1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Joins ATA-- Wins State Championship!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doorknee, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doorknee

Doorknee TS Member

A shooter named Dave Bennet joined the ATA for the first time Sat. morning 6-23 and ran 200 plus 125 in shootoff to win Ca.State Singles championship. Talked with his friend Sal who said he was a Skeet and Sporting Clays shooter. He also shoots in trap league.
    I think this is almost an unblieveable accomplishment.
    I hope this Sal person wasn't feeding me a bunch BS. Can anybody verify this?
    Don D.

2. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

The 2007 California state shoot results are posted on the ATA website. Mr. Bennett is listed as the Singles Champion running 200 then another 125 to defeat Mr. Sean Hawley.

I checked the shooter info center and Mr. Bennett is not listed.

It sounds like it could have happened.

Just because he wasn't ATA don't mean squat. You said he shoots league Trap, Skeet and Clays. If he is an expereinced shooter I would not say its unbelievable. If you had said the guy never picked up a gun before that morning I would agree.

Everyone has their day.

3. smartass

smartass TS Member

He must be one of those dreaded sandbaggers.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

With no registered targets under his belt, how did he get classed as a B shooter? Usually penalty A is where most are classed without enough history? That's some great shooting though regardless. Hawley may have had his buddy mind whipped but not him evidently! Great shooting! Hap

5. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

I signed him up ....he had never shot ATA before...plently for the CA state shoot is B-24-B...(it really did not matter we could have put him in A3 and he still ran the 200 standing from the 16....he shot great as did the other 10 shooters whom shot 200 straight...

Kym Hughes

6. grammie

grammie TS Member

This is a case of known ability!!! Not sandbagging!!

The fact that he was mis-handicapped is what looks bad!!! And by the rules,,,the shooter himself is responsible for telling the handicapper what he can do!!!!

Look people,,,,shooters just don't come out of the woodwork,,run two-hundred straight,,and then beat Sean Hawley one on one!!!! Not in NO ONES fantasy does this happen!!!

As it turns out,,,it didn't matter!!! I just wonder???? Hmmmm!!! How will this guy be classified from now on?????

Just asking!!!!

AKA Grammie..........

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Grammie.......you have no complaint.He was squaded as per the rules. For someone to do this is a feat, he should be commended. I my self have been A/AA for at least 5 years. No 200 yet. In fact my last 5 outings have been 99's. I say good for him.....maybe a little beginners luck?? If not california has a new shooter........

GS

8. BMC

BMC Member

I watched the shoot off and was wondering about the "B" class shooter doing so well. Watching him shoot it was evident, he wasn't lucky....he was very skilled. Every shot except one that I recall in the shoot out 125 was solid hits. I believe he could have kept on running them the way he was shooting. It was very impressive, compounded by the fact that no one knew who he was. Me thinks he will be an AAA for life after running 325 straight and winning the Championship.

9. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Well... Personally, I think he should have told the classifier that he was gonna run 325 straight targets to win the whole enchilada... Then she could have cashiered him and gave him his option money.... and saved the skin cancer risk for the pullers....

My Gawd... sandbagger or not... 325 straight in singles, who cares where they classified him. Does it really matter. He didn't go shoot from the 20 in the caps and win. In fact, what did he do in the caps??? Some guys are like singles machines, but not that strong in the other disciplines...

At least have the te**icles to tip your hat to the guy. All this sandbagger whining is truly pathetic... I have an idea.. In my sons soccer league, they don't even allow keeping score... Perhaps we should create a "no score" class for those that insist upon bellyaching...

Mr. Bennett... My congrats on a run that I have never gotten close to...

Envious in Minnesota

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

He has a perfect average so AA or AAA if it is available. Good shooting!

11. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

Great Shooting!

12. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Barry,

First of all... Is a shooters known ability based upon going to one shoot? I don't think so. If so, he needs to be AAA...

This "known ability" phrase that we use on here so much is confusing to me. Let's say, you have a good day, and get 100 straight.... But your typical shooting is 23-24 average.... Just because you occasionally have posted a good score, you should be AA or AAA??? At every shoot you attend for the next 10 years??? Thats what many of the whiners in here want...

He will get classified where he belongs after posting some scores and developing an average. He has to start somewhere...

Do you honestly believe if this guy knows he can put up a score like that, that he wants to be in B or C??? That makes no sense to me.... Sounds like he went, joined, and had a great day. Wouldn't we be raising an eyebrow more if he shot 100 straight from the 24??? Isn't that where the real money is???

