1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

John Hall Case lock, how do I change combo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Buster 25, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

This past weekend I picked up a John Hall case used, But in rather good condition.
    However, instruction for the Combo Lock were not included.
    This Combo Lock looks to be in good working condition, and I wish to use it.
    How do I change or install MY combo numbers?
    Thanks for any help forth coming.

2. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Member

Try this. With the current combo in place and the lock open, move the button toward the catch opening (not away as if opening) and set the numbers.

3. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

This method did not work, Still have problem setting lock
    Tried calling Presto lock Co. No luck
    Any Suggestions out there?

4. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Open lock. Set combination to what you desire and close lock. Should be reset. Mine are original from John Hall (70's) and the newer ones may be different. Jimmy Borum

5. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I have the instructions send me a pm with name and add and I will copy and send to you.

6. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Does it really matter? A thief will take the case rather than open it and remove the gun.

BB

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

BB it does depending on the state you live in. In this state your case needs to be locked to transport from point A to point B.

There is nothing you can do if you run a foul of a criminal. However why chance running a foul of the law????

Bob Lawless

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Good point, Bob.

BB

9. mflora

mflora Member

Look at back of lock for little knurled piece. Might still have a cardboard washer on it. If so take the washer off, push knurled piece in and hold, set combo and release. Replace washer if you didn't break it taking it off. Just did one today.
    Mark

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hmmm, sounds like there may be different suppliers of the, really, cheap mechanism and, therefore, different instructions. Somehow, I have my chosen numbers on the lock and have decided to NOT fiddle with it.....breakemall

11. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

In response to "Booger Blue":

Yes, the lock is important & necessary.
    I was aboard Camp Pendleton, Ca. about 6 mo. ago.
    I had to go back to Oceanside, Ca. and buy a pad lock for the gun case I had with me at the time, before I could come on Base with my gun.
    Seems all weapons must be under lock & key these days, even on a military reservation.

And I remember "Back In The Day" as the loader on my Tank Crew, I had the responsibility of keeping up with the Browning 1919-A4, Browning M-2 (HB), and my Browning 1911-A1 in my other WALL LOCKER.
    Guess I telling my Age...lol

12. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Thanks too all for help with combo.
    Thus far this project has turned into an interesting one.
    The so called "GOOD DEAL" I picked did have some "Glitches".
    The case had some crack's, as well as missing some hardware.
    I was able to overcome the cracks with a Auto fiberglass repair kit from Pep Boys.
    Some sanding & Paint all is well.
    As for the Hardware I have been collecting John Hall case parts over the past couple of year.
    Point of interest: Seems John Hall cases came with both a LEFT or RIGHT hand lock latch, which are set opposed one another...
    Now it all comes together.
    I am currently in the process of fitting the internals for my Single, & Doubles Gun's.
    When I have this project completed I'll take photo's and pass them along too those interested.

Thanks for all your help
    Buster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to change combination on john hall case

how to change combo on john hall gun case

how to set john hall combo