1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I noticed and read a thread about jury duty it was interesting. It brought to mind the fact that I've never been called to be on a jury. I'm a registerd voter for the past 38 years in the county and prior to that in the county I moved from. My wife has been called and served 4 or 5 times. Just wondering if any one else has dogged the bullet ( so to speak) or how many times people get called. Strange I've never been called to serve, everyone I ask has been!

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

I was called in last month on a murder trial and was booted from the jury when they asked what I did for a living. They wanted people who knew nothing about guns because the defense was going to go the accidental discharge route and it was a single action 6 shooter that was being used. I dont' think so.

It's the third time I've been called in and the third time I've been booted from a jury.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

i get called every year, when they ask me what I do for a living I say I am retired but manage a gun club on a volunteer basis. Bingo, you are excused

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I think my name stays at the top of their list at least it used to, there were about 6 years I got called twice a year, once for county and once for district, it got real old, one time the weeks were back to back

But then I got real honest, they send out jury surveys before they would send out the notice, and one of the questions was "Is this your permanent residence?"

I finally had to get honest and say no

There are times when I leave

Haven't been bothered in a few years, guess it pays to be honest

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

At some point when I'm retired I'd like to sit on a jury at least once/ Not only am I a registerd voter but have been paying property taxes since I was 21 just interesting that some people are called so often and others few if ever.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Obviously Back Ground checks or your just lucky ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have been summonsed for Jurry duty four times but only sat on a jurry once. Fairly simple meth trafficing case - took all of 10 minutes of deliberation.

I don't know why some folks try to get out of serving. I think it is the very least we can do. We should take the job on when called and do our very best at it - you never know when you might just be the defendant.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Seem like every other year I get notice that I'm on the jury pool list for the district court, got summoned to report for selection three times and served on jurys twice. I see jury duty as just one of the responsibilities of citizenship in this country, if I were ever charged with a crime I'd like to think that they could summon up a dozen good people to sit in judgement of ME. I DO think tho' that on some of these high profile cases that drag on for weeks or even months that it'd be hard to seat a jury of your peers, ........I can't think of any of my "peers" that could afford to take off that much time away from their ranches, farms and buisinesses. I can't imagine a case where the evidence can't be presented and arguments made in a couple of days, I'm thinking it's the judges fault if he lets the lawyers screw around any longer than that.

9. Bill T

Bill T Active Member

I get them from time to time. I just throw them in the trash. They wouldn't want me anyway. I called once and told them I couldn't attend because I worked nights. He, (Hispanic sounding male), told me that was not a valid excuse to be removed from jury duty. I then told him I would vote guilty on the basis of race. He hung up on me.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Rick Barker,

That's just the defense lawyer that wants "compassionate" jurors, the prosecuter would rather they be not so much. The judge just wants jurors who'll stay awake.

11. willing

willing Member

I was called for duty on the first trial of the TEFLON DON in NYC. The judge asked if there was any reason I couldn't serve and I said I was hard of hearing. He excuded me, thank God.

Bill

12. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I was called for the local city court. When they called me 2 days befor I was supposed to report it was to tell me I had been excused for 1 year due to -- they didn't have a jury trial coming up. However I did learn, that in Michigan, you get called from drivers license records not voter records, the court told me that fact.

Chuck

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem serving my fair share, but I was getting hammered with them the one when I had county one week and district the next was killing me, I own an HVAC business and that time was in the heat of summer, I ended up sitting in the courthouse every day and working all night

14. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

I always dread jury duty. Every time I get summoned, it is a chance my employer will discover they can do the job without me. PG

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I sat on a jury once for a "drive-by shooting". we couldn't figure out how to convict both the vic and the perp. Latin Kings v. the Vice lords.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Bill (willing),

Last jury I served on I told the judge I was hard of hearing so he seated me in the front row on the end right next to the witness box. lol

John

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I got called up once and was asked to serve on 4 diff trails. The first 3 they didn't want me because of the fact I had taken so many people (poachers) to court. In other words I knew to much on how things work and that I win my cases. The 4th case I did serve.

Two guys in a car. Both up front, the passanger went out the window to his waist, his left arm holding him in place and the right hand he had balled up. The drive then moved the car close to the edge of the right side of the road. He then hit with his fist a lady riding her bike. She went over the handle bars and onto her back. Hurt her shoulder, back and arm. 9 said guilty and 3 were bleeding heart morons. OH he didn't mean to. Didn't mean to my ass. It all ended up as a hung jury.

I was sent paper work years later but never called up.

18. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Last time I was called, I wore my NRA LIFE MEMBER shirt, wasnt even asked a question, was excused. Just upgraded to Endowment Member, going on April 4th, will see if they excuse me again. California uses drivers license for the roll call, excused 3 years if picked for a jury...LarryB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap to appear for jury duty