1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

John L. Parks, Gentleman of the Sport

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by puablo, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone with an old-time friend, John Parks, from Mass. If any of you shooters from New England area have been in the sport for awhile, you would know of John. John is now 93 years young, goes to the Elks club every day and plays pool with the boys. He always sounds sharp and youthful whenever I give him a call. John no longer shoots trap. But in his hayday was a great shooter. He started shooting ATA around 1953, and made it to 47 Grand American tournaments. A few of his most treasured highlights of his long shooting career---John was member of the World's Record Doubles squad, which broke 490 X 500 back in 1963...that record stood for about 30years. The squad posted the first time ever 2/ 100straights in the same squad.
    John was one of the few people who ever shot off against Roy Rogers at the Grand. Three shooters tied with 199s in A class. John was the only guy in the shootoff wearing a cowboy hat, and when he missed one target in the first round, the crowd "wooooded and wowed" because they thought he was Roy Rogers.
    John and his wife traveled the country attending at least 20 different state shoots during his career. When John broke his first 200 straight there were 2 well known hot shots in the clubhouse with 199s who watched him finish his last trap. On his last target, John had a failure to fire and said later that he was hoping for a straight away and got it and smoked it for his perfect score. It's nice to know people in our sport like John...one of my favorite people I've met in shooting, a real gentleman. John, hope you are blessed with another 93years!

2. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Jeff,paublo

John Parks personalitly was equal to his shooting ability also.He was one of the --BIG DOGS--of New England!!!!.He shot that Model 12 with assurance when I use to watch him !!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse

3. AACT

AACT TS Member

Good you keep in touch with this fine gentleman of trapshooting, one of the best in the world in his day. He stopped shooting in 03 with over 340,000 targets. I had the privlidge of shooting many thousands of targets with him.

One year at the Spring Grand in Goodyear I was sandwitched between John & Don Mackerman. These two old greats of the sport beat the tar out of me all week. (Mr. Mackerman ran the singles @ 81. A record until last year).

Great stories of the things John did during prohibition. I think he enjoyed Poker at the shoots as much as he did shooting.

Miss him & Gladys.

Hope to see you in Bridgeport @ TheEmpire.

ESH

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Yes, John was a great shooter, but also a gentleman of the old school. Poker games were a staple of the past at the larger shoots in New England. John and his wife were always a lovely couple to behold. Good people, great times.
    God Bless, Bob

5. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Sure was fun reading about him, and of the sentiments that he invokes from other shooters who know him.

7. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Devi,

It was a real pleasure to know Mr.Parks and his wife Gladys.She would be along with him at every shoot!!!.The man was a real gentleman with a lot of class!!!!.It seems he wore a Western Hat(Cowboy Hat) most of the time if I remember right.

I was just a young fella then and he would sit down at a picnic table at a shoot and coverse with me about all my shooting questions I asked.He was one of the most impressible persons you could meet.I think if he were shooting today and he was in his prime as he was back then he would be--ONE OF THE BIG DOGS --so to speak.It was a real pleasure knowing --JOHN PARKS.I remember well the day my daughter Jennifer shot a 99 in handicap at a small shoot at Andover Ct. and John came over and congratulated her.That was a big highlight to me.

Sandy Holehouse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting is gentleman sport