1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just got laid off

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by calilori, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

I just got laid off. My boss' business is basically losing money and he had to let us go. It sucks to be me today, but if anybody knows of any jobs available in the Sacramento area, please let me know. I'm desperate and willing to do almost anything. I just really do not want to go back into teaching.

2. algebra1

algebra1 Member

Bad news there as well.Alot of teachers are being laid off as well.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That sucks, there doesn't seem to be any good jobs around these days, unless you can get a government job, seems they are the only people hiring

4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is a music director (teacher) at a local high school in San Diego and he tells me that every music director in San Diego area is being looked at for layoffs. It just sucks to be a teacher in California right now.

5. pdq

pdq Member

It sucks to be a state employee in California right now?

Ah... lemme see. The state is broke. As in, no money and massive debt.

Hard to have employees if you don't have money, but I'm sure the Democrats will get re-elected so as to protect their being broke all the time.

Pete

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

It ain't just California. It is damn near everywhere that the politicians don't want to "fess up" to their past financial irresponsibility and teachers make a easy scapegoat, especially for those who have never done much with themselves while they were in school.

Give me a choice about who should get fired between politicians and teachers and my vote would be to give the politicians a sample of real life on the unemployment line!

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If you could get back into teaching you should. They are getting laid off quicker than quick. My wife hasn't been a full time teacher for three years.

8. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I too am a member of the laid off crew. Work for a Hunting fishing camping store for 7 years as their sporting arms repair tech. Good thing unemployment is here for me. It will help me get buy untill I can finish with school next year at this time.

JaSON in PA

9. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

Sorry Lori, I have been off for 18 months and it sucks. If I were you, head south and become a lifeguard it looks like they make 200k a year down there. I could survive on that. Newport Beach that is where the bucks are.

10. calilori

calilori TS Member

Thanks guys. I'll figure something out. It's not like I have much choice. I've sent out about 100 resumes this morning so far....

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well, the mines are booming in Northern NV but thats about it around here.

I had a two year bout with unemployment in the late 90's and it turned out to be one of the best times of my life. My week day routine was to day-trade stock until 1:00 then go quail hunting in the afternoon. (or ground squirrels depending on season). Had plenty of money and time to spend it. Didn't really even look for work until the market crash in 2000.

When one door closes another door of opportunity opens - don't worry about that dark hallway in between just keep moving. Optimisism and flexibility will get you where you want to go.

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I know they start you out low, but Home Depot advertized a couple of weeks ago that they were going to hire over 6000 employees nation wide. To get some money coming in you could tell people where to find stuff in the store for a while...my stepson has worked for them for over 8 years and they have some pretty good benefits. Give 'em a try.

13. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I hear that Obama is going to fix all that high unemployment stuff. Just vote for him again and everything will be just fine!

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you qualify for unemployment insurance? HMB

15. warren

warren Member

Start your own tutoring service see if you can drum up some business from your former students , as bad as the schools are you might find yourself a nitch.

warren

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

Not trying to be funny,but W.V. still has teacher shortages,and I believe Va. isn't much better off.

Doug H.

17. calilori

calilori TS Member

I really hated teaching at the end, and just can't picture myself going back to it.

HMB...my dad was just telling me the same thing about Home Depot. There is one less than a half mile from me. I could even ride my bike to work. I'll definitely check them out.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I keep reading how unemployment in my local area is getting better. I keep wondering who they ask to get their numbers. I know more unemployed people now than ever before. There was a time that i did not know anyone that was not working except for those who were lucky enough to retire. Keep your head up and keep looking. Its a dog eat dog world out there right now.

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Calilori, best of luck to you. Have you ever thought about starting your own business? "Little Debbie" snack cakes has a few distributorships listed on their website as being available in CA. A couple in the Bay area and one in Clearlake.

I have no idea what the capital requirements would be to get in, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I understand most are one man/woman operations. The distributors listed on their website in CA have been there a while. Click on the above site if interested. I think it would be fun driving around and stocking brownies and snack cakes in stores.

Good luck.

20. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Lori, I hope you find something quickly. Good luck. If I hear of anything, I'll certainly let you know. As you know, I am looking too. There isn't much in the Salina area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

active shooters that never got laid