1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

John Deere Lawn Mower Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by unioncracker, Jun 17, 2013.

1. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

I bought a new John Deere x300 mower from a dealer. I am hoping for suggestions in resolving the re-occurring issues with the mower.

I purchased the mower from the dealer where a friend of mine is the owner, his son pretty much runs the place and grandson is the service manager. I purchased it to support them since they have been good people to me and the owner is one of the best men I know, but here is the deal.

From the start the mower would strain to back out from under the shelter. To back out is a slight grade if that. It would just stop, whine and if the reverse lever was released it would roll forward. Once it was good and warm it would be ok unless there was any reversing under load and it backed up like a sick turtle.

I took it in to the dealer, with four hours on it and they discovered it was a quart low of oil in a 2 quart system, it has a tuff torq k46 transmission. The dealer removed the tranny, added fluid and sent me home with the assurance that if there were more issues the tranny would be replaced. With about 8.5 hours on it I took it back they ran tests and replaced the tranny. I brought it home and at about 10 hours same thing.

I have spoke to them and am not sure what to think now that they want the JD rep to look at it.

My dilemma is this:

1. They have not given me any service documents to reflect what warranty work has been done, when asked they reply it is in the computer. I don't know what to think of this but I did not press the issue, yet.

2. Now the mower will freely roll while the disengage lever is in, it has no power and of course braking is ?

3. JD is suppose to have a JD promise of replace of refund. I don't want to make issues but I am concerned that JD will give me the run around.

4. I have hence done a lot of research and many think that the k46 tranny is junk and of course my experiences may bear it out. It is my fault not to have researched more prior because I would not have purchased a mower where the tranny can not be serviced except to remove.

5. Now I consider it to have safety issues with these issues.

I am perplexed as to how to proceed since I doubt JD will upgrade the tranny or refund and I will be stuck with an inferior product for years to come and this is not what I always thought JD was about and I surely don't want hard feelings with someone who has been so good to me.

Help and suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Buddy

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They are right they have a running track of warranty problems on the computer in case there are issues in the future

JD is real good about warranty problems, they will take care of any problems, it sounds like the dealership might need a better mechanic, but they are getting real hard to find

I bought a new tractor form them a few years ago, it was about a 50 HP unit and I swear it was built on a Monday or Friday because it had more problems than was believable, I finally got fed up and said I have had enough, they paid back every dollar including interest

I did buy another tractor from them since they did that, the first tractor was a 5205, the one I got was a 5520, I love the 5520, funny how just rearranging the numbers made such a difference LOL

3. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Thanks for the good words on the warranty. I do hope they will take care of it. Just worried about the tranny. The k46 does not have a good reputation, especially for power, some think it is fine for level ground but suffers with hills. It would be better if the tranny was the type to be serviced in place instead of removing it like the better models.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't let the friendship between you and the dealer get in the way of you doing or saying what is needed to make your mower right. As stated above, John Deere is very good about standing behind their products and the dealer should do their part to make that happen as smoothly and as quickly as possible. We have always had great customer service on all our JD farm equipment. I don't see why their lawn or garden tractors would be any different.

5. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Just got back from taking the mower to the JD dealer. Seemed to be responsive since there is a concrete issue with the tranny and info I supplied from Tuff Torq. Waiting now to speak with the JD rep. I let the dealer know I wanted to see what JD customer service was about and speak with them concerning their JD promise. Thanks GRNTITAN. I went in there with a much more positive outlook. Hoping for the best.

6. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

union

I would be asking for a full refund toward another model without that trans.

I'll bet they will be receptive.

7. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

The dealer called yesterday afternoon. JD wanted to say the excessive free wheeling without pulling out the disengage lever was normal. We discussed it some more and they offered to take it back. I was reluctant but took them up on it. Will take them the paperwork and settle up to make sure they don't loose out any $$$. They are great people and have been my friends so I want to make sure all is well and that they don't get penalized by JD. Other than my uneasy feelings with the tranny it was a great mower.

