1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jury Duty Elimination

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I've been called to jury duty a few times, but never selected to be on a jury. I have to spend a day waiting only to be sent home. I think it has something to do with the fact that my brother-in-law is an attorney, his wife is a nurse, I have many friends who are nurses or doctors, several friends who are in law enforcement, and so on. These seem to make me undesirable as a juror.

Most of us, given time, accumulate those people in our lives. To use friendship or family relation as a reason to exclude a juror seems discriminatory. It states that because my wife's brother is an attorney, or that I have dinner with the sheriff, I'll be a poor juror.

If my relationships exclude me from duty I presume that having no family or friends increases the chances for selection.

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Jury duty is a luck of the draw, it's only when your name has been selected in the court room that you will or not be selected.
    The prosecutor or the defence lawyer can ask you questions, then except or deny you.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The accused has a right to an impartial jury, it's the duty of the court to reject any prospective jurors who might not be impartial. I'm not saying that YOU couldn't be impartial in spite of your relationships but rather there's a large pool to draw from, most of whom don't have those relationships. FWIW I've served on juries twice, it's an interesting experience. The last time I told the judge that I'm so darn deaf that I'm afraid I might have trouble hearing all the testimony so he seated me right up front left side of the jury box barely an arms length away from the witness chair, lol.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

I was selected for jury duty. As we sat for what seemed like hiurs for the trial to start I made the comment--"I wish they would hurry up and let us take a look at the guilty SOB"----The judge overheard my comment. Got excused from that jury and have never been called again.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I don't believe in the jury system. Would you want to judged by 12 people who are not smart enough to beat jury duty.

Phil Berkowitz

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Believe it or not..I've only been notified of jury duty one time in my entire 52yrs...and that one time was to tell me to be available for a specific period but then was never required to show..I must be undesirable too....maybe its my "Fry em all...let God Sortem out!" t-shirt

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Last time I got called....I made it all the way into the box. The defense asked the guy in front of me "what would you think about the defendant not testifying in his own defense?"

The guy made some comment about that was Ok...it was his right not to testify....etc etc.

I guess I smirked pretty hard (don't play much poker) and the defense pounced on me with "Mr. Pokorny, you seem to have an opinion about that. what would you think if he didn't testify?"

I pointed at the prosecuter and said "he doesn't want to testify because he won't want to answer all the questions he (the prosecuter) is going ask him on cross."

Oddly, I got to go home right after that. The prosecuter had a sad grin on his face as I left...I think he would have been happy to have me on the jury.

8. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

635G Has a good point. I was on a jury once that sent a guy up for drug sales and illegal gun possession.. I didnt want to get off of that one.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

We were being interviewed for jury duty on a drunk driving case and the guy in front of me stated that he didn't think anyone should be allowed to drink at any time and anyone that does should be thrown in jail....the judge looked at him and said that he could tell he was reasonable man capable of an impartial decision and he wasn't getting off jury duty. That wiped the smirk right off his face. lol

Anyone who thinks they are above jury duty should be stripped of all their constitutional rights, no exceptions!!

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Jury duty is great I think everybody should have to do it at least once in their lifetime

That being said and the point that it's supposed to be a random thing, for about 5-6 years in a row I got called twice a year, once for county and once for district every year.

They always sent out a questionnaire before I would get a summons, and there was no way to get out of it for me unless I lied, I own my own business and that is no excuse but each day I sat there was costing me, so the next time I got the questionnaire I read it real closely and one question was is this your permanent address, I checked no because sometimes I am on the road so I wasn't lying, I haven't been called for about 5 yrs

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have only been on a jury one time and was only called to serve one time. I think it is just a matter of chance - there a lot more good guys than bad guys so odds are a person shouldn't pull jury duty more than once or twice in their life.

That being said, I wouldn't try to get out of it, and I think it is the least I can do to support the judicial system. Actually kind of interesting to learn more about the law and how it appies to specific circumstances.

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

In Florida if you're over 70yo you can be permenently excused from jury duty.

Eric

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

the couple of times I had a chance to be in the court room

they where excusing anyone that owned a firearm.

Those excused but did not own a firearm got to leave as soon as they checked back in at the jury duty desk

We that owned firearms had to sit there until almost quiting time.

My dad was also a cop here,

One time When Asked if I knew the defendent, and I did not, it got tense in there for awhile, turned out my dad had arrestted the clown many years earlier.

Since I am named after my dad, they where wanting to say I was lying, but I did not know the clown, another day of sitting around the court house watching everyone else go home until quiting time!

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've been on several juries and I gladly served.

I consider it as "doing my civic duty".

I always enjoyed it and wished I had pursued something along those lines of law enforcement or a lawyer when I was younger.

But alas, it is to late to start now.

Hauxfan!

15. willing

willing Member

I was once called for the trial of the "Teflon Don" in NYC. The judge himself did yhe questioning and asked me if I had any reasons not to serve on this jury. I told him that I was hard of hearing and he immediately released me since much of the evidence was wiretaps. I thought I was pretty lucky.

Bill

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Best thing to do is when queried by the Judge:

Advise him/her that you're just plum tickled to be there, let's bring that guilty sum-bitch into the courtroom, give 'em a fair trial and then let's take 'em out back and hang 'em...

You'll get picked everytime!!

Curt

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Just tell them, If the cops arrested him, he's got to be guilty.

18. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I always get a haircut, and wear a suit and tie with an NRA Life Member pin in the lapel. If I make it to the interview, the defense attorney usually excuses me. That being said, I've served on several juries and I enjoyed the process. It's our civic duty

19. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

An attorney once asked me, Do you know of anyone who was ever prosecuted for not obeying a jury summons? In NY they are sent by first class mail. While I generally believe in one doing their civic duty, I also believe there are many folks called to jury duty that are fixed income/out of work and could use the small fee they pay.

20. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm also almost deaf and know all too well how much I miss when trying to understand speech, I sure don't want anybody in my situation on a jury for me if I ever needed a jury trial. Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jury duty trap