's worked out pretty well so far. I shoot anywhere between 50 and 250 rounds a week at the local club with my 11 year old son. He's been shooting (and prefers) Winchester Universal (Which is GREAT for me, 'cause it costs the same as loading a box). He's seen how my scores have gone up and the clays smoke with my loads, so last month he agreed to let me load his shells. I decided after all the "Base wad stories" that I wanted him to nshoot one piece hulls from his semi-auto just to be on the super safe side. I loaded up some gun clubs I found at the range. He shot a few boxes and really liked the preformance on the clay so now I'm the prefered ammo source.

We have our trap league once a week and shoot 50 birds each. Last week I went back to loading Clays over Green Dot and have comitted to stay with clays. Last week was the first 50 rounds he shot of the Clays. I didn't shoot 'em because I figured I'd get rid of the Green Dot. I always write all the weights and components on the boxes as I load 'em. I was very confident the loads were perfectly safe because I load his a few 10ths under the listed load. Well......... We needed 4 boxes for tonight so I rushed into the back room (I load at work when there is no work to do) I got 'em all done, boxed up and ready to go. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks (or buckshot). The STS hulls are close in loading data to the AA's. I realized I was loading 19.4 grains of Clays instead of 18.4 grains AND HE ALREADY SHOT 50 OF 'EM. Hogdens lists the load at at 11,300psi with 18.4 grains and I had 19.2 grains. Add to that the margin of error, I may have had 19.4. DAMN IT! I'm so thankfull nothing happened and I caught it.

Lesson learned.

Mike

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

someday your son will grow-up, when he does and you need somebody to carry you back and forth to the toilet, I hope that you have that same holy crap attitude when he slam dunks you on your head, for loading shells that way. you are about to ruin human potential.

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Who's Holly Crap?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Bob

4. BD457

BD457 Member

Thanks Twinbird. Did you think I don't feel bad about this? Did you think I have no concern for what I did or my son? If I was just some ass who didn't care, do you think I would have posted it on a public forum?

I posted this so maybe someone else could learn from my stupid mistake.

Crawl back in your hole please.

Mike

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

look here dumb a$$ I'm not the one who feed them to your kid.you did I'm glad you get to feel bad about it things could have been castastrophic, there is a delete option so you don't have to triple post and you might want to remove this post so your boy doesn't see it when he grows up.

*Why would anyone give an 11 boy a 3dram load in the first place? Best thing you could do is to quit being kind to your kid and let someone at the gun club who understands what is going on teach the kid about trapshooting before you ruin him, because you haven't got a clue. There should have been lots of people on you for that alone, but it seems they either don't believe this post or nobody wants to help you ruin the boy.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Triple has one "p."

Posting five times isn't a triple posting, It's quintuple.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Load will be a bit strong but the gun will take it as I'm sure his shoulder will too. Lesson learned? Now, let me tell you how hard a double charge of Bullseye feels out of a 12 ga. Ouch!

8. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

twinbirds needs his medicine refilled.

Mike Smith

9. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I would have shot them off myself, 1 grain over book isnt the gun buster,but for your sons sake i would just give him top guns factory loaded.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

That is why I have one loader made up for just one load. I have a second loader for my hunting loads. I clear all powder off the table and put it away so I don't grab the wrong powder. One one powder on the table at a time.

11. BD457

BD457 Member

"you might want to remove this post so your boy doesn't see it when he grows up."

Already told him about it. I admit my mistakes and discuss them so they aren't repeated by others.

"Best thing you could do is to quit being kind to your kid and let someone at the gun club who understands what is going on teach the kid about trapshooting before you ruin him, because you haven't got a clue."

There's only one person in this thread that hasn't a clue Twinbirds and that would be you in this case. You may very well be one of the greatest trap shooters there is. you might even be the best of the best in instructing children how to shoot trap......I don't know. What I DO know is you're speaking out your A$$ if you have never seen my son, or seen him shoot. Rather than explain to you his skill level, preferences, or history, just suffice it to say he does just fine with three dram loads and prefers them over the 7/8, 1oz, and light 1 1/8oz. Is it incomprehensible to you that an 11 year old can make an intelligent decision based on history and experimentation? He is FAR from ruined. He's on the right path and I've been given accolades for my teaching and him for his advancements by more than a handful of club members, AIM instructors, and club staff.

"There should have been lots of people on you for that alone, but it seems they either don't believe this post or nobody wants to help you ruin the boy."

WOW!!

12. BD457

BD457 Member

By the way, the trip"P"le thread was because I posted it yesterday and hit post, but it didn't post so i did it again....and again.... and again.....

They weren't there when I left work, but somehow showed up later. Another "reloading error" I suppose ;-)

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`m not on here to repremand what you did but what you should do for your reloading (which I may say you are weighing) is to separate yours from his by using different hulls and boxes -- STS-RGC . And also mark the boxes when finished with each one . Good luck . I have seen a guy send his son out with 27gr of 800X and after 10 shots he was crying !!!! Never been back either . We should have known better when we heard the report .

14. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Well no one wanted to help so I do what I can You got some replies

15. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

You have just had a wake up call about reloading. You were smart enough however to figure out your mistake and correct it. I have reloaded more ammo than I care to think about, and I have made some mistakes also. Thankfully nothing drastically dangerous. Make this a positive experience and you will be a better and safer reloader for it. As for having your balls busted by certain readers, it's a shame they have nothing better to do than dote on other peoples mistakes. Anyone who has done very much reloading knows how easy it is to make a mistake, especially when loading more than one recipe.
    ipscmaster

16. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

BD457

Seems like you used your Green Dot bushing to load Clays with?

My preference for a 3 Dram Eq. 1200 f/s 1 1/8 oz load is either Green Dot or International. This way there is a large fudge factor. I load with bushings so the one that is close over the published load is fine since there is 1255 f/s load usually with about a grain more of powder listed. I think that if you want to just use a 1200 f/s 1 1/8 oz load give Hodgdon International a try.

I use Clays for my 1 oz 1180 f/s loads. The bushing on the lower side of the of the published data is used here.

Jason

17. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

why does most of the threads on this site turn into pissing match

18. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

mostly egos

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Mike is right. I have had a terribly insensitive moment. I wish to apologize to those I offended. I am truly sorry,I don't want to wish ill or harm on anyone, there is enough of it around. Yes, I do think in is incomprehensible for an 11 year old to make the wise choice in ammo selection especially when that question is very hard for a lot of seasoned shooters with far more experience. Unless he is already at the level you expect him to reach, at his age skill development is far more important.Remember you are working to build a champion, using today's level of accomplishment as a bargaining chip for shell size is questionable. I cannot imagine any 11 year old, I have ever met, fully staying in the gun for even 100 3 dram rounds a day. I think it is a big mistake. The recoil factor is often a lurking monster, quietly waiting to rear it's ugly head until one day you can't stay in the gun. far better to destroy properly pointed targets with lighter shells and develop all the important good habits now. no, I'm not the greatest trapshooter, not the greatest instructor, certainly human and full of shortcomings. I wish you and your son well in this sport. This is the post I should have written first, and I fell short. Sorry

20. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

How do you know what the powder weights were? If they were not weighed and you simply used the bushing charts for your info i would imagine they were well under the amount you think. Most of the bushing charts are mede with a safety factor built in and if you weigh the charges you will find you need to use one or two bushings larger than what the charts show. Just my findings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.