I am now back on the hunt. Am looking at a cub cadet LTX1046KW. It has a hydro gear tranny(310-0510), 21.5hp Kawasaki with a 46 inch deck, but with only two blades. Not sure if it will cut as good and not sure of the cub cadet since it is made by MTD. Any thoughts, it costs 1900.00 and this is the range I would like to stay in, since I will be looking for a used tractor to do the bulk of mowing.

8. Bvr Tail

My Brother-in-Law is a very pick buyer.

He subscribes to Consumer Report, and buys most products from it exclusively.

He is shopping for a replacement for his Husqvarna rider, and is comparing JD, and Cub.

Both offer the Kaw. engine as options, but he has more "plus" items in the JD column.

Cub offered a heavier frame, but as a ex-dealer, I tried to steer him from MTD (Modern Tool & Die) products. MTD uses decent engines, but, "IN MY OPINION", most attaching parts are cheap made, and could fail early.

Six-seven years ago, I bought a Dixie Chopper from a dealer who also sold Cub. After a month, I had several bolts loosen, so I took it back for service.

He was shocked with the loose bolts on my mower, but said he would expect it on a Cub!

What's that tell you?

I would stay with the JD, just look for a different model, and then check the on-line reviews of that model.

Good luck!

9. APrice

APrice Active Member

The trouble here is that the "light duty" (i.e. cheap) hydrostatic transmissions are all doomed to fail due mostly to overheating. Most are non-serviceable (by the owner anyway) and expensive for the end-user to replace.
    Tuff Torq problems are legion throughout all the brands of tractors.

10. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Thanks for the info. At present the JD dealer called back and wanted me to rethink letting them have the mower back. They mentioned putting me in a better model x320 and then changed their mind again and wanted to let me have a new x300 so I told them to keep the old one, so I would have to say the customer service is ?. They kept talking about their cost even after it was their offer to start with. Flip flopping makes me wonder since a new one with the same model would do nothing. Just could not see spending even more when I know they have room to negotiate since I purchased my mower right after they ended a 500 sale, so I'm still looking. Hard choices since I would have liked to stay with the deere, continuing to raise prices just doesn't do it since I have gone along with them and knowing they put the cheapest tranny in the x300, just for it to break.

Thanks again

11. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a 355 GTX that I bought new, and now has about 300 hrs.+ on it, and I've never had a problem with it. All I've had to replace or work on is the usual stuff, and had a problem with ethanol gas in it, but I don't use that junk anymore. Charlie

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Cub's are not the mower they once were, and the same can be said of JD's. Neither are heavy duty like they used to be. I can hear the remarks already but they are in the same class as AYP mowers. I've repaired most makes and models and managed a repair shop. For a little more you can buy a heavy duty mower. Just my opinion. Jackie B.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I started a small "retirement" mowing business in 1995. I learned REAL fast that if you want to till a garden, plow snow, push or pull something or do other odd jobs, buy a tractor but if you want to cut grass, buy a mower.

I started with two tractors, both 18hp OHV with 46" decks, a John Deere with a Kawasaki engine and a Cub Cadet with a Kohler. Both my son and I preferred the Cub but the constant backing and turning to stripe customers' lawns was time consuming with either tractor. But any neighbor kid can mow your lawn with his dad's walk-behind mower so if your business is mowing grass, you better make it look nicer than the neighbor kid by giving it that striped "stadium" look. I mainly used the Cub and in 1996, put 184 hours on it.

In 1997, I sold the John Deere and sprung for a $6,000 Scag zero-turn rider with a 22hp Kohler and a 52" deck. I mowed MORE lawns in 1997 with the Scag and only put 108 hours on it! Real "mowers" are that much faster than tractors. In 2003, I sold the Cub Cadet and bought another Scag, an $8,200 Turf Tiger Cub with a 24hp Honda engine and a 52" deck. I still have that sucker 10 years later and it still runs and cuts grass like it did when new. The Honda engine cost $820 extra over a Kawasaki or Kohler but it runs a lot more than 2hp stronger, uses less fuel and is a lot smoother and quieter.

I recently sold the 1997 Scag to a friend who tired of all the trimming his property required with a tractor. Now a few minutes with a string trimmer is all it takes - the Scag can get to the rest without all the backing and turning of a tractor.

I no longer operate the business and our son has the 2003 Scag and our Honda walk-behind at his home. The Scag thinks it's on permanent vacation.

Ed

14. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

if you can afford it upgrade to a 500 or 700 series tractor.

I've had a x520 for 5 years and just love it. Wish I had purchased the 540 for the hydraulics though.

15. 100straight

100straight Member

I have a friend that had a JD. Not sure of the model, but it was a front engine and about a $2000-2500 mower I think. His hydrostat went out about a month out of warrantee, and he was told tough luck. They said it is built to be a "throwaway" mower, so buy another to replace it. Needless to say his replacement was NOT another JD.

I have a son that mows lawns for part of his living. He swears by Hustler and I asked him about the residential models. He says they are good, especially the new "Raptor" with the Kawasaki engine (link above). It's a zero turn and under $3000. I know that's higher than you mentioned paying, but he says it will outlast the cheap ones by at least 2 to 1, and Hustler has been running a 0% finance deal. Oh, and his dealer sells Cub also, but the dealer recommends Hustler over Cub.

Mark

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Cut to the chase and buy one like I got my wife (she does the mowing because I would use Round Up) I got he a 4720 John Deere with a 6 ft 7 Iron belly mower, 66 hp air conditioned cab, 4WD if it gets too tough, air ride seat, great stereo, so she can mow in comfort

Down side it is was over $50,000

The other down side is 66 hp is too much for the belt, she is jamming to the stereo and doesn't hear the mower bog down in tough mowing and the engine will shred the $140 belt like it was never there, as a matter of fact I just got the mower back under it today from said incident

But she loves it so that is all that matters

17. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Cat

That is quite funny. What we men do to keep our women happy. You must be a good man. Shoot straight.

Buddy

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

My neighbor has a Simplicity with that same Tuff Torq K46 Transmission. The tractor was four years old and it went out. The dealer replaced it under warranty. They had to pay some labor but the transmission was replaced by Tuff Torq.

19. Beni

Beni Member

Ive run John Deere Equpitment for 15 years starting with the old L x series tractors up to the Lt series and now the 300 Series in cemetery work which you cant get more invasive than that. Any warrenty work went through the dealer and they should be fighting for you the customer friendship aside. My tractors have upheld tremendosly with proper maintenence. Your tractor never should have left the shop low on oil period,thats the shops set up person responibility. We pound Johndeere equiptment everyday. I would stick with them as Ive seen to much breakage on the other brands.

20. Bvr Tail

AverageEd

I too did commercial mowing. I rough mowed about 170 acres, with bush hog type mowers, 3 times a year, and finish cut about 60-65 acres weekly.

I did factories, churches, work for a large city, and other large jobs on occasion.

At that time, I used front-decked Yazoo commercial mowers in 60 and 72 in..

I loved front deck mowers because you could really get under trees, or around things, and really cut down on trimming time. Plus, Yazoo were tough machines with little other than regular maintenance.

With a front decked machine, if I had trouble with climbing a grade, I would just put a little lift on the deck, and the weight would transfer to the traction tires.....no problem.

I always said that a Yazoo may not climb a hill frontward, but you could back up Mount Everest!

I also agree on the Honda engines,,,,they are very high quality.

I knew a fellow who did parking lot striping, and all his units used Hondas.

He had a friend who had a go-kart rental, and he bought all his old engines, and still ran them for years.

I'm having trouble with my Yamaha Golf Cart engine, and I would love to find a good used Honda engine to retro to it.

Search tags for this page

free wheeling lever for 1997 john deere mower

how to disengage john deere 320 transmission

john deere x320 hill side mowing

john deere x320 problems

k46 on hill

k46 transaxle