1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jumping the Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by doublea, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doublea

doublea Member

Today while shooting a league round I shot a bird that I had not called for. I was ready, with my shotgun mounted, I just hadn't called for the bird. I shot it and went on to shoot a 25. Is is acceptable to shot a bird that has been released early? Adam

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Easy-- You shot it, you bought it. If you missed it was a lost bird.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yep, unless you shot out of turn.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That's a very bad habit to get yourself into guy! Your key to action is (YOU)(SEEING) your targets leave the trap at your call only!! Once established, ingrained, bad habits are tougher to break than prevent in the first place!

Even though you smoked the target and that was a good thing, trap shooting is about as much of perfection as one can muster! Creating bad habits will cost you somewhere down the road, don't allow that to happen to you guy! Set your call standards higher, that's why we now have voice releases! Like good music, the key is C see?

Hap

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are there any ATA rules about shooting out of turn, meaning penalties?
    Don't shoot ATA

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dave- You must shoot the target over if you shoot out of turn. You should really start shooting ATA trap.

Pat Ireland

7. nagantino

nagantino TS Member

The referee should have immediatley called "no bird", and made you take it again. No question. A competitor cannot decide which birds to shoot and or not. Igf you had straightened and lets say won the prize, all sorts of havoc would ensue from your fellow squad members. Out of turn, isa simple mistake and must be taken again. I did it last week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.