1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just got a reloader...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Just purchased a used Mec 9000GN for $375. It has less than 4000 rounds on it and is clean, no rust. It came with 500 primer and 10 pounds of shot and 1.5 bags of claybuster wads. Thanks to those of you who responded to my post "reloading, the more I read the more confused I get".

Now I have to find some good loads for AA hulls and Gun club hulls.

Dave

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Alway use published data and get set to have some fun doing your own reloads.

Bill

3. butcher

butcher Member

If you want bulged barrels load the two piece AA hulls. Remington STS hulls are way to go.

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

There is one important item not on the list......A SCALE!!!!! Do not re-load without one!!!!!!!!!!!!

GS

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Just checked the bbls on all three of my trap guns and I couldn't find any bulges at all. So, how come Charger, since I've been loading new AA hulls by the thousands??

Dave XT - just follow the "good advice" and load only what you find in published reloading guides. Good luck with your MEC.

rm

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I'll second getting a scale. It will be the best 100 bucks you ever spend. Bushing charts can be VERY misleading.

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, welcome to the wonderful world of reloading. I've been rolling my own for for better than 30 years. Now like other on here have suggested, get yourself a set of scales, beam balance would be my choice. Check out the powder mfg's web sites for load recomendations and have at it. Did you get any powder bushings with your loader? If not, let us know and we'll give you some pointers. Again, welcome....

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Reloading is the start. Now build yourself a shot maker system and really save some money.

9. oz

oz Active Member

First get a reloading BOOK and read it.

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

OZ hit the nail on the head. Lyman's 5th comes to mind..... Good read and a lot of valuable information....

11. smoke-eater

smoke-eater Member

Yes .. be aware that the MEC bushing chart is showing charge weights for single stage presses that (pack)the powder from vibration between drops, so a progressive press should be dropping lite... at least that is what a MEC rep, told me years ago.... another vote for getting a good set of scales....... gary s

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I would also add:

Do not shy away from adjusting the loader to optimize the quality of your loads.

At first I thought my shells were looking ok, but then I began to experiment after being nudged by my friend laura! and my crimps became much better, closely matching factory loads.

Don't settle for that hole in the middle, or a twist, or crimp depths that are too shallow/deep, or buckled hulls, etc.

Spot checking with a scale is all that's required once everything is dialed-in, especially if there is no change to components or load.

In my case, my wife and grandson were fantastic boxer-uppers, flat fillers and hull sorters.

Have fun!

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.