1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a thought on target year change

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KW post 5, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KW post 5

KW post 5 TS Member

If new year starts Nov-1 for Grand requirments,why cant all the states leave a Sept-1 date for there target requirments for that year ,or would this make thing to complicated??????? Kevin Wunder

2. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Add the targets that were shot AFTER the 2008 Grand American (in the months of September and October 2008) to the minimum target qualifications for the 2009 Grand American and you have a winner.

3. RLC323

RLC323 Member

With this "new" target year date I hope the state organizations will consider reducing the target minimums for the state shoots. The Missouri shooters will have a tough time getting their targets in by mid-May if we get a nasty cold spring like we had a few years ago. I feel most shooters should be classified on the previous years targets, not on four or five spring shoots in lousy weather.

Beyond that, I have trouble believing that the rule was changed to accomodate those shooting for state team and all american qualification. Those shooters get the targets in no matter when the year ends. Most likely the rule was to relieve pressure on the ATA office staff during Sept., Oct., Nov. Lots of crying on here about the ATA getting the cards out late in the last few years.

Worst of all the new rule makes next years targets shot in Sept. and Oct. as worthless toward Grand classification as the targets I shot yesterday. If you do not like this target year rule let your delegate know. I plan to. Ron

4. KW post 5

KW post 5 TS Member

Neil Winston if you read this let us know your thoughts Thanks Kevin Wunder

5. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

It means that in Ohio there will not be any targets to count toward the new year until April. If I go to Florida or something I could pick up some targets for the minimums toward the state shoots and the grand. It basically gives me a two month window to get the minimums. I don't like it. Todd

6. KW post 5

KW post 5 TS Member

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Todd, the change will place a hardship on you and many other shooters, but it will help the work load of three ladies in the ATA office.

Pat Ireland

8. silverado

silverado TS Member

I cant see doing a major change like this just to take the work load off of the help in the ATA office. It would be too bad if shooters had to wait for cards or their averages are not up to date on the website by Sep 1. They always get it done, the winers will just have to live with it. Oct and Nov will be basically wasted months in the new year here in the midwest, and will make it harder to get targets in. I'm wondering how a major change like this can be voted in without anybody knowing about it. I like tradition and want to keep it the same. That's 2 cents worth.

9. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Let's just figure this out.<bR>
    Targets in September and October do not count for the target requirements for the next target year or the grand. The Illinois Northern Zone targets will not count. The Chicago Grand Targets will not count. The Grundy County Fall Handicap will not count. <BR>
    <br>
    November - cold, maybe snow, hunting season , no ATA SHOOTS <BR>
    December, Snow-cold and wind NO ATA SHOOTS, <br>
    January - snow-cold and wind NO ATA SHOOTS <BR>
    February - snow-cold and wind NO ATA SHOOTS <br>
    March - snow-cold and wind NO ATA SHOOTS <BR>
    April - maybe snow -cold and wind Few if any ATA shoots <br>
    May - Mothers Day - NO club wants to hold an ATA shoot and take a bath on that shoot. The Great Lakes shoot - NO club wants to hold a shoot against Great Lakes and a holiday weekend <BR>
    June - Fathers Day - No club wants to hold a local shoot. <br>
    July - 4th of July Holiday with the family, no shoots <bR>
    How can you get targets fill the minimum requirements for the grand if you have only have parts of May, June and July to get these targets??? Some shooters have work and family obligations and can't shoot each and every weekend in those 3 months.
    <br>
    Apparently this is a rule for those with motor homes that don't work and can go to Florida and Arizona during the winter to get their targets. This new rule screws the average club shooter whose highlights of the year is their State shoot ( over a long weekend ) or maybe for a few days at the grand.

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Our local club throws 3 ATA shoots prior to the end of April. Only sissies (LOL) won't shoot until the weather is perfect. Just dress for the weather and shoot!

JB=JKerry Beach 8503917

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- Don't forget about our new members who will join for the first time after Nov. 2008. They will not feel very welcome at their state shoot when at the desk they go to they get a penalty. A two year shooting history is hard to get when a person has only been a member for less than one year.

Pat Ireland

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

PITA has the same target year as the new ATA target year, November 1st through October 31st. In PITA your Singles average is computed on your last 1000 targets shot at and you are required to carry your last years card if necessary to verify your average.

13. debateableone

debateableone TS Member

What does it matter when the 3 ladies get this done? IF you knew the target year was ending the day after the grand all targets after that date will be for next year. Who cares if they post October, Novemeber or when!
    Why can't the shoot reports be automated so clubs send in electronically
    and we only need 1 lady to work in the ATA office for keeping this information.
    We obiviously don't need a Director. With Norris and Bopp gone have you noticed any great loss of the ability to shoot registered targets. Maybe we should rethink the entire process, and reduce overhead. Possibly keep 1 or 2 persons in the ATA office and a much smaller office.
    I don't know but it is always Debateable...

14. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I have always enjoyed shooting in the fall months, before harvest and after school starts around the midwest is a great time to get in some registered targets. Most school activities leave Sunday free, family reunions are over by September. Just a nice half dozen or so nice weekends to get some targets for next year. Around here we feel we are getting a jump on the target year by shooting in the fall, before spring comes and it's usually unpredictable weather and work schedule. Northern states will be hurt the worst with the new rule, fall shooting will drop off like it did in the years before the Sept 1 change.

Seems our leadership expends a great deal of effort catering to those in the "motorhome" set who travel south and need not worry about getting the targets. Nothing against them (I hope to retire and join them in a few years). But this rule does nothing to help the regular working class shooter who shoots a thousand or so of each a year, and makes up the large percentage of the ATA members.

The thing that is even more galling is that this was decided without dissension by the delegates. A unanimous vote is hard to believe on an issue that affects so many shooters, did your delegate take time to get YOUR opinion? Or did he vote the party line? Ron

15. guncase

guncase TS Member

I see lots of complaints but no solutions offered. So when do YOU want the target yr to be,,, AND WHY???? I think it just doesn't matter,, if they adjust the requirements and use two yrs targets to make it.

Gee,, maybe those girls might work harder????? I see more than 3 in there. But I'm not suppose to say that. Paul

16. bas

bas Member

Y'all just need to come out to AZ and shoot...from Jan through April - register targets about everyday of the week...obviously, I have no problem WHATSOEVER with the new target year....

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

well said Betty - Red Mountain for lunch, say Jan. 5th, 11:30ish?

18. clayslayer21

clayslayer21 TS Member

Jerry B, do you guys have a website where you post your shoot dates? If not, is there a mailing address where I could send for one?
    Thanks.

19. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Does anyone think that this move of target year dates is a precursor to moving the dates of The Grand backin 2009 or 10?

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.