1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

just bought lead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chourico, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chourico

chourico TS Member

I just bought lead in RI for $34.50 a bag + taxes.From wat i see that seems to be average.Powder and primers remain the same price.Lead seems to be the problem.I just did some math and it costs me about $4.25 per box to reload.The price is getting close to new shells,pretty soon its not worth it to reload.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

$34.50 is alot better than I'm seeing on this side of the country. Consequently I'm shooting new TopGun and Estate shells and enjoying the simplicity of that. Pretty nice not having to mess around with all those hulls.

3. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Either your dealer is selling lead that he bought months ago, or he's making 50 cents a bag on current stock, just to get you in the store. The going rate from just about every wholesaler in the East right now is $34 a bag, if they even have any. That price seems to be set by the markup the wholesaler puts on after Lawrence makes the bulk delivery to them. Can anyone shed any more light on this? This is just my theory based on numerous phone calls during the month of January.

4. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

At $4.25 a box, the time to stop reloading is here!!!!
    I just bought Noble Sports for $4.45 a box (Flat price).
    I will not spend the time to reload for a savings of .20 a box.

No reloading components to store, and my time is worth more than a few dollars an hour.

5. ROGER A.

ROGER A. TS Member

25lb. bag shot for $20 at Pocatello Trap Club, Pocatello, Idaho with membership ($25 i think) and purchase of four practice tickets ($3.50 each)

6. pdq

pdq Member

With the Remington rebate that just ended, I bought STSs at a net price of $5/box. I can't afford to re-load if I calculate my time as having any value.

Pete

7. chourico

chourico TS Member

roger is that a joke or are you serious $20 a bag?I will take 1 ton!!!!!

8. SALPICAO

SALPICAO TS Member

anyone buy lead at WALLUM LAKE in RI lately? Wonder what they are getting for a bag these days

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Chourico,

The $20/bag stuff is reclaimed shot. It is a good price but you have to be a club member and buy shoot tickets to qualify.

10. chourico

chourico TS Member

salpicao i better make sure i dont miss spell your name you get very maddddddd!

11. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

SALPICEO,

I have Dick's email adress and will find out how much a bag .

Sandy Holehouse.

12. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"...my time is worth more than a few dollars an hour."

Really? how much do you charge yourself for watching TV, reading a magazine.... sitting on the throne?

If you're reloading to save money, and your reloads are worth no more than the cheapest junk you can buy then, yeah, it's time to quit. When my handloads are costing MORE than a new box of AA's, GM's or STS's, I'll still be reloading.

13. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Mike I couldn't agree with you more. My reloading time is a time that I have to myself and I find it very relaxing. Some suggest that reloads are comparable to the Wally World shells, Gun Clubs or some of the other lower budgeted shells. When in fact reloads are custom and with a little effort and time you can have just as good quality as an AA and STS.

Bryan

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Comparing Noble Sports to a reload consisting of a STS hull and top quality components is like saying a Yugo is the same as a BMW. Hardly a fair comparison especially when the reloads are cheaper than the Noble Sports. If you put an hourly wage on everything you do, how do you ever enjoy youself? Reloading(like stated before) is my relaxing time. I enjoy the satisfaction of shooting a good score or even winning with shells i loaded myself. I guess everybody is differnt though.

Matt

15. rdf59

rdf59 Member

With $34.00 Shot I am reloading 12ga trap and clays loads for $3.55 (incl sales tax) a box. I am using STS hulls with 17.8 gr 700x, 1 1/8 shot, Nobelsport primers and Claybuster wads.

My hulls are free since I buy them 5 flats at a time and I count the hulls as free. At times I get once fired Gun Clubs free.

I think one of the reloading "secrets" is to buy good clones of the premium priced components. I've been using this combination for 3 years and scores have not suffered --- they've improved.

16. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

pdq, Loading is part of the hobby. Do you value your time and figure a dollar amount for the time driving to the range, waiting to shoot, shooting, standing around after yor shoot talking to friends and the time back home. Also the gas to and from the club.
    I load the same load everytime and it works well. I don't know if GC,TG and other cheap loads are consistant from one lot to the next. Something has to be different for manufacturers to sell them for less than AA and STS's.

17. SALPICAO

SALPICAO TS Member

Conn.Man thank you

18. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

The shot is not reclaimed - it is new Northwest Magnum out of Oregon. The last time the Club was mined about four years ago the Club's share was trucked to Northwest and exchanged for new shot. The cost for the exchange, including trucking both ways, was somewhere south of $10 per bag. The Board of Directors wanted to help out our members with the cost of shooting, but do it in a way that would not encourage a person to buy a whole bunch and sell it at a big profit elsewhere. Our solution was to restrict sales to members only for $20 per bag, but require a purchase of four shoot tickets at the time of sale. The shoot tickets are nonrefundable, but can be used at any time. As Roger said the tickets are $3.50 each, so the out of pocket expense is $34 per bag. However the annual membership is $20, not $25, and you can purchase a lifetime membership for $200.

By my calculations I get a little over 14 boxes of 1 1/8 oz loads from a 25 lb bag of shot, and about 16 boxes of 1 oz loads, so have over 10 boxes left after I use my four shoot tickets. I think that most of the Pocatello Trap Club members who reload agree that the Board came up with a fine solution for the high cost of shot.

19. dhip

dhip Active Member

30.95 a bag,,10 bag min.

Doug H.

20. mike2010

mike2010 TS Member

just bought a ton at $31.50 a bag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.