What was his score in handicap??? That is a bigger question to me... I just get irritated that instead of giving credit where it is due, the first response in here is ALWAYS how the person screwed the system...

LWL

13. grammie

grammie TS Member

Iwlarson:

Scores from "other" organizations can be used to properly classify/handicap a shooter,,,,that is the purpose of "known ability"!!!

Now then,,,,Your're right,,it was good shooting!!! It was too good NOT to be a "known shooter"!!!

Winning money in a "50 bird shoot" can get you punched!!! Shooting a good score at a big shoot can get you twice the yardage then a smaller shoot!!! Why???? Known ability!!!! They know the shooter can perform!!!

Just like somebody knew this shooter could perform,,,But,,,like I said,,it dosen't matter,,,The man elected to shoot for the championship instead of taking class B,,,he went for it all!!! Thats good enough for me,,,He's not a sandbagger,,,,,far from it,,,,He's just too good to NOT BE known!!!

The whole thing though does show a "flaw" in the handicap/classifing department!!!

AKA Grammie.........

14. BMC

BMC Member

"Just because you occasionally have posted a good score, you should be AA or AAA??? At every shoot you attend for the next 10 years???"

Larson, I think this goes waaaaaay beyond occasionally posting a good score. He shot on a level that is solidly above 99 percent of all registered shooters. How many in this forum have shot 325 straight (and could have made it 400, 500 or more)? If a person can, on any given day, smash that many targets in a row, YES, they should be classified as a AA from now on. They have proven their known ability, the ability to win state championships and run hundreds of targets in a row.
    I'm not taking anything away from the guy's achievement. I was there and watched it all go down. He shot like a champ. He owned every single target that came out of the that house (except one half chipper). It doesn't matter what class he is in as he went for broke and took home the top seat. If he was handicapped as an A or AA, I doubt we would even be having this discussion.

15. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

Believe me if he comes through my classification line again he will be in AA/AAA...but I went with the rules in classifying and Handicapping him...no 1000 targets...he got put in plenlty (again that was B-24-B) he did not say that he was a hotshot sporting clay shooter or a skeet shooter...(we heard that later though) NOW he has a KNOWN abilty and I doubt anyone will put him in B class again...It was great shooting no matter what class he was in....and again I don't think it really would have mattered WHAT class he was in...AAA or D he shot great..... Kym Hughes

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

No one has mentioned how this man shot from penalty yardage at 24. How his yardage is marked on his card when he gets it back from Vandalia might prove interesting also. Singles averages are taken into consideration when it's reduction time too?

I agree with you Kym, you did nothing wrong in classifying the guy under the circumstances. That was great shooting regardless!! Hap

17. smartass

smartass TS Member

Since he is a "hot shot" skeet shooter, I can't help but wonder if he shot in a dress.

18. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

My congratulations to Mr. Bennet. He shot extremely well even for an experienced shooter. I did not see a lot of great AAA shooters out there with him.

A few years ago we had a legitimate class C shooters do almost the same thing.
    He was a member of our club and the only reason he was at the state shoot was he qualified for the zone team. (1 shooter from each class AA to D). I happened to walk by just as he completed his 1st 100. His step father was with him and both were really excited. He then broke the 2nd 100 for the 200.
    In the shoot off both he and one other shooter missed on the 6th sub event in the shootoff. He missed again on the 8 for a 200 and 198 in shootoff. For all that watched it, it was a really great shootoff and kept a large crowd in awe. So for you detractors just maybe some day you will have your day a break a 200. although probably not you are too worried about what someone else is doing. In the future only offer congratulations for a job well done. - Jim

19. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Great achievement on Mr. Bennett's part! Congratulations. Interesting comments here on classification, known ability, etc. Probably the two most important (big) issues haven't been addressed: Was he using 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. loads?; what size shot...7 1/2s or 8s? We gots to know! Best Regards, Ed

20. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Jim Elliott:

I was about in the same boat as the C class shooter you was talking about I was a B class one, and it was my day that day and ended up winning my state shoot with 16 total with 200's and went 7 straight rounds in the shoot offs.

That was 17 years ago but I was placed in the higher class for over 12 years at least, guess they figured I was going to make a repeat of it again.

At my state shoot you have to break them all in almost every class anyway it did feel good though to be the king for the day.

Foghorn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.