1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

June 9th, 1973, Greatest race I ever saw

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    On June 9th, 1973 I was sitting in a bar with a few of my Army buddies in Virginia beach VA, watching Secretariat run the greatest race ever run by a horse.

He won the triple crown of horse racing by 31 lengths. There were men and women watching this race with tears streaming down their cheeks. In my opinion, this was the greatest sporting event I ever saw.

Where any of you actually at the Belmont that day? Where did you see this race?

Steve Balistreri

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Take another look on U-Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoFquax2F-k

It is also a good movie. Quite a horse.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I remember wanting to watch the race....but I was kinda busy getting married to my sweetheart right about post time...heard the result on the radio as we were headed for the USA on our honeymoon...and yes, were still married...

4. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Big Heap

Thanks for the video, kind of makes ya chokey. What a Horse!

5. senior smoke

Big Heap:
    Thanks for posting the video. I read that the reason Secretariat ran so much faster than most other horses, his autopsy showed that his heart was huge in comparison to other horses. A normal horses heart weigh's roughly 8 lbs, as his weighed 22 lb. Secretariat's win at the Belmont stakes was 6 seconds faster then the winner on Saturday.
    Steve

6. wlk

wlk Member

Scoffield Brks, HI. Don't remember if we got to see it Live, as most television ran a week behind. Probably the Best performance by an athelete ever.

7. senior smoke

Wlk:
    You are correct with your statement, as most people in the racing industry did in deed consider Secretariat a great athlete.
    Steve

8. wlk

wlk Member

Steve, as I recall the first 2 races were somewhat close. it was like now the most difficult race, The Belmont, half way thru, it was like, now take this, case closed. Like the Sport of Kings and Fine Shotguns....Wayne

9. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I remember watching it on TV and I was only 13 years old then.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.