1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Got Back From Sparta

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dt10john, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dt10john

dt10john Member

When the Grand left for Sparta I told myself I would never go. I gave in. Nice clean facility but there was something missing. It could have been the tractor pulling shooters up and down the trap field. It could have been the countless vendors.. Dayton seemed to have more for women. Thats what the wife said.I will go back again.. it just seemed to missing the personality that Vandallia had.

Just my 2 cents.

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I agree. The magic is gone. Sparta is a great facility but
    to sterile. It lost the excitement Vandilia had.

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Anytime you go somewhere new it takes awhile to develop it's own personality. A couple more visits and it will become what your looking for. :)

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Bill Grill hit the nail squarely on the head, I've been fortunate to have been to both places and each has it's good points. It's just like your friends they all have their own special good things you like about them. Ross Puls

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I was fortunate to be able to shoot Vandallia several times and now I have visited Sparta four times. Each location had its unique qualities. As I live in Louisville, KY, the drive to Sparta is an additional 110 miles but I like Sparta much better. In particular, I like being able to drive to my trap field and to be able to easily retrieve items from my vehicle. Give Sparta a chance and it will grow on you.

The weather this year is very, very nice.

Ed Ward

6. plaw

plaw Active Member

maybe it would help if they would plant some type of trees that would grow into shade trees. I think the ones that were planted was oak trees and anyone in the midwest knows it takes a lot of yrs. fot oak to grow into a shade tree.

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Plaw, it also takes water to grow trees. I've been at Sparta every yr and it looked to me like a lot of the trees died from a lack of H2O

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

If you think Sparta is boring, you should go back to Vandalia & see how much action is going on there these days. Should be pretty quiet with just you & the crickets.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What exactly makes a shoot boring?

Shooting Trap with some of the best shooters in the World at a World class facility with great weather. Catch a bite to eat with great friends both old and new. Watch shoot offs and sip a few beers while telling stories with friends. Pick up reloading supplies and do a little gun shopping. Yeah that sounds terribly boring. I can think of so many things I'd rather be doing. Not

Perhaps it's you Frank??

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Matt, you simply could not understand. Those of us who shot Vandalia, occasionally travel to Dayton and drive past the old grounds, still shiver in the presence of the many ghosts that still inhabit those hallowed grounds!!

11. John55

John55 Active Member

I shot at Vandalia for 20yrs and frankly don't miss it a bit. Terrible parking, riding those old wagons to get from where you parked and back again just to drop off something you bought and didn't want to lug around...The old, original end with large tress was great, but the newer and much larger west end was bare as a baby's butt, no different than Sparta. Maybe there were more vendors, but the way they were scattered all over makes it hard to tell. There's enough of them at Sparta and the food's better, IMO. Driving from place to place is lots easier and more convenient, especially when it's hot. Oh, and there's no big airplanes constantly going and coming, messing with your mind as you try to concentrate on a target! Getting away from there was long over due, IMO.

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

When will The Hall of Fame relocate to Sparta?

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Soon, very soon..

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Matt,

You should run for Mayor of Sparta ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A lot of nice scores in D class singles at Sparta. HMB

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you never went to Vandalia,you would not miss it. If you never went to Sparta,you would not miss it. Both had good and not so good points. I've been there 50+ years. Missed 1 year at Sparta. If the negative people would go to Sparta,I think they would enjoy it. Ohioans just got spoiled with the short drive. I know I did.
    Clyde

17. Bubba

Bubba Member

The Grand at Vandalia had a soul.

18. 27-T

27-T Member

Surely the state of Illinois can come up with some fast growing trees, like maple's and white pines to add some personality to the place. Every state has a forestry division with plenty of trees to stock state opwned land.

19. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Sparta is great, no place like it in the world...BUT it is overkill big time..

Vandalia had 100 trap fields 1 5/8 miles long..

Sparta has 125 trap fields 3 1/2 miles long..

The camping at Vandalia was tight..

The high dollar sites at Sparta are on 95' centers..

The vendors at Vandalia could all be seen in a leisurely walk..

Sparta ...you have to drive..

20. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have been to about 20 Grand American Trapshoots. Sparta is newer and cleaner. Fresh water behind every trap. Much cleaner. Less problems with loud callers. Great parking. Better food at much better prices. HOMEMADE ICE CREAM! !! DID I mention ice cream. No continual loud speakers. Friendly locals. Weather is fantastic. I, for one,am glad it is gone from Vandalia. Don't knock it if you gave not been to Sparta. Ever wonder what would have happened if their had been a fire in camping area at Vandalia? A disaster.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.