1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a thought how to cut the costs for shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DB Bill, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Suppose a club included the ammunition needed to shoot in a registered event for the price they actually paid for them so instead of paying retail, even on sale, they could shoot new shells at a wholesale price. I don't know how much it would save a shooter but I'd bet that over a week-end shoot where the program included from 400 to 600 targets it would be a decent amount of money. You could, of course, continue to shoot your reloads if you wanted. The discounted ammo would be available if wanted and not mandatory.

Ammo for practice targets etc would remain at their normal price.

Just think you could shoot new loads instead of handloads, you could even move up to a premium load, you wouldn't need to throw a couple of flats into the trunk for the week-end -- and you could sell your hulls to your buddies.

I think something like this would be a "win-win" for both shooter's and club management.

2. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Think that would be a real good idea to test at a tournament.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think your over valuing the gunclubs savings on ammunition...

4. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

BigM is correct.

Adios, Dirk

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The best way to lower the cost would be to have a range set up for automatic lead shot recovery. HMB

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Go back to the Trapshoots of old where 100 Singles, 50 Handicap and 50 Doubles were the norm. The old timers just might want these shorter programs!!

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

And how long will it be before that club is out of business? Running a business requires that you make a mark up on the product you sell so that you can pay wages, light bill, mortgage, insurance, etc. With the DNC convention starting today, I wonder where these ideas come from?

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The cash outlay for the shells by the club w/no profit to offset the cost it would not work.

If you could get the Ammo Company to front the costs, that is drop ship an order and then inventory the shells after the shoot and bill the Club that may work, also may let the club sell the remaining inventory at a set price would work along with this.

A club has to have targets in the air to make money.

Personally I think they ought to do away w/200 singles altogether at all shoots including the Grand.

Handicaps are where the shooters want to shoot, handicap events are always greater.

Sponsorships and Corporate Advertising cuts costs.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. oleolliedawg

Interesting comment Cy-Kick. Unfortunately those shorter programs drew far more participants to the smaller clubs than we see today. That just might draw more new shooters into shooting ATA when the investment is far less. One of our biggest problems today is the inability to attract new ATA members while the non-ATA short events do pretty good in our area.

For those who feel the need to shoot more you can always add extra events!!

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wake up America, the new shooters are headed over to Sporting Clays. They think ATA targets are boring. HMB

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I've always thought, especially for the SMALL volunteer clubs, shells should be sold at cost ALL the time to club members.

The game is exspensive enough. This is one aspect of shooting that a club can control, especially for small clubs, looking to increase shooting and/or keeping shooters.

Time and time again I visit a club for practice and see value packs and other cheap shells being shot, with shells the club is selling (usually way over priced) sitting on shelfs (no profit if not being sold). I know I won't buy them...

12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

It would be easy to sell the ammo at cost, just mark up the targets more to make up for the loss.

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Years ago, I asked Vic Reinders why the Grand in Ohio demanded that shooters only use new shells that they actually sold? He told me that was a big money maker for them.

There are clubs that are all volunteer that purchase ammo and supplies in large quantities in order to save their club members money. The back bone of most clubs are leagues and it's shooters.

When I was shooting ATA tournaments I usually could never afford to shoot all three events and I wished that some tournaments were 50 targets events as I believe most shooters would than shoot all three events.

Let's face it, how many people do you know that do not like to shoot? It usually depends on a person's finances. I believe the days of 200 16 yard birds, and marathon shoots only pertain to a small particular group of shooters.
    Steve Balistreri

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Money is only one of the issues. Time is another factor. Trying to squeeze three events into one days shooting can be a real pain. HMB

15. oleolliedawg

Does anyone know how little the markup is on new shells and components? Clubs are lucky to make even a dollar on a box of shells and most times a volunteer must drive somewhere to buy 'em!!

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"It would be easy to sell the ammo at cost, just mark up the targets more to make up for the loss"

What is easier is don't sell ammo at all. Then there is no ordering, shipping or storing. Everyone knows they are going to a trap shoot bring your own shells.

Bob Lawless

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Does anyone know how little the markup is on new shells

Saw shells on line for $52. At two clubs I visited the same shells were $60. Getting in on a club buy I was able to get the shells for $48 and that was after the club added a surcharge and tax.

The cost of shells may not be an issue with full time shooters, but for small clubs just trying to maintain the shooters they have and trying to draw additional shooters. The money maker for small clubs is membership and throwing targets, not making money on shells.

18. oleolliedawg

Gosh, I must be in the wrong business. Estates from the wholesaler cost $50.99 last week. Add $3 sales tax-someone needs to pay it-and shells would cost the club a minimum of $54. Few people are willing to drive any distance on a volunteer basis when gas costs $3.75/gallon. So gun clubs are getting rich on shell sales at $6/box?

My suggestion for those that believe the path to gun clubs financial success are cheaper shell prices is to volunteer your services as shell pickup person-at your expense of course. Don't forget to load 'em into the cabinets, keep track of inventory and hope the cashier doesn't make any mistakes on sales!!

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't think the proponents of 'sell the ammo at cost' understand what the true costs are. There also is such a thing as the time value of money as demonstrated by the cost of carrying an inventory.

Bottom line is most clubs can't afford to give stuff away - they need a profit margin to survive. (volunteer labor or not).

If you truly want to save some bucks on ammo, make your own bulk buy and then you might understand why the club doesn't really want to do this sort of thing for free.

20. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

We pick up flats of shells for our Club when we go to our Distributor for reloading components or for a clay bird pick-up. We pay around $55 per flat including tax. We sell flats for $60 and boxes for $6.50 (no tax)(Estates, Gun Clubs, Rios, Winchester Target). I really do not think that is unreasonable considering the cost of gas today!! We do not sell the high end STS, AA, or Nitros. If you do not like our price .... Walmart is 5 minutes down the road.

YES we are a non-profit Club .... but we do have insurance/taxes/maintenance/bills that must be paid!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.