1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Closed NRA Visa

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

After a disappointing discussion with an obnoxious person at NRA Visa, I closed my account with them. Their level of service is not up to the standards of the Citi card and AMEX I have, so Good Bye NRA Visa. They seem to have no mechanism for fraud protection. When asked why they don't have this like other card companies, the smart young lady told me "we are not other card companies".

I politely told her to close the account. I have seen some shady companies that get info on me from the NRA, but this about does it with me trusting them with my information. (rant over)

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    want to really rant? Read the fine print on their gun insurance.

3. Shooting Coach

Dear Brian

I won't bother. The personal liability "insurance" they have for folks with carry permits MIGHT pay you back AFTER you spend thousands you might not have.

I am most disappointed with the whole bill of goods. If I did not have International Coach credentials in Rifle and Shotgun, even as a Benefactor Member I would kick the dust off my shoes and walk away from them. I MUST have these creds (and a federal background check) to work with young athletes and those who support and train them. I am the Shooting Coach for a very large southern University.

I have never charged a dime for the time and resources I have given to young athletes, their Coaches and parents. I make my livelihood from being a State Certified Firearms Trainer (Law and Security Enforcement) and a Tn Dept' of Safety Certified Pistol Instructor for the handgun carry permit.

I do not NEED the NRA. They seem to be very myopic and ineffective when dealing with the liberals. Gun Owners of America is sounding better every day.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

What Bank is the card held by? The NRA is only part of an Affinity Program and if their connection with that bank is not up to par, then contact the NRA and advise them.

Curt - Delaware

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Gun Owners of America is sounding better every day

I think this was the point of the thread in the first place...

6. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

EJoy: I don't believe Coagh is slamming them because of the things you mention. Read his thread again and I think you just might understand what he is saying. He is writting about them not having a security system set up on there charge cards. This is my pet peve!! People who interpert other things in peopls writtings and what they are saying. Bugs me to no end!! I in my book thingk NRA to a certain point is getting to big and really dosen't have many feelings to the membership. If they did why does it tak a handful of the member to get these guys off there back sides? Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.

7. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

P.S. Read the fine print on stolen guns and try to get the money back that the guns are worth and not only that but get the money back that you put into it getting it started. This is your NRA working for you? Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

8. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Coach

At times I don't see the big picture on some issues. But, as I see it, you have an issue with the bank that issued the card. From the NRA website, that appears to be First National Bank Omaha. But yet, you call the NRA to discuss the card?

It would appear you have issues with the NRA and use the card as an excuse to slam them.

Based on what you say, when I have a problem with my BP gas card, I should call the local BP gas station to rant.

Bill Radwan

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

My NRA Visa card is through the First National Bank of Omaha. The NRA gets a small percentage of the money I charge on the card. I also get a small refund each year based on the dollars that went through my account. I have no idea what the bank charges in interests for an unpaid balance. I have never paid a credit card company any interest.

I was told that the fraud protection is regulated by Visa, not the issuing bank. I do not know how to compair the fraud protections offered by the different companies that issue credit cards. I suspect that the only way to determine this is to have a claim with each company and see how they handle the claim. I do not want to try that. I am fairly confident that a short telephone conversation with a person from the credit card companies will not provide adequate information to form a conclusion about fraud protection.

Pat Ireland

10. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I have an NRA Visa and another Visa card both issued by 1st. National Bank of Omaha.

About once a year, I get 2 letters (one for each account) from said bank, outlining the security issues and the safeguards that are taken to protect each account.

I think the NRA Visa is as secure as any other charge card.

Fractionalizing the NRA with threats to drop your membership in favor of any other organization, is about as smart as voting for Ross Perot was in 1992. All THAT got us was Bill Clinton......is THAT what we want?

I don't think so.......

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Fraud and anti fraud is handled by the credit card companies.

Interestingly, in this vein, I received a call at 9:30PM from Discovery Card asking me if I was making a payment in the amount of $650 to T Mobile. When I told them I was not they immediately closed that account and issued a new card.

I was very impressed that they were that vigilant and asked the rep how did they happen to flag that charge and was told "it wasn't within my normal spending profile."

Kudos to Discovery Card

Smash Em,

Jerry

12. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

This came off NRA Visa website:

Visa's Zero Liability policy makes shopping 100% SAFE and SECURE, whenever you use your Visa Credit Card. Shop online, on the phone, or in your favorite store and never be liable for unauthorized use on your card. With Visa's Zero Liability policy*, you RISK nothing and PAY nothing for unauthorized use.

Plus, when using your Visa Credit Card, always keep these safety tips in mind.

General Card Safety Tips:

Sign your card as soon as you receive it.

Keep your card in a safe place where it won't bend or get scratched.

Protect your card from fraudulent activity. Never leave your card out unattended and always make sure your card is returned after every purchase.

Report lost or stolen cards to First National Bank Omaha immediately.

Save your receipts and compare your transactions against your monthly statement.

Report any unauthorized transactions or suspicious activity immediately.
    Online Shopping Safety Tips:

Use a secure server.

Shop with merchants you know and trust.

Read all merchant policies and privacy statements.

Never send your card number and information via e-mail.

Keep a record of your receipts by saving and/or printing your order confirmation.
    * Valid on U.S. issued cards only. Visa's Zero Liability policy does not apply to commercial card or ATM transactions, or to PIN transactions not processed by Visa.

13. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Credit cards are a near-necessary evil.
    The NRA is a near-necessary evil.

Both have their good points and their bad. It is a personal decision whether you want to participate in either program. No one can tell another person he is "right" or "wrong" in his decision.

If someone wants to rant against your favorite organization, whether it is the NRA, the ATA, the BSA, or the Catholic Church, it's their right. It's also your right to insult them for doing so, even if it is juvenile.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

This thread reminds me of the old saying:

Bad things happen to stupid people...

Curt - Delaware

15. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

code5coupe.....While I agree that arguing the merits of an organization like the NRA is a fool's persuit, who would argue that the NRA has not been the single organization that has preserved, for the most part, our rights under the second amendment in the US?

So, it comes down to this.....if we DO WANT to retain our gun rights in the US, can't we all agree that the NRA is our best hope? And that any fractioanlization of the effort by quitting the NRA in favor of some other less powerful organization would be a step in the WRONG DIRECTION?

16. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Coach, calling the NRA about your Visa card is like calling Ducks Unlimited because your "Dinner gun" is broke..............Roger

17. Shooting Coach

Dear Roger

Do not forget that the NRA endorses and recommends this product. That puts them near the driver's seat when the product is not as advertised. I have supported the NRA since 1958 and do not expect them to kiss my behind.

However, as an old country boy that pays his bills and keeps his word, I DO expect other folks to live up to their word, something that has been lacking in several organizations in the last few years.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't know about endorsing and reccomending. I get behests from the Electrical workers union to take on their card too.

In both cases the aggressive greedy lender tosses a crumb to the organization to use their name.

Look up any of the other visa vanity cards and you will see the same thing.

NRA never issued a card.

IBEW never issued a card.

NFL, NASCAR, etc, etc, ad infinitum never issued a card.

So why bitch them out?

And let's keep the thread on credit cards and not digress into the tired NRA BS.

HM

19. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"While I agree that arguing the merits of an organization like the NRA is a fool's persuit, who would argue that the NRA has not been the single organization that has preserved, for the most part, our rights under the second amendment in the US?"
    Not I, redhawk, not I.

"So, it comes down to this.....if we DO WANT to retain our gun rights in the US, can't we all agree that the NRA is our best hope? And that any fractioanlization of the effort by quitting the NRA in favor of some other less powerful organization would be a step in the WRONG DIRECTION? "

Except for one thing: if the 4 million NRA members defect to another organization like GOA, then the GOA becomes the the most powerful organization...the Great White Hope...for all of us. :)
    Just as Coach quit his NRA/Visa card for another card, so can we leave one group to support another group that does not come with the perceived downsides of the NRA. Personal choice, that's all. Each Second Ammendment group is, or becomes, what we make it.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Usually when one calls "customer service", they are calling the the "card administrator" which could be the bank or another 3rd party. Sears, Amoco, and Shell are all administered by Citigroup - and I've had issues with them, but I maintain the cards for my advantage not theirs.

I was an MBNA customer for years until Bank Of America bought out my 4 cards with them - including my NWTF "Turkey" card.

Toys R Us and Orvis are administered by Chase, so sometimes you have no clue who your doing business with until you specifically ask - so ask and complain to them.

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.