1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST 28 GAUGE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

AFTER SAVING FOR 1.5 YEARS, I FINALY GOT THE GUN. I HAVE BEEN BUYING SHELLS EVERY WEEK AND EVEN HAD SOMEONE GIVE ME 2000 HULLS, AND SOME WADS. SO I FIGURED IT WAS TIME TO BUY THE GUN.

I ENDED UP BUYING A USED BROWNING 525 FOR A GREAT PRICE. EVEN THOUGH IT'S A FIELD GUN WITH 2 BEADS i'M USING IT FOR SKEET. I HAVE TO ADMIT SHE'S A REAL BEAUTY. THE LAST GUN I'LL EVER HAVE TO BUY.

I TOOK IT OUT YESTERDAY,DESPITE COLD AND WINDY WEATHER. I COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW IT SHOT. LIKE A .410 BUT HIT THE BIRDS LIKE A 12 GAUGE.

I DON;T THINK I'LL SHOT MY 20 FOR A WHILE...WHAT A FUN GUN TO SHOOT. A LITTLE TOUGHER TO HIT THE TARGETS WITH, IT'S ME NOT THE GUN.

THE ONE QUESTION I HAVE IS. I KNOW THAT I WILL HAVE TO RELOAD MY SHELLS FOR THIS GAUGE . I HAVE 2000 HULLS THAT WERE GIVEN TO ME, ONCE FIRED.
    MOST OF THE HULLS ARE REO'S, ESTATES, FIOCCHI, AND KEMAN ,FEDERAL.

THE QUESTION IS CAN I LOAD THESE HULLS AT LEAST ONE OR TWICE, IF i USE A LOW PRESSURE FORMULA. I HATE TO LET THESE HULLS GO UNSED,SINCE SOMEONE WAS VERY NICE TO GET THESE FOR ME.

CAN'T WAIT FOR FRIDAY SO I CAN SHOOT THAT 28 GAUGE.

HAVE A GOOD ONE.

JEFF

2. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Congrats - The 28 gage is the 'biggest' gun on the skeet field. As you get more proficient swinging it for skeet you might find that adding a little bit of weight under your left hand or so will keep it swinging in a nice smooth arc. Blast 'em.

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Nice buy! I love my 28 like a member of the faimly.. no recoil and the targets explode..shot my first straight with it.. you should be able to get at least 2-3 loads from the hulls, all I have ever loaded in 28 was AA's but in other gauges I have loaded them all..

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

My highest average in all gauges in registered skeet was with 28 ga. tubes. Will be a Great gun for you! Enjoy...Regards, Ed

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Happy for you. Said to be the perfect gauge for skeet.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Alot of 28 guage shooters (me included) think that this round just plain works better than it should. I haven't found a better guage for quail.

You can make ammo with all of the hulls you have but time and experience at loading 28 guage ammo will convince you that the Winchester HS 28 guage hull is the only way to go.

But you need to find this out for yourself and in the process you are going to have a great time experimenting with your new toy.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You should be able to get a few reloads out of each. I would not worry about low pressure loads, but would not push it on hulls that you can't get reload information on. Fiocchi and Federal have loads listed on the the Hodgdon website.

I've shot the 28 gauge in 16 yard trap (practice) and sporting clays (sub gauge events) with good results. I just change out #9s for #8s. If you can get your hands on 8 1/2 shot, give it a try. Play around with your chokes and see which give you the best results.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

What wolfram saya baout the reloading.

My 28ga guns are my favorite of all and my go to gun for just about everything. I suspect you will begin to see that your 28ga seems to hit harder thyen your 20ga. I can't shoot Starlings any farther with my trap guns then I can with my 28ga full choke 870. So far that you need to see it to believe it. Jeff

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I took my little Browning 28 Chucker hunting this fall. What a great gun to carry all day and it crumples birds.

You will love it.

3 reloads should be possible out of those hulls.

Check out the link.

Don Verna

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new 28 gauge. I have been reloading Rios and have been getting as many as 6 reloads. Hopes this helps. JM

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jeff, I think that you will find that your l l/2 year wait will be worth it. The 28 is my favorite ga. by FAR. The 525 is the perfect gun as well, I know?? The 28 ga. breaks targets like a 12 ga. and kicks like a 410. OK. LOL. The Rio's and Keman's are Cheddite hulls, the Estate's are Federals and might load the same. I hope you have a single stage Mec to load on. You may find adj. the press for all those different hulls a bit of a pain on your backside. In time you'll load all Rem. STS's or the Win. AA's. I was loading all three different 410's. Old Win. AA and the new, and the Rem. STS's as well. Found a wad that worked well in all three, but had to use a different powder bushing for each one. Let me tell you its easy to forget to check sometimes and use the wrong one, no matter how careful you try to be. Just a quick heads up for that. Wish I could be there shooting with you this weekend, just to see the smile on your face. Now Break-em all. Jeff

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Rio hulls use an oversized primer. If you use a regular primer it will fall out. HMB

13. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Used to have an 1100 Sporting 28. Shot the gun very well, and had my best skeet scores with it. Damn thing kept breaking parts and I got tired of that and traded it on a deer rifle. Sorta regret that, but will have another 28 some day. The 28 is all you need on the skeet field. As others have mentioned, go with the Winchester AAHS hull, it's the best in the 28. IIRC, I used to load (and this is NOT a published load) AAHS hulls, Claybuster AAHS clone wad, Fed 209A, 14 grains of Universal and 5/8 oz of #9. Made my 28 into a magnum .410, but I shot my first 25 straight at skeet with that load.

~Michael

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I own and love shooting my 28 ga on the sporting clays course. I'm going to start reloading using the new AA casings the HS hulls any one have a good recipe for that?

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Bruce,

Try Universal Clays and the HS wad or clone with 3/4 Oz shot. The 1,200 FpS load listed by Hodgdon with these components fills the HS hull perfectly and has been a very good performer for me.

16. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

Just bought one also, a Browning Cynergy. Also can't wait to try it out. Jim

17. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Jeff - those hulls you have can be loaded once. They will then start to split down the side at the hull mouth and will not crimp properly nor hold a firm crimp. The 28 and .410 produce a lot of pressure vis-a-vis their hull surface area, so those little hulls take a quite a beating at the hull mouth. In that case you will lose opening pressure and they might not perform as they should. The Federals 'might' be good for two reloads - I have never loaded Federal 28's. One of our skeeters at the club loads those old, burgandy ribbed Federal 28's and they crush targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.