1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Joining ATA for Cardinal Classic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kyle Spieles, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

My dad and I have shot trap off and on for about 10 years now. This past year we have been shooting a bunch and have decided to join the ATA and shoot registered birds. We would like to shoot at the cardinal classic but I heard that you have to be an ATA member to shoot. I was under the understanding that the ATA years begins in September. How would this work for me with the cardinal classic in August? Will I have to pay the full rate for one month of shooting or is there some kind of special that I can pay for 13 months for a special amount? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

$20.00 Best deal you could make. If you can't afford the membership you can't afford to shoot registered trap.

My guess would be you will shoot more than the Classic. It gets habit forming as hell, and fun too. You will meet the best people in the world all trying to be the best they can be and having fun trying.

You will love Cardinal Center it is a very well run establishment, close to everything.

Rock

Jim

3. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I went to the Cardinal Center for the first time about a month ago for the state shoot as a spectator and was very impressed. My main question is if I join the ATA today, will it expire in September when the "new year" starts for the ATA? The only large shoot I would/could attend from now until September would be the classic. It seems silly to join just for one event and then have to renew again in another month. I fully plan on becoming a member "next year"

4. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

Kyle, go to the ATA website, get the phone number and call them. Get your answer from the horses mouth. They may pro-rate this years dues if you pay for next years. A phone call is your best bet on this one. Thanks David

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Do check with the ATA. Link above. I am pretty sure that there is no pro-rating. If it is so then you should wait until September 1st to join.

The other thing about shooting at the Cardinal Classic, you will need to get the minimum targets stated in the program between now and then to avoid shooting penalty class for singles and doubles. Penalty yardage for handicap.

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Kyle, As Jim the rock has pointed out already, the $20 isn't going to make or break you for the year. You've got to start somewhere, sometime, might as well be now. The only penalty that hurts is on the handicap. Take your lumps and jump in and enjoy the game. Best of luck, shoot well and enjoy. Bob

7. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

NO BREAKS, THE END OF THE YEAR IS AUGUST 31ST. BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS SHOOT PRACTICE ROUNDS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO JOIN YET. THE TWENTY BUCKS WOULD BE MONEY WELL SPENT.GLENN ALLISON

8. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

Just become a Life Member.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's only $20.00, come on now!! It'll be worth more than a $20.00 bill to shoot/compete in the Cardinal Classic.

Curt

10. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Kyle,
    I have not seen this year's program for the Cardinal Classic, however in years past I do not believe they have required any targets to shoot at your assigned yardage, no penalty! Stop by the Central Entry Building at Cardinal Center to join the ATA, get classified and sign up to shoot.

Good Luck,

Don Cogan

11. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

what if I would just shoot targets instead of registered birds that day? Would I be allowed to do that?

12. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Kyle, If you are not a member of the ATA you can only shoot practice on the practice trap.

13. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Wasn't there going to be a new organization in Ohio that was going to supplant the ATA? I'm sure I heard about it somewhere. BIG payouts, trapshooting the way it used to be, 3 hole targets, etc. I think that a few years ago we were all told to "stay tuned" for the big roll-out.

Whatever happened to that?

Kyle, spend the $20 and join the ATA and get in the game this year. It will be money well spent and you'll have a great time.

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Holy jumping Joseph, Kyle. I can't believe you're still beating this around. If things are that tough give me your address and I'll send you $10 to split the cost so you can afford to shoot registered at The Cardinal this target year. Why do I think perhaps Tron sponsored your post? :) Shoot well and enjoy. Bob

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'd say that if you cannot afford the $20 bucks then you should wait until you can afford it......or maybe you should wait and join the ATA for the 2011 target year and shoot the many good weather opportunities you'll have yet in 2011 at smaller club shoots that are cheaper to shoot.

The later is probably the best because it will give you a gentler introduction to registered shooting without all the hooplah of a shoot the size of the CC. Good luck!

16. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

you cannot even enter an event without an ata card. You need the magnetic swipe to pull a position, classify or pay. Go and join the excitement and shoot practice. enjoy the companionship of your family and you'll make a bunch of new friends. motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata registered birds

ata shoot the cardinall