1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Jordan Wall Chart

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KennyRay, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

After talking with friends who have and swear by Terry's wall chart, I purchased one a few months ago. I've known Terry for a few years, enjoy talking with him at the shoots, but had no intention of spending the money for a picture of a traphouse & targets. Nothing against the chart idea . . . I'm just cheap.

I've always been a fast shooter, snapping quickly to the target and usually hit targets pretty hard. The problem is that I never get the numbers, making stupid mistakes and coming out of the gun anticipating the recoil. I do this even when dryfiring at the "lets see one" target called for by the lead-off shooter.

I've only had a chance to use the chart about 10 times and have just built up to doing about 100 shots.

I called Terry about a week ago because I had some questions, especially about the doubles practice. I also wanted to just chat to see how he was feeling and when I might see him shooting again. He answered all my questions and gave me additional things to think about when dry-firing and in real action.

I just shot three days in the pouring rain at the Missouri State Shoot and I'm very pleased with my performance. I didn't shoot winning scores but afterall, I've only practiced on the chart about 10 times. I don't know if its too soon to credit Terry's chart but I've been shooting from long yardage for many years and this was the first time I had good control much of the time. Only a few times did I return to a snap shot. Mostly, I made the smoothest move to the target I've ever made, knowing that I could break anything coming out of the house. I hit the majority of targets real hard from the 26yd. mark. Just took a reduction. I'm still struggling with my singles, breaking 94/95 in the Singles Championship but my doubles came up 47/47=94 in the rain, and both my handicaps were in the 90's, 91 and 94 in the Handicap Championship (98 was high).

I sure hope it wasn't the chart that helped smooth my swing and gain alot of needed control because if it was . . . I'm pretty upset with myself for not spending the money years earlier. I am more happy with my controlled move to the target than the scores. It felt really good not being afraid of hard right & left angles. They came out, I saw them, I powered to the target and watched it smoke.

Thanks Terry for your help. I also need to thank Dave Monahan for convincing me to spend the money because the Wall Chart worked for him and his wife.

I'm a skeptic so I'll reserve judgement on it, but, something gave me a controlled good move to the target and I don't think it was starting the day with a good breakfast.

Kenny Ray Estes
    Pittsgrove, NJ

2. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Kenny.

I followed the scores and your scores in Missouri each day you shot. They were very good scores in every event in that kind of weather, very consistent.

Dave sent me your e-mail and phone numbers I will check in with you. The chart can change a person that has real talent that fast if you don't have any serious other problems.

I had lots of chart users tell me that they struggled all of their life and were almost mad that is was that easy to fix their problem. Many of these shooters had taken lessons, were told to pick the gun up daily but never got into a regular workout routine.

You can't think your way better, working out with the gun regularly always gets results. It takes awhile but an extra 1000 moves really starts to get you smooth and builds good timing on your move to the target.

Keep working out and you will get true confidence in your ability and the wins will come.

Thanks.

Terry.

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Kenny...You know it was Terry's chart that did it,......and I know that I can really smooth out your moves with a little Crown.......

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Kenny can I come to your house and practice on your wall chart? I won't bring the 90-T as I just know you won't let me leave with it!

5. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

I've made up my mind to work more with the chart as my State Shoot is coming up in a few weeks. Wish I had been using the chart since last year. I am expecting better scores of myself now. Still amazed at how smooth I was all three days of shooting.

Bill, good to hear from you buddy. I agree with you it had to be Terrys' chart that smoothed me out . . . . but I recall how smooth I was sitting in your easy chair, sampling your "Crown Sighting In Oil." Truly appreciate the hospitality extended to me and my wife during my visit to Hamilton Gun Club. You take care of youself and we'll meet again soon.

Bob, you're welcome to come practice on my chart. It's on the back porch. I like the 19' spot for 27 yards but you can see the targets much better when you're only 10' away for 16 yards. I practice at different distances just like coach Terry advised me to do. I think I'm finally over the 90-T you own and I wanted all those years. I'm happy with my current shoot'n iron and don't think I'll be changing up in the near future. So, you're safe to bring you Ol Betsy and can take it home with you.

Thanks again Terry and you were right. The confidence improves when you realize you are starting to do things correctly.

Kenny Ray

6. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Hey KR Old Buddy....

I TOLD YOU SO !!!!!

Your buddy, Dave in SC

PS: Great Job on your performance under less than ideal conditions !!!

7. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Seeing is believing...

FRedmon

8. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Best spent $$ in trapshooting. YOu can spend a lot more and not get near the results. Buy one and use it!!!!!

9. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Another e-mail from a recent customer.

I hung my chart up yesterday and got out the trap gun. I made one very
    quick discovery. If my eyes are with the gun when I swing to the bird I
    go right by it! I have shot skeet for over 40 years and trap now for
    about five months and although I always knew that the eyes should follow
    the target first I have never had such a graphic illustration of it.

Most of my misses at trap are "swing by" misses, shooting in front or
    over the target and this is how that happens--my eyes are stuck with the
    barrel/bead on such an attempt and the result is "Lost!" The chart was
    worth every penny just for this.

Just as important as the eye/barrel separation was something in your
    instructions: the blocking word. I have not ever heard that before. I
    read that Saturday evening and then Sunday morning we had a little 50
    target shoot at our club. I broke 47x50 and won Class B First Place, my
    best trap score ever and between shots keep repeating to myself "Lock,
    lock, lock,....." for "Lock your eyes on the target"

10. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I just got my large wall chart in the mail. Thanks Terry! Now to save me the trouble of actually reading the instructions (I promice that I will later...), how high off the floor should the lower edge be? I'll get it mounted and hung, then get started using it soon.
    Thanks again;
    dju

11. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi David.

Open the package up the directions are on the masking tape on the actual chart. Put the very top edge at about 78" from the floor. I am about 6'4" that is where it looks good to me you can vary that a bit.

Terry.

12. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Another happy customer that deserves Congratulations on a fine score!

Hey Terry.

It certainly should be said that your wall Chart didn't let me down in fact the time spent pre shoot, and your expert advice regarding concentration collectively got me the SV. Handicap Championship at the Empire Grand in Cicero NY. As you know I was really troubled, floundering going into this shoot. Your Chart is worth all the effort & time a shooter spends on it and it's so easy.

Regards.

Steve LeRoy

13. shotgunpeople

Steve,

Congratulations !!!

I'm sure glad I talked you into something that helped me so much also.

I won't tell you that: "I told you so".

Keep it up, and we will see you next month up north.

Dave in SC

14. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

15. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I will be at the Buckeye Classic.

Terry.

16. shotgunpeople

Congratulations Kenny Ray on winning the Class A HAA, and Class A HOA at the New Jersey State shoot this past weekend.

4 trophies total had to be a great feeling...

Wall Chart or Morning Breakfast ???

My bet is the Chart, and some dedicated work to improve yourself.

Way to go buddy, Dave in SC

17. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Thanks Dave, I really had a good shoot. Now as a skeptic, I still insist that it just cannot be that darned "wall chart" picture I have hanging on my back porch. Can't imagine me being dumb enough to stand in front of a piece of vinyl with a picture of a trap house and a few targets in the air, dry-firing at them 100 - 175 times a day.

Seriously, the chart has somehow returned my desire to shoot better and has ablsolutely provided some much needed control of when to shoot. I'm not as smooth as I was in the handicap events at the Missouri State Shoot, but I have more (most of the time) than I've ever had before.

A few weeks ago at the Atlantic Indians shoot I shot a top score of 96 in the last Singles event in the fog & rain for a nice trophy. I also could not believe it when I was told that I broke more targets that weekend than any other shooter. The HOA trophy went to a member as I was not eligible (yet). Still felt good to be breaking a lot of targets at traps that are notoriously tough to shoot over.

I'm not sure where my 98 in a preliminary doubles event at my State shoot came from but I had pretty good control on a windy day breaking 49-49 and when I score higher than my squadmate Bob Malmstedt, I'm a happy shooter.

I knew I was in a close race for the HOA (1000 targets) and with one event left, I was down 3 targets over the highest Class A shooter. I was fortunate to win the HOA trophy even after missing 5 on my last trap in the Handicap championship when my triggers fetched up and I had to change receivers. Still broke 90 in the wind and was proud when I knocked the back off a target that came out of the house very low only to take a dive after that. I powered down and made a shot that many shooters including myself would normally miss.

