1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Junior Seau

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rick Barker, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Do you see football being banned or relagated to a non contact sport with all this reporting and emphasis on concussions and recent deaths of past football players?

I wonder if there is more to the issue like living in the spotlight, adulation and glory, plus the millions made for a decade or two, then losing all that after age factor pops up??

How many are unable to cope with the loss of the fans, attention, cheers and the money?
  2. timberfaller

timberfaller Active Member

How many who wore just a leather cap, committed suicide back in the day???

WE are having a rash of suicides around here where I live, none are connected to "concussions".

Have you seen and heard all the side effects of most of the drugs being pebbled on TV????

Wealth and Fame don't promise anyone that their life is going to be Happy or without trials!!

We always trying, lately, to come up with an "excuse" as to why someone of fame and wealth kills themselves. We believe their status makes them so HAPPY!

We've had teenagers here kill themselves because they broke up with a girl friend, senior citizens doing it because they are tired of life or have lost everything they worked for.

All they get is a blip in the newspaper, they were no different then Seau, just not famous.
  3. Setterman

Setterman Active Member

It's always someone else's fault.
  4. spritc

spritc Active Member

Mrs. Keet will blame the gun!
  5. timberfaller

timberfaller Active Member

Who's going to blame Bush??
  6. dhip

dhip Active Member

I just believe it's in the numbers.More people now so the percentage of incidents are naturally going up along with everything else.Less people,less suicides,more people,more suicides,goes for all bad things that happen,crime,successes,failures,all just a numbers and percentage game.

Doug H.
  7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

ROID RAGE!
  8. tudurgs

tudurgs TS Member

"More people now so the percentage of incidents are naturally going up along with everything else."
    ???Huh???
  9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

This is not uncommon from steriod usage. I loved watching him play at USC. Fred
  10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thousands of people in this country commit suicide each month. Let's not get carried away over one specific case about which we actually know very little.

-Gary
  11. Rick Barker

Seau was an awesome player and one we respected whenever the Broncos played the Chargers.

Sad loss, but with all this talk, I don't doubt "dogooders" will try to change the game to take all the risk out of it.
  12. X2 fan

X2 fan Member

His death also makes the eighth player from San Diego's lone Super Bowl team to die, all before the age of 45.
    Cursed?

Tim
  13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

How can "we" be so forensic and sure about anything re. this player without knowing a more detailed life history other than he was a gifted football player and was involved in some very physical plays on the field.

If mere concussions/crashes per se caused long problems and a correlation with suicide, would not statistics re. suicide be higher among race ar drivers, Acapulco Cliff divers (actually, that occupation can cause seilzure actilvity and the participants have earned to retire early as told to me by a diver), circus performers, high performance jet pilots that face high g loads etc.

Until an objective history is taken and pathology, post mortem is analyzed, we are left only with speculation.
  14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

But that's no fun Chango2. Taking away speculation from this bunch is cruel and very unusual!

I'll say this. Anyone who commits suicide is a narcissistic A-hole coward. What other type would leave the mess and inflict the scars on their loved ones. Family terrorism is what it is.

Self sacrifice for the sake of a loved one or comrade in arms is the polar opposite.

If he shot himself, screw him, just like the rest of the cowards who check out at the expense of those of us who remain.

Guy Babin
  15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I with you on this one Guy

D.P.Reynolds
  16. schockstrap

schockstrap Member

When they played with leather helmets there was a pretty staggering number of deaths on the field of play... Granted, many of those were the result of uncontrolled fist fights as opposed to an actual play. Regardless, it took the President of the US (Teddy Roosevelt) threatening a ban on the game before anyone addressed the issue in the game itself.

I'm guessing most of those commenting never played the game of football at a high level... Football is a brutal game. I don't think it matters if you suffer a severe injury on the field or not -- the wear and tear on your body changes you forever. I played for 8 years (4 yrs. high school, 4 yrs. college), and I have to say that my knees were pretty much shot after that with no serious injury. You get so used to pain that it takes a pretty traumatic event before you feel anything, especially during a game when your adrenaline kicks in. I'm sure I played a couple of times when I shouldn't have because I can clearly remember gettng into my stance and seeing the little birdies flying around my head. To be honest, all of this talk of concussions and the risk of multiple injuries scares me to death. I haven't played football in more than 15 years yet to this day I still don't notice most cuts and bruises to my hands, arms, or legs until my wife or one of my kids points them out to me... My brain learned to dismiss that type of pain a little too much.

I played at a Div III school in college, and even there I can tell you the level and speed of play was worlds beyond high school football. I'm not sure how guys can manage to play for 20 years in the NFL (and really most play less than 5). It is pretty clear, though, that the life expectancy of NFL players is much lower than the national average. I'm not aware of any studies on the life span of D-I college players, but a disturbing number of them also die at a young age. I think this is a bigger issue than most realize.

--Dan
  17. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

gdbabin,

I don't totally disagree with your views about suicide, and I'm neither defending Junior Seau's actions nor second-guessing his motivations; however, I do submit that suicide is an extremely complex issue that is often understood better from a case-by-case perspective. Thanks.

LA
  18. Rick Barker

Well how many think that the game of football will go away forever, after some of these concussion lawsuits start being awarded and causing owners and insurance companies to shut it down?

I heard today there hundreds of suits in filing and one class action has over 1000 former NFL players in it.

I am already unhappy with the 1000.00 per ticket, per season my tickets cost.

In the case of Seau, I think he very well gave it up because the loss of fraternity.
  19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Knowing a few dear to me who have..and for different reasons,...depression etc....those feelings that cause a person to do such things whether physical or mental are truely sad..feel sorry for those who suffered and took the only way out they thought to escape...but learn the signs and then resolve to not ignore them and get help for those you love who need it so they don't reach that point too...even if they resist and you think they'll hate you for it....The world we live in can overwhelm the best of us
  20. funski

funski Member

gdbabin

YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.