1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Judge: Teen can't wear gun T-shirt to school

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Judge: Teen can't wear gun T-shirt to school

LANCASTER, Pa. (AP) - A federal judge sided with a southcentral Pennsylvania school district in a dispute over whether a high school student should have been barred from wearing a T-shirt with images of guns on it.

"Students have no constitutional right to promote violence in our public schools," U.S. District Judge James Knoll Gardner in Allentown wrote in an opinion issued Tuesday.

Donald Miller III, now a 15-year-old sophomore at Penn Manor High School in Millersville, was given detention in December after he defied an assistant principal's order to turn the shirt inside-out. Images of two guns were printed on the shirt, along with phrases including, "United States Terrorist Hunting Permit No Bag Limit."

Miller's parents sued the school district earlier this year, arguing that his freedom of speech was violated. The shirt, a gift from an uncle who is stationed in Iraq, was intended to be a patriotic show of support for the troops, they argued.

Gardner disagreed and noted that schools have been forced to become increasingly vigilant about potential warning signs of violence following massacres at such places as Columbine High School in Colorado, Virginia Tech, and an Amish school in Nickel Mines.

"There is no constitutionally protected political message contained in Donald's shirt but there is a message of use of force, violence and violation of law in the form of illegal vigilante behavior," Gardner wrote.

A lawyer for Miller's parents, Leonard G. Brown III, was out of town and could not be immediately reached for comment Friday.

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

So Gardner is saying our troops are guilty of violence and violation of law in the form of illegal vigilante behavior ????????????

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, that's a bit different than a Perazzi/K-gun type t-shirt!!

I really can't find much to argue with that Judges decision.....

Now, if it was a t-shirt that said something like "America's Armed Forces, Preserving Freedom" rather than "Kill 'em all, Let God sort them out" I'd be fighting mad over it....

JC

Michigan

4. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

BigM definitely hit the nail on the head. On a few occasions I have worn a Browning shirt to school, no issues what so ever. (Keep in mind I am in a suburb of Chicago) This shirt however would definitely be put into question. To me is doesn't sound like it was the guns on the shirt that caused the issue, it was definitely the message.
    -Trappy

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    But wearing gang appearal is perfectly OK.

6. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Brian, actually, no. It's not ok, or tolerated at all anywhere. Where did you possibly come up with that?
    -Trappy

7. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I am a high school soccer coach. But I am not a teacher at the school. I was told one day that my Rusty Wallace jacket was in appropriate for students. And I should not be wearing it. The jacket had a huge number 2, and his autograph, on it and a little Miller beer logo on the front. Whoops, my bad. I didnt know. Think the principal was an Earnhart fan truth be known.

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

It is really amazing what liberal pukes do in the name of political correctness! I guess the scum sucking principal and the Judge love terrorist! My guess is in the same school that shirts with crap about the cop killer Malcom X would be JUST FINE! ---God I hate LIBERALS!!!!!!

9. Sideline

Sideline TS Member

My daughter was send home to change her t-shirt because the principle at her school said that any graphic of a weapon was against the school dress code. The t-shirt was her Scholastic Clay Targets shirt, with the gun in the logo...
    I was not pleased!

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I can only hope that liberal political correct creeps like that who stomp on someones right of speech in order to promote their own twisted liberal agenda, rot to death from lung cancer and (NO) that is NOT metaforic!

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I worked in the schools before I retired. I once wore a "Magnum Cum Laude" sweatshirt to a school. It was a Smith and Wesson novelty, well made sweatshirt, btw. Still have it and it's in great shape after ten plus years. The principal asked about it; she said: "Don't they make rifles?" I said, ah..."my aunty brought this back to me; some distant relatives work in the academy back there in New England."...The principal said: "Oh, I see..." End of problem.

BTW, I consider myself a moderate, if that matters, but I am tired of self-righteous policing in the schools...a policing that can border on the absurd and could potentially become dangerous.

12. pdq

pdq Member

This and other problems would be avoided if schools went back to the idea of a school uniform. Uniform, as in everyone wears the same thing, no one trying to make a fashion statement, a political statement, a beauty statement, a personal statement, or any other type of statement.

Might even leave time for learning.

Pete

13. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"Now, if it was a t-shirt that said something like "America's Armed Forces, Preserving Freedom" rather than "Kill 'em all, Let God sort them out" I'd be fighting mad over it.... "
    Amen.

14. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

in college I had a sweatshirt that use to enrage a few Professors’…
    on the front was

NATIONAL GUARD 4

KENT STATE 0

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I have been doing some restoration work at my old high school{Mason contractor}, The girls now wear short shorts and mini skirts, pajamas and sweats of all types. Some of the boys looked like hobos, others looked like satans deciples all in black. But you can't wear a Remighton shirt.

I checked my old class pictures on the wall and we did look kinda goofy with shoulder length hair and bell bottoms.

16. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

We had a similar problem in Sacramento, CA. The NRA got involved and the school after some negotiations the school was require to print a retraction and letter of apology to the the student and his parents. All was pringed in the local news media. - Jim

17. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

If the shirt was all he had to wear(which I dought)it is ok. My guess, and it's pure educated conjecture based on having reared 2 teenage boys, the kid wore it to cause an issue.
    In this day and time it could have been a planned event from the git go by the family to get some free money from suing, ya just never know anymore.

I guess I come from way old school, never sue for gain and if suing is the last resort(after both parties actually talk it over) sue for restitution only.

I have a nice leather belt that has 8 or 9 spent brass Winchester shell heads on it, when I fly,I would not think of wearing the belt throught the TSA security area for fear one or two of them would loose their minds and take my belt or arrest me under some contrived BS. I check it through in the checked bag, so far so good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.