I was surprised when they told me that I also won the Class A HAA trophy. I didn't think my scores were high enough but as I said, shooting conditions were not ideal for any of us. (193-94-90)

My 94 in the Doubles Championship was good enough to get me into a shoot-off for State Runner-up with a friend who also carded a 94. I was fortunate this time to come out on top 19 to 18 out of the 20 shoot-off targets. The runner-up shoot-off only came about becasue Kay Ohye, with 95, elected to take the Veterans trophy. That left the 94's shooting off for the Twins R/U.

I am still amazed at Bob Malmstedt for only missing 1 target in the Doubles Championship. Those targets were all over the place yet Bob just kept pounding them. What a great shooter and he is our State Doubles Champ this year.

Terry, I appreciate all the help you've given me but I still say it just cannot be that easy . . . it cannot be your wall chart . . . and even though I'm getting more confident and shooting better. . . . I'm waiting for my return back to less than mediocre shooting. Sure hope I'm wrong and it is your chart that is helping me . . . but again . . . it just cannot be that easy of a fix.

Now, let me go do some more dry-firing.

Kenny Ray

18. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Great shooting KennyRay.

Normally I am dry firing on my chart a lot earlier in the Spring. With recovering from the heart attack, tests, angiogram, angioplasty, bad back I hardly picked to gun up at all compared to most years.

I did use Phil Kiner's eye exercise video a few times and did lots of eye moves on the chart. Doing a lot of eye moves without the gun on the chart just like I am shooting keeps you sharp too.

I shot the Buckeye Classic last week and stayed in the 90's in 4 handicaps from 27 yards and broke a 95 in Friday's handicap. 99-98-97-100 in 16's. I was seeing the target real good I think all the eye aerobics exercises I did when I was not supposed to shoot helped a lot.

I shot with two juniors (a girl and boy) in Saturday's singles that were very well trained, polite and a pleasure to shoot with. After talking to them a bit I found both have different coaches that use my Wall Chart. It was fun to hit a 100 with them in the squad.

The Cardinal Center is a great place to shoot and it was great to be back shooting.

Terry.

19. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Dave You sure will tell me that I told you so, and that is much appreciated
    as usual you were right on the money. Charlie T. was out in the shop this morning for over an hour working on the chart, called the house to come look at his progress.
    Terry's chart sure was a big part of getting my head back into the game, " Thank you Terry " Things were so tough I believe even Terry was nervous, but he stuck with me.
    Chris Vendel made sure it was square, put his " little white bead " on her measured her for one of the chokes he makes. So with Terry Jorden's Chart & Chris Vendell's tune up theres not much more one can put in the confidence bank. " As long as you stay on the chart ".
    Steve

20. shotgunpeople

Hi Steve,

I almost feel like I should go into the magic business recommending Terry's Charts. I get so many people to try one, and then see these wonderful results from folks like you and Kenny Ray that I feel like a magician, and all the while it is Terry and his chart that should get all the credit.

I went out on our chart two days ago and I must admit that I haven't been on it for a couple of weeks due to a lot going on around Here. First thing I found was my yanking the gun down as I released the trigger, was back...75 or so dry fires after that took care of that problem...then I noticed I was shoulder swinging (Not moving my whole body)..Dang, another problem that had crept back..Then lastly, I realized that after the weight loss, my beads weren't lining up with my natural gun mount...I did some "Blind" mounts (With my eyes closed) and when I opened my eyes they were way apart...several baby adjustments of the comb got them back to where they should have been...

Moral of the story...If you don't stay with it, all these little things can creep back up and bite you big time, and you won't even no it until you go back to the chart after shooting some lower than normal scores...My scores had been down more than normal, and I just didn't know why...now I believe the chart figured that out for me...

I hope Charlie smoothed himself out (again)..He was another one I couldn't convince that a piece of white vinyl with some targets on it can be so effective in helping you sort out your probelms and make you a better shooter.

Go back and read Kenny Ray's second post about working toward his "Upcoming" State shoot...Then read his last post, (a few up from this) that reports his results...A Class High Over All, and A class High All Around, and a couple of other trophies ( one with a 98 in doubles) is proof enough for me...And when you took the SR Vet Caps at the Empire Grand last month...

YEP, I told ya so !!! Terry gets the credit though...

Great to hear you guys are so pleased...I knew that by using that chart and listening to, and doing as Terry told you, that you would be very pleased...And a Vendel "tune up" can do wonders also for sure...

We are meeting up with Kenny Ray and Terry in Ohio in a couple of weeks for our annual reunion with them. Should be a good time for sure hearing stories.

See you in NY next month, Dave in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.