1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Blowing Smoke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ed in MD, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed in MD

Ed in MD TS Member

I'm relatively new to trapshooting as well as shotgunning. Is there a rational/practical reason for clearing one's barrel of smoke after extracting the spent hull? As a newb, i watch the experienced guys and some do and some don't.

Thanks, Ed Wenrich

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>Is there a rational/practical reason for clearing one's barrel of smoke after extracting the spent hull?</i>

None that I an think of.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is a testosterone thing. My thing is sucking the smoke from the barrel when I shoot red Dot in Paper hulls LOL

4. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

I do it sometimes. It's a mental thing. Shoulder gun, call, break, clear barrel. It's a mental habit that i picked up that keeps me from getting frustrated if i miss.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Blowing the smoke out of the barrel lets the shooter have a clear view down the bore to check for obstructions ,i.e. remnants of the fired shell.

MK

6. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

I feel compelled to respond. A long time ago a buddy talked me into trying registered trap. He was (still is) a heck of a shot (2007-08 VA State Team with a 95%+ HOA avg.) Anyway, when I (finally) ran a straight I cleared the smoke out of the end of the barrel and asked him if he had any questions just to make him laugh. Good times back then. Other than that, no real purpose other than to see how dirty your powder is burnin'...

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Blowing the smoke out of the barrel lets the shooter have a clear view down the bore to check for obstructions ,i.e. remnants of the fired shell.

You only have to do that if you are shooting AA reloads loaded on anything but a MEC.......LOL

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Unknown1

"Blowing the smoke out of the barrel lets the shooter have a clear view down the bore to check for obstructions ,i.e. remnants of the fired shell."

Are you making a concerned effort to give a real reason instead of being a wiseaker like the rest??????

Well if so I agree with you that is the most practical reason. It is at least an effort to try to avoid those dreaded shotgun blowups.

Bob Lawless

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I check the barrel after every shot weather it is a factory or a reloaded shell.
    It is a good habit to get into. It mite save your gun or your arm if there is ever an obstruction.
    I had a friend 2 weeks ago that shot a blooper and not thinking just put another shell in to fire. lucky for him a person saw what happened and stopped him before it went bang. That is why I always look down the tube.

10. Ed in MD

Ed in MD TS Member

Yup, Goose, Bob, and Unknown. I'm not sure I would have thought about making a routine barrel check w/o a blooper/squib, but it makes sense. thank you!!!

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Throwback from the old days. Not a bad idea.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'm firing Federal papers, it's an addiction.

For the rest they are using the newer style AA's and fearful of a basewad seperation.

ss

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Just another way of getting rid of excess hot air !!!

14. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a TV show back in the 60's that was a Western where the hero would always blow the smoke out of his barrel?

It was considered cool man...

15. andybull

andybull Active Member

I guess it's like folks who chew their fingernails.

16. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I probably should blow the smoke out of my barrel,because sometimes on a fast squad I'll mount my gun ,and noticed smoke raising up out of the muzzle.

D.P.Reynolds

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I'd ignore it, unless you begin to notice the smoke is wafting by your ear. ;-)

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I was told by another shooter that he can't stand it when someone blows on their barrel. He says it makes a noise like blowing on an old jug. That's a good one.

19. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

lol... he can hear the jug music even with earplugs in?

20. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

Everyone knows you blow through the barrel so the smoke doesn't slow the velocity of the next shot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do you blow out the smoke from your barell when trap shooting

trapshooting blowups com

why do people blow in ther shotgun barrel

why do people blow smoke from the barrel of a gun

why do trap shooters blow down the barrel