1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

just bought a grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fvtrkyhntr, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Just bought a new grand reloader. Any tips or tricks I should know before I start? Been using an old grabber.
    Thanks Ken

2. redlinefever

redlinefever TS Member

what hulls r u using also is it new or new old stock ? what coler is ur wad guide? I love mine been using it for 3 months

3. redlinefever

redlinefever TS Member

i agree i had to adj powder and shot tubes also if u shoot aa or remington u need to go to the long tube that gets ent with it but the video tell all of that if u wad guide is black u need up dates call rcbs and they will get them in the mail u need to be using the white wad guide !! hope u like and enjoy ur new press i love mine

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

what's a grand?

5. warren

warren Member

I bought one last spring it was set for remingtons which is what I reload anyway really didn't have to change anything except adjust the primer insert. I called them about the mounts to raise it off the bench and they sent them free post paid. I've used it all summer at least 3000 rds. no trouble I've had a Grabber and an SL 900 and I like this one the best, it's not as fast as the SL900 but seems to work smoother at least for now.

warren

6. ABH

ABH Member

I have two RCBS GRANDS and also load STS hulls. Never had to adjust either machine. A great machine, and no shot or powder spills. Your going to love it.

ART H.

7. txkpistol

txkpistol TS Member

I purchased a new RCBS Grand from this site over a month ago after seeing one demoed at Sparta. The box was missing the video so I asked RCBS to send me one. It’s been several weeks and they have yet to send me one. Also, I asked RCBS about shot bushing for 7/8 oz #8 ½ and 7/8 oz #8. They told me to call Hornady or another manufacturer and order those sizes from them. I’m SOL because nobody makes those sizes that I can find. The 7/8 oz #7 ½ provided with my loader loads to much shot of the #8 and #8 ½ so a smaller bushing is needed.

I also needed a powder bushing for 15.5 grains of Universal. The bushing That RCBS was trying to sell me did not jive with their bushing chart supplied with the loader. After a few emails and an a phone call, RCBS admitted that the powder /bushing chart they were using in their office was incorrect and the chart provided with the loader was the correct one.

If I knew that I would have to work this hard at this marriage I would have said “no thank you”. Have yet to consummate this marriage because I've yet to load a box of shells……..maybe you will see an 20 gauge RCBS loader for sale on this site in the not too distant future.

m

8. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Only problem I have with mine is the primer feed, no matter what I do it misses one every once in a while. Other than that it's great. I load AA's on it.
    Woody

9. kofh2

kofh2 Member

Woody, do you drop a few extra,say half a dozen,primers in your drop tube before you start reloading? Walter

10. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

just unpacked the new press tonight. The alliant reloading guide is a 2004 so I guess it is old stock. The wad guide is black so i'll try customer service for the updates. Thanks Ken

11. AlanM

AlanM Member

txpistol

There is a bushing you can get that will allow you to use Mec bushings. I forget the name of the manufacturer(Ballistic Products?????), perhaps some one on here can help you with that. I use all Mec bushings and have no problem.

Alan

12. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

Txkpistol

I may have the 7/8 shot bushings for 8 shot and 7 1/2 from my hornady. If I do are you interested in them?

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Just to help out all reloaders that have the ball on the handle of their machine is to have a small bottle of Baby Powder handy and put some on your hand before you start loading and that will make your evening or day much more pleasent.

14. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Walter, no I don't do that yet but if it helps I will. Thanks.
    Woody Sullivan

15. kofh2

kofh2 Member

Woody, what I do is when depriming the first hull with the lever still down I slide the primer tray tab a few times to drop some extras in the tube. In the event one doesn't drop from the tray there's already one in the tube to take its place. No more missed primers. Works for me. Good luck. Walter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.