1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just A Thought

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolar kda, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolar kda

kolar kda TS Member

This is too true to be very funny. The next time you hear a politician
    use the word "billion" in a casual manner, think about whether you want
    the "politicians" spending YOUR tax money. A billion is a difficult
    number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of
    putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth.

E. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate
    our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New
    Orleans. It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division, Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu(D), is presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans . Interesting number, what does it mean?

A. Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans(every man, woman, child), you each get $516,528.

B. Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans, your home gets $1,329,787.

C. Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington, D.C .. HELLO!!! ... Are all your calculators broken??

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

God! I'm glad it was just a thought!

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

kolar kda ... so that entire $2.5bil is supposed to go to the people or to the houses?

Since it seems like an important enough topic for you to post it here on TS.com can you break those numbers down a little more. How much is supposed to go towards the infrastructure of the area? How much is supposed to go towards things like hospitals and such?

I am sure many would like to know the breakdown of the money especially those in New Orleans since they know they will not see any actual money but they will see some much needed repair of the area from both before and after Katrina.

Can ya break the numbers down or are you only trying to stir up some arguments?

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Kolar kda was just giving some samples of what the BILLION dollar amount represents. Simple to understand. All you have to do is look at the word IF (second word)at the begining of each sentence under the New Orleans heading.

Bill

5. Ride Easy

Ride Easy TS Member

Lumper is just doing what Lumper does best - being Lumper.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ride Easy ... you are simply correct in all you say and do.

Now in reality what kolar kda is trying to do is bash the democratic party for trying to get $250 billion dollars to rebuild New Orleans by comparing that dollar amount to how much each citizen, each homeowner or each family of 4 would get but he is not mentioning at all what the actual money would be spent on and what the breakdown of that money would be.

As I have asked him to do but will most likely not be done is to now break it down as to what the money would be actually spent on ... it aint gonna be handed to the citizens like he is referencing and $250 billion will be spread out over a much larger area than just New Orleans. There are/were Parishes and area's that were ... well ... they were there before the storm and then they were not.

The original post is 100% troll for political bashing ... nothing more and nothing less than that.

7. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Lumper has an interesting perspective that is just as misleading and incorrect as the first post, just coming form an extremely liberal viewpoint. It is true that the money was not set up just to rebuild homes that were destroyed. But more importantly WHY THE HELL DO THE REST OF US TAX PAYORS HAVE TO FOOT THE BILL TO REBUILD ONE SINGLE HOME? Let’s see, anyone and everyone that lives within a flood zone can buy flood insurance through the national flood administration. So those people that made a decision to live below water level CHOOSE not to purchase coverage for their homes, then expect the rest of us to pay for it when it gets flooded. BS. But then I guess we can expect that from the entitlement mentality of those that had loss during that storm. After all many of the same people choose not to purchase health insures so they can afford cigarettes, alcohol, fast food, Nike Air Jordan’s, cell phones, LCD flat screens, MP3 players and going clubbing. Then expect the rest of us to cover their health care. Now Lumper will tell you that getting flood coverage is not affordable for some of these people, and I’ll agree. BUT if they can’t afford flood insurance why CHOOSE to live where you’re going to get flooded? Then Lumper will say they had to live there for their job, and I’ll agree again, BUT if the job was that good that they CHOOSE to stay there for it, why couldn’t they afford coverage? Then he whine about number of kids, (ANOTHER BAD CHOICE) single parent (BAD JUDGEMENT IN LIFE PARTNER), educational disadvantage (REAL BIG SELF DESTRUCTIVE MOVE) and on and on and on. The bottom line is why should we have to send any money to those that screwed themselves? Why is it that I’m expected to look out for myself but other in this country are not? Does anyone think that if your home is flooded or burns to the ground and you choose not to insure them, the government will bail you out? If they won’t why would they do it for someone that lives in New Orleans? It’s time for some personal responsibility!

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mr Conley ... I was not aware I would have said any of that but I guess I would because you said so.

Personally though ... just for the record ... I believe you get what you put into life. If you want to pay for luxuries instead of health insurance than you have no health insurance when your sick and if you get sick your in big trouble. If you live in a flood zone you must have flood insurance to get a mortgage and if you do not have a mortgage and no flood insurance than you have some serious problems if you get flooded. I also think that if your a single parent by choice than you should take care of that child all by yourself because it was your choice to have the child but if your a single parent by divorce or separation than you need to go after the other parent for financial support in raising of that child.

See that is what I really think but I guess I was wrong because you say I would have said other things ... dang ... oh well ... this is turning into what I predicted and thought ... just another troll post to start hate and discontent here on TS.com ... nothing more and nothing less than that.

9. kolar kda

kolar kda TS Member

it was as i said "just a thought" and also i never claimed these were my numbers, this came from "one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases" they are not numbers that i just dreamed up. maybe the money isn't going "to the people" but i have a pretty good idea as to much much the government is/has already paid some contractors to rebuild. i worked for a construction company that went down there (i didnt go as i have a new family), several of my friends on the crew were driving bulldozers around all day and makeing as much as $60 an hour. thats a whole lot more than i make an hour, where did all that money come from lumper since you are the smart one here?

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Interesting to think I'm a billion seconds old.

11. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

The pot of gold at the end of every lawsuit. From a paper in PA. "NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering - including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion."

"For the sake of perspective: A mere $1 quadrillion would dwarf the U.S. gross domestic product, which Scott said was $13.2 trillion in 2007. A stack of one quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn.

Some residents may have grossly exaggerated their claims to send a message to the corps, which has accepted blame for poorly designing the failed levees.

I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.