1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Got Beat by a dude with one arm

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

I went to a local club for the first time tonight that is near my neigborhood to shoot a couple of practice rounds. I look down to the left, and two stations away is a a man with no left arm. I couldnt believe my eyes as he turned 24 of the targets to dust. Funny thing is he came to me and said "Nice shooting" after the round was over. Watching him made my day.

2. WillBill

WillBill Member

Let's celebrate it and get used to it! Thankfully, USA Shooting has a Paralympic shooting program in place for rifle and pistol. Shotgun is not too far behind, I've heard. America is sending 2 Paralympic shooters to London, and the Paralympic Olympics will be starting soon. We are sending rifle shooter Josh Olsen and pistol shooter Eric Hollen to the Games where, hopefully, they will medal.

At my club last week, a wheelchair shooter went 25, and cleaned all of our clocks.

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Missouri State Shoot saw a one armed shooter compete for many years in the past. Can't remember his name but he shot a Rem 1100, was a great shot and a heck of a nice guy.

Anyone remember his name and where he was from?

milt

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Anybody ever watch Dean DeBolt, of Iowa, I think? (Not to be confused with Dean DeBow).

Watched him shoot doubles at the Grand in Vandalia one year. He'd smoke a pair, tuck the gun in his arm, reload two shells, and do it again, over and over. Pretty impressive.

5. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Hi;

Wild Bill is correct. Because of the 2 wars we will see an entire generation of veteran amputees. Hopefully many of them will shoot trap. Those guys have it hard enough as is and I know all you other shooters out there agree that all of us need to be extra welcoming towards those who have sacrificed so much.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

6. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

One armed shotgunning must be exceptionally difficult. I sure wouldn't want to arm wressle a fellow who could do that.

7. arend003

arend003 Member

We had one in Osceola Wisconsin excellent shot and very nice gentleman.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Even more proof that trapshooting is much more of a mental sport, than physical.

9. t7731

t7731 Member

John, you are right about the arm wrestling. This guy was probably pushing 80 years old and he hurt my hand when he shook it.

10. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Back in the '60's and '70s there was a gentleman named Julian Zerwasiak (SP) from Central NY area. He was a skeet shooter with his left arm amputated at the elbow...

You never wanted to bet against Julian...He was quite a shooter.

Dave in SC

11. WillBill

WillBill Member

One individual I work with, occasionally, is an Iraq war vet. and left arm amputee. He's an excellent rifle shooter, smallbore and air, and plays on a war vets amputee softball team. The team only plays able-body teams (you might have seen his team on TV - the networks report on it from time to time). He bats one-handed and plays outfield. When he catches the ball, he throws it in the air, shakes off his glove, catches the ball and throws it in. If his team loses, not too often, he challenges the biggest opposing player to a pushup contest. He is capable of doing 60+ one-armed pushups and usually wins. He's another one you wouldn't want to arm wrestle. He is also close to bench pressing his body weight with one arm!

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

YA....I got beat in doubles one time by an old guy with a model 31 Rem. [pump] broken rib sections, and when it racked shells it rattled so much it thought it was going to fall apart........

GS

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Years ago, I lost a shoot off to a one armed man at the old Milwaukee gun club. He used his stump to hold up the forend of his BT 99. I also shot with a guy who had one leg and he used a wooden crutch to prop himself up and shot that way. Never understood why he just didn't shoot in a wheel chair?

This same guy played baseball on another team than I and he also batted with the crutch propping him up too. They had a pinch runner for him after he swung the bat.

I have been shooting for 42 years and have lost to women, children, a one armed man, a one legged man with a single crutch. About the only person I haven't lost to is a person in an iron lung, and that will probably happen some day too.

My boy said to me, that should tell you something about your shooting ability.
    Steve Balistreri

14. don q

don q TS Member

In the Sacramento area we have Rick Odekirk (no left arm) he shoots trap and skeet very well, he shoot a 1100 for everything including turkeys in March. don q

15. Twixter

Twixter Member

Iremember back in the 80's of a man that shot at the Iowa State Shoot who had no hands. He shot a Rem 3200 that had a very large trigger guard that he'd pull the trigger with his stump, had a hard leather cone on the forearm for his left hand. After sooting he'd use both stunmps to get the next shell from his pouch. Not to bad a shot either. Very interesting to watch. Have to give lots of credit to people with that much guts.

16. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Thank you Lord for all my blessings,

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Hivoltfl has the best response, wish I would have been that smart. Ross Puls

18. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Hivoltfl,

I'll second that...

At least once a day!

milt

19. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

I returned to the sport of trap shooting around 8 years ago. I was not in shooting condition and after only a few days my arms and shoulders were killing me. I complained about it until I saw a fantastic shooter on the line with only one arm, the other was amputated at the shoulder. He was a great shot and could re-load and make ready as fast if not faster then anyone else on the line. That was the last time I complained about my sore arms! Seemed disrespectful!

20. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I see a man quite often at the Pa State shoot with one arm. 27 yarder, I might add. seems to travel with his daughter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
brace for trap shooter amputee left arm
one arm dude

one arm trap shooter

one arm trap shooting
one armed shooter at nationals
shooting with one arm
skeet shooting with one arm
sling to help one arm shooters