1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Just Bought my First Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by RemingtonReloader, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

BT-100, satin w/ 34" barrel, adjustable comb, 360 degree buttplate with a kick-eez pad, 3 chokes, extractor only with the case and everything's in pristine condition. Paid $1500, and feel like I got a deal. Would you say the same? Hope I made you proud Chad! -Aaron Schneider
  2. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

If you feel you got a great deal, then you did. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

rm
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You did not get hurt on that deal. That said, I agree with what yakimaman above said. The sign of a good deal is when both parties are happy. Your happy.
  4. RemingtonReloader

Any pointers on extra special care and maintenance for it?
  5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Active Member

Aaron,

My first competition trap gun was a BT-100. It served me well and I wish I had kept it. It got me punched to the 22 1/2 yard line (from the 20) and then I stayed there for 2 1/2 years shooting other guns. Of course, I had sold the gun that got me there...

The extractor can be changed over to ejector if you wish to do so. Send me a PM if you want to know how it's done.

Kevin
  6. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Active Member

Welcome...The First of Many Trap Gun's..I am sure that here...their are many that Remember that Day..A Very Special Day. So Good Luck. Shoot Well..Shoot Often,with Good Friends, Bart

Remember asking and Old Model 12 Shooter many years ago at The Grand...How many Trap Guns does a Trap shooter Need...He smiled and said..Just One More.

Looking back at it now..He's Long Gone..Almost Wish ..He had Said..Just ONE
  7. grntitan

Special care:

Keep all areas where metal rides on metal lubed. Also lube the forearm lug before assembly. The gun should never and I mean never be assembled without properly lubing it first. It can gall in the hinge area very fast if the gun is worked dry. Clean the old grease off and apply new lube after every session of shooting to make sure nothing has gotten in the grease to cause galling. Regular wheel bearing grease works good for lube but you may also buy any of the speciality gun lubes if you so choose. The most important thing is clean lube.

If your gun is the gloss finish BT100 it can be changed from extract to eject and back quite easily. If it is the matte finish gun, it can only extract. The switch is on the drop-out trigger mechanism.

Like many above, I too had a BT100 that I shot very well. For some stupid reason I just had to sell it for a "grass is greener" gun. Still kick myself on that one. Good luck with yours. For singles and handicap, that gun is all you will ever need. Don't let anyone tell you different.
  8. RemingtonReloader

Hey, thanks! So grease the metal-on-metal contact points? Or should I just use a light oil?
  9. pdq

pdq Member

ditto spcltrap.

Operative word in what he said is 'thin', loading it up with grease can cause problems if it gets squished into places it's not supposed to be.

In talking with Rich Phillips at Silver Seitz, the amount he'd put on the bearing surface is about equivalent to how shiny your finger looks if you rubbed the side of your nose on a hot day. You don't need a ton.

Just as important is frequency. "You shoot ze gun, you clean ze gun". Part of my Sunday afternoon routine. Nice thing is that break open guns are super easy to take apart, clean, lube and then reassenble. Remember to wipe down the exterior and clean the barrel also. Rem Wipes work very well on the exterior metal.

Pete
  10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Good advise above about the use of grease, especially on the hinge areas.

Also, a swab of lube in the chamber will keep rust away, especially if you shoot plastic shells.

Some say the adj. comb hardware is not so good but you can be the judge of that.
    A great choice for your first or last Trapgun.

Regards....Gerald
  11. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I just traded for one yesterday and I am very proud! Mine is in excellent condition...the lver is way to the right...it has very heavy duty after-market hardware on the adjustable comb...and a 34" barrel.

Mine "ejects" now...How do I change it to "extract" ??? Jack

p.s. Is it normal for these to shoot quitte high? As in 90/10?
  12. grntitan

Jack,

Remove the BT100 trigger mechanism It should look like this picture except this one is a release set-up(red and yellow arrows). The "BLUE" arrow indicates the switch to change your gun from extract to eject and vice versa. I don't remember which way does what as its been too long but that's the spot. Ignore the yellow and red arrows.

The BT 100's are/were somewhat higher shooters. I believe mine was more like 80/20 high with me shooting it but the difference in shooters can also change that.
    [​IMG]
  13. RemingtonReloader

I have some t/c t17 grease, would that work? It's blue and smells like icy hot. Thanks! -Aaron Schneider
  14. grntitan

Aaron,

If I'm not mistaken, that is Thompson Center's breech plug grease. While it will probably work fine, I believe it was designed as more of an anti-sieze than a lubricant. I would use something else but that's me. Then again someone with more knowledge on that product may chime in.

A tip:

I use a small Flux Brush for applying my grease to the certain areas. They are really cheap(like several of them in a pack for a few bucks) and they put just the right amount on. As someone stated above, just a light coating is all that is needed.

Flux brushes:

[​IMG]
  15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Grntitan is spot-on. Get a tub of NAPA Wheel Bearing Grease. It's as good as grease gets and a tub will last you 10 years. Be SURE to grease the receiver knuckle and it's mating surface on the forend iron. Then wipe 100% of that grease off every time you shoot and replace it with CLEAN grease.

A BT-100 is the most trap gun for the buck you can buy in my opinion but Browning break-actions guns are tight and gall faster than any gun on earth. I've seen one go from pristine to horribly galled in just 25 shots because it was tight and improperly greased. Don't suffer the same heartbreak.

Good luck with your BT-100!

-Gary
  16. RemingtonReloader

OK what is the reciever knuckle? the rounded edge that the forearm hooks to? I don't want this this thing to do whatever the one you're talking about did. -Aaron Schneider
  17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It is the rounded frontmost part of your receiver -- your forend mates with and pivots/slides around it when you break open the gun. It is by far the #1 spot where break-action Brownings get ruined.

-Gary
  18. grntitan

This is a Browning BT99 that shows galling on the receiver "knuckle" Gary above is referring too. This should be perfectly smooth but as you can see it has grooves worn into the face of the "knuckle".

[​IMG]
  19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Ah yes - a perfect picture of the dreaded and heartbreaking Browning knuckle galling. You've all been warned, LOL.

-Gary
  20. mbm5770

mbm5770 TS Member

Fun doesn't have a price.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.