1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Junior school vacation shoot - need some tips

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by xb2dr, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xb2dr

xb2dr TS Member

Hi all,

Next Friday we are having about 20 kids from the local area coming up to our club for an introduction into clay target shooting. It's part of the local council's Summer school holidays/vacation program (I'm in Australia). The kids will be aged from 12 to 17. Most of them, if not all, will never have fired a shotgun before. We plan to set the trap on fixed straightaways and will probably get them to shoot off 11 metres. 10 shots single barrel and then once they have all been through we will set the trap to oscillate and let them have another 10 shots. Each kid will have a club member behind them in control of the ammunition and to ensure the safety of the event.

What I need is some advice from those who may have done this sort of thing before. I don't want these kids to end the day with a sore shoulder, bleeding cheek and gunshy. We only have access to 12g guns but we do have some low recoil subsonic shells for them to shoot.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Brett.

2. missemucho

missemucho Member

If you have access to Remington 1100's I'd use those as much as possible. Kids seem to be able to pick them up and shoot them well. Don't use the promo loads (3 dram) if you can avoid it--2 3/4 dram 1 ouncers work very well. Also don't forget to check each shooter for eye dominance; women shooters especially have a tendancy to left eye dominance even if they're right handed.
    John

3. xb2dr

xb2dr TS Member

Good idea - Will check for eye dominance. My wife is left eye dominant but right handed also.

Good idea about the auto but unfortunately, here in Australia, we haven't been able to use autos for 10 years. The government 'bought' them from us to make the country safer... Guns being used will be under & overs. Miroku's, Berettas, and maybe a couple of 101's. My wife's 101 is a little shorter in the stock so it may suit the smaller kids better. I know what they say about 101's kicking but I don't believe they kick any harder than any other U/O. Will get the kids to wear vests with some padding in the shoulders. Will instruct them on mounting the gun and keeping their head down on the stock with some cheek on the comb. There's nothing we won't be telling them that we don't tell adults that come to shoot for the first time but adults tend to take a bruise on the cheek as a lesson to keep their head down on the gun and a sore shoulder as a lesson to keep the gun mounted firm - when they come back the next time they work it all out. I don't know if we will get that second chance if the kids go home and tell Mum & Dad that the guns hurt, they missed all their targets and because of that they hate shooting.

Brett.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.