1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just got scammed on eBay

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hooked, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooked

Hooked Member

OT Just got scammed on eBay

Hi everyone, just wanted to give all you eBayers a heads-up. I've have bought (never sold) more than 30 items over the last few years from eBay, and have never had any problems until now.

Yesterday, I purchased a Taylor Made driver using "buy it now" from an eBayer that appeared to have a 40+ positive rating. I paid for the item right away using PayPal and as soon as the payment went through, I noticed that the person receiving the payment did not seem to match up with who I bought the item from. (Oh oh). This happened around 11:00 a.m. At 2:00 p.m. I get an email indicating that the item was sent and was given a USPS tracking number (starting to feel a little better). At about 9:30 p.m. I get an email from eBay stating that the item was cancelled and that all of the seller's trading activity had been suspended. The email went on to say that if I had already paid for the item by PayPal that I should start communications with the seller and ultimately, if not resolved amicably, I should file a claim with PayPal.

I checked the tracking number this morning and the USPS website indicated that the item was "foreign accepted" from somewhere in China! So right now, it seems that if I receive anything at all, it will probably be a fake. In all likelihood, I will be making a claim with PayPal, but if I get my money back, I expect it will take 60-90 days to get this resolved.

The reason why I'm posting this at all is that the scam seems to be that this illegitimate vendor is using the seller id and feedback of real, legitimate sellers. I know this because, a number of other similar items from other sellers that I was watching were removed from eBay all of a sudden as well.

When buying on eBay, I always check and rely on the seller's feedback to decide if the purchase is worth the risk. Now that fraud artists are assuming other seller's identities, there is really nothing you can trust/rely on when trying to make a decision to bid or not bid.

Hopefully, this will only cost me some time and effort, but I think my eBay days are done.

Best regards,

Brian

2. richrob

richrob TS Member

I have been on both ends of a scam on ebay, one as you described, and one where a buyer changed his mind about somthing I sold him and claimed I was a fraud.

In the case where I was scamed, the seller closed his paypal account and I never got refuned, the other I gave several types of proof to disprove the buyer and he was rewarded nothing.

PayPal is designed to protect sellers rather than buyers, they make their money by taking a % of the money a seller recieves. All in all most people are good, you are gonna find those type of people anywhere.

If your looking for somthing rare, or possibly just cheap, even with the occasional jackass there really isnt a better place to go than eBay in my opninion. -Rich

3. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

what make of taylor made driver was you buying and what was the buy it now cost??

4. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

I just got finished with a guy that was trying to scam me out of a rather expensive printer I was selling on eBay. He kept claiming that he had sent a check which never arrived. Then he flipped over to "just send it COD". This set off some mental alarms as I have been reading about an increase in counterfeit money orders lately.

I believe the intent was to hand the UPS driver a bogus MO and scam me out of the printer.

I ended the auction with a dispute. The guy provided a bunch of bogus information such as a check number that had a bank routing number that doesn't exist, etc. The moral of the story is that you can't be too careful these days on eBay regardless of which end of the transaction you're on.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Was your Pay-Pal payment via a credit card or a direct debit from your bank account? If it is credit card put a claim in with the credit card company and if it was a debit you might be majorly SCREWED.

6. Hooked

Hooked Member

Drunk: It was for a "new" Taylor Made R7 460, 10.5 Regular shaft driver. Price was $166.00 plus shipping.

lumper: I paid via credit card and I will contacting the cc company shortly.

Thanks everyone.

Brian

7. DJM

DJM Member

Each E-bay auctions has at least two winners. E-bay and UPS.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just as a thought ... that is a $300 to $400 driver that was being sold for 1/2 price and that old adage of ya never gets somethin for nuthin kind of pops into play when I see somthin likes this.

9. Hooked

Hooked Member

Lumper, I generally agree with that adage, but in the context of what the R7 was selling for on eBay, the price I paid was on the mid to high end of those listed so I thought it was a safer bet. I stayed well away from those that were listed for $115. I have gotten some very good deals on eBay that were seemingly to good to be true (e.g. K-80 semi inlet stocks for $80 and a nice Mono Gun stock with 4-way comb for $85), so I guess it was only a matter of time when my luck ran out.

Brian

10. bgf

bgf Active Member

Smart using a CC. File a dispute with the CC company and it will be up to the seller/reciever to prove the transaction was legit. Forget about PayPal helping you.

Bernie

11. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

ok that particular driver wholesales for 425.00 and you say you got scammed???

you was the one that thought he was scamming the scammer.

12. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Hooked,

Appreciate the heads up.

I buy old american made bicycles and parts for them on ebay and generally pay more in shipping fees than I pay for the bikes as DJM pointed out.
    I generally deal with established dealers and research the sellers history and feedback. So far so good.

I have had numerous e-mails recently purporting to be from e-bay, wanting me to supply information to varifie my account. I just delete them.
    This must be how they are stealing the identity of legitimate sellers.

ed.

13. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

First, ebay is the greatest thing that ever happened to criminals. Prior to ebay, thieves that broke into your home or car, took only items that they could turn fast and on the street, like electronics or jewelry. When a burglar started hitting an area, the local pawn shops were checked. No more, no need to unload stolen goods on the street or pawn shop near the crime. No longer is a thief worried about unloading stuff fast to other criminals that won’t call the cops. Now they just need an email account. So instead of getting just the electronics, they take everything they can carry.

As for contacting your credit card company, you might want to read the Pay Pal contract you agreed to. Pay Pal is a way to protect the sellers on the internet, not you. As for getting you credit card company to help you, you might but in the end they will have to pay PP. Remember you didn’t buy the club with your credit card, you purchased money with it from PP. They met their obligation to you by sending that money as you requested, so they met their obligation to you and your credit card company. This issue will be between you, PP and ebay. The contract you agreed to with PP takes care of that.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mr Eeneebreated sir ... I thinks you mean retails for $425?

15. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

no lumper, it cost us here at the golf course 425 and we sale it for 575.

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

You should look at buying from some of the online golf stores like GolfSmith or GolfCircuit. Do they realize you might have a minor drinkin problem and ya thinks they might be takin a little advantage of you?

http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/products/TM7460

https://www.golfcircuit.com/Taylor-Made-r7-460-Driver/__1760.html

17. skip

skip Member

Dear Brian

Are you in a position to offer up his ebay name?

If not that's ok.

18. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

I bought a new Taylormade R7 460 Superquad (the new one released on 3/23/07) from Sports Authority for $399.00 the week they were released.

19. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

lumper, you do not know how the club manufactors and course owners working relationships go. so you do not have a clue to as of whom we should be doing business with. you buy your clubs at disscount stores. you get the seconds, those are the clubs that do not meet specs. they do not just throw them away. they pawn them off to disscount stores for the unaware public to buy.
    just like when you buy guns from wal-mart, they are seconds.

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ok ... glad you cleared that up for us and for letting us know just how crappy some manufactures are. If the majority of the manufactures business is with discount stores and those stores are selling off there junky seconds they must manufacture 30 or 40 seconds to get that first your going to sell. What a shitty quality company they must be ...

or should I just say ... whatever you care to believe is fine with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hill topper ebay

scammed by ebay josephine taylor