1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jumping at the Birds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hilton55, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

I recently started shooting Trap again after a 20 year lay-off and it's great to be back! I got a wall chart from Terry Nelson a few weeks ago, use it every day and it's helping me a lot. I only have about 15 rounds under my belt so far and the scores are coming up fast.

When I was shooting today, one of the veteran shooters told me that I was jumping the birds. He said that my overall swing is good but that I jerk the gun when I first start to swing onto the bird. I'm probably doing this because I'm anxious to get on the bird quickly and get it broken.

Anybody have some tips on how to establish a smooth start to my swing? Thanks!

John

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Dicipline, practice and discipline

Do not move the gun until you have a firm eye lock on the front edge of the target. If you find yourself chasing a streak you did not have that eye lock. Practice the eye work without a gun by standing somewhere behind a squad and following their targets with your eyes from the house to their shot

A target moving at 66 ft/sec can not hope to outrun a load of shot moving at 1100 ft/sec.

MK

3. canada

canada Member

A way to confirm that you are not moving before you see it is have someone turn off the button periodically when it is your turn to shoot. It will be obvious whether you are moving before you see the bird. If you are, you should consciously try not to move, and keep having him not pull you a bird until you can hold the gun still.

As far as smoothing out your swing, if you're holding on the house, try holding a higher gun, maybe just under a foot over the house. The bird may not appear to be moving as fast.

Pat Lamont

4. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi John.

I just finished a busy week of Deer Hunting can we talk next week?

Terry.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Britt Robinson will stand behind you at his clinics and poke you and tell you "don't do that" if you move the gun before the target appears...you get the message pretty quick....

6. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Look out a few yards beyond the traphouse-WAIT until you get a good look at the bird ,then go get it.Sometimes looking further out than you are used to helps. You can still go get it fast.Just remember to SWING not poke.

7. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

go practice and have someone hand pull for you, but instead of you calling for the target, your friend will throw when they want to. it will help your speedy mind and improve your ability to focus.

8. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

Thanks for the great advice! I think that you guys have hit the nail on the head. In my rush to get gun to target, I'm not really locking on the bird before moving the gun. I'm seeing whether it's a right, left or straightaway and then moving before I really see the leading edge of the bird. The good thing is that I haven't had much time yet to make bad habits permanent.

Sorry Terry, I messed your name up! It's Terry Jordan, not Nelson, and your wall chart is great!

John

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

One simple thing you can do to convince yourself you have plenty of time is, during a practice round, call for the bird with your eyes closed. Then open your eyes and shoot the bird. Anyone who tries this will have a pleasant surprise.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.