1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jumping at birds / soft focus

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Claymuncher, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I have been reading a lot on "soft focus" so I thought I would add my Saturday morning 2cents on focus. I read a lot of shooters that say "they see the target and jump at it"...... If I am missing birds I am jumping at the target, before I am "seeing" it, not focused on it. It seems to me that half the problem is not focus but jumping at the bird before you are seeing where it is going. How can you focus on it if you do not see it. It is a three step operation. "Notice" the bird coming out of the house, start moving the gun in that direction, your eye or eyes having found it can then focus on it, and only then "smoothly" go get it. The top shooters do not always focus perfectly on every bird as soon as it breaks out one foot above the house. If you notice their is nothing jumpy about a top shooter. They are smooth. My thoughts are it does not matter where you actually end up focusing on the bird as long as you eventually do. Worrying about a window to focus in will only give you reasons to think and thinking will ruin you. Sure find your comfortable focus zone above the house but to not dwell on the "focus" worry about finding the bird first and then focus on it. If you are trying to shoot them out of the house and missing you are not allowing your eyes to find the birds direction let alone focusing on it. How many times do you hear yourself say "I couldn't find that one"? Find it and then focus on it but it does not matter where you shoot it as long as you are focused on it first. So what if it gets out their a ways. In time the birds will come to you. Find it, focus on it and make the shot but it does not matter where you break it. """The worst thing a shooter can do is rely on timing""" Get smooth is the words to shoot by. Now if I can only make myself do it 100 times in a role.

ClayMuncher

2. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Wow : 140 reads and not one reply, I am not sure if that is good or bad? It has probably been hashed over to many times already?

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

All it means is that you are beyond help. Take your medicine and go to bed. Pleasant dreams. HMB

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

CM,
    You're right, you can't hit what you can't see (clearly), but many shooters worry more about being stylish than anythig else. To many, shooting fast is cool, their problem arises when their eyes can't focus fast as a number of top shooters their trying to emulate. Some are gifted with fast focusing eyes and quick reflexes, most aren't. I was once given sage advice by a AAA/27 yarder; "shooting is an exercise in Patience" meaning, don't rush, look and see, then move smoothly to your target. It's the old slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Making the shot is what counts, not how fast you made it.

The fact remains we all see and focus on the target differently. It's our job to learn good basics and repeat them over and over, looking for and seeing a clear target is one of those basics, not trying to be stylish.

Surfer

5. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

A little advice given to me from Leo, "Spend a little time with the target."
    That's good advice. Just spend a weeeeee bit more time on focus.

Sharing a little wisdom,
    Gunnerx11